Sounds like it's not all Fran's fault we can't get grad transfers

SpiderRico

According to Pat Harty on his podcast yesterday, the U of I has the following requirements for a grad transfer:

1. Must bring in a 3.0 or greater from previous school
2. Cannot count correspondence courses from previous school
3. Must agree to attend classes 2nd semester

While I applaud them for wanting to have some modicum of academic standards for incoming athletes, that seems a little over the top to me.

As an aside, Pat told a story about Alford sort of related to this. Said when Reggie Evans transferred from JUCO and after his junior year when it was apparent that he was going to get drafted, Alford told Reggie he didn't have to worry about attending classes the 2nd semester....that he could focus on basketball and getting ready for the draft. Then, when things went really south that season, Alford suspended Reggie for a game for not attending class. What a Grade A doucher.

According to Pat Harty on his podcast yesterday, the U of I has the following requirements for a grad transfer:

1. Must bring in a 3.0 or greater from previous school
2. Cannot count correspondence courses from previous school
3. Must agree to attend classes 2nd semester

While I applaud them for wanting to have some modicum of academic standards for incoming athletes, that seems a little over the top to me.

As an aside, Pat told a story about Alford sort of related to this. Said when Reggie Evans transferred from JUCO and after his junior year when it was apparent that he was going to get drafted, Alford told Reggie he didn't have to worry about attending classes the 2nd semester....that he could focus on basketball and getting ready for the draft. Then, when things went really south that season, Alford suspended Reggie for a game for not attending class. What a Grade A doucher.

Well, those reqs would eliminate half of the guys right there.

Never was a big fan of Alf, but there must be more to the story than that.

Assuming a grad transfer is always required to enroll in a graduate degree program, these are the minimum requirements:

• A bachelor’s degree from a Regionally Accredited American College or University, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
  • A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
Academic programs and departments may have additional requirements listed on their websites or in the UI General Catalog.

https://grad.admissions.uiowa.edu/academics/graduate-college-admission-requirements

I'm having trouble finding anything about a requirement to agree to attend classes the 2nd semester. I suppose it is implied and it doesn't really matter since the basketball season rolls into the spring semester and I would hope there are class attendance requirements to play (at least within the UofI)...

I also haven't seen anything about correspondence courses being credited or not.

IMO, the biggest hang up is the 3.0 GPA requirement. What is the NCAA's requirement? 2.5GPA?

Well, those reqs would eliminate half of the guys right there.

Never was a big fan of Alf, but there must be more to the story than that.
FM mentioned in Winter Sports lunch that UofI expectations makes things a little harder.

He stated that while he is coach, there will be no issues with NCAA, or the FBI. Mentioned how others conduct their recruiting business also make it a little more difficult.

Consider many factors$ when you post, “why isn’t FM recruiting this or that guy”...

These requirements shouldn't be difficult to meet for most grad transfers.
My bad, I gave Fran a bum rap. It's impossible to recruit at Iowa! Here, for your trouble Fran, take another extension, you earned it!
Oh...and I'd like to double your buyout. Thanks.

Of course he didn't. He's 100% convinced that Connor & Joe will fix everything.
They will "fix" it enough for Gutless Gary. Fran's on the "22 win plan". Much like KF's 7 win plan. Those numbers are good enough for Gutless, in spite of the fact that attendance is declining in both sports.

Of course he didn't. He's 100% convinced that Connor & Joe will fix everything.

One thing concerns me about Connor providing part of the fix. I believe Fran has even mentioned that Connor needs to add some weight for baseball especially to maximize his potential as a power hitter. How does he do that and on the basketball side thrive in the role of steady ballhandler to take some of the pressure off Bohannon? This two sport venture very likely will get complicated and at the end of the day baseball wins out even as much as Connor enjoys basketball and wants to help his dad. Not saying he will quit basketball but I don't see how this plays out doing the things he needs to do for both sports.

Fran has made it loudly clear of his feelings about the grad transfer rule........"it's the worst rule in the history of college basketball" as he was quoted saying last year.

These feelings might explain some of Iowa's lack of activity in the grad market. Would seem a bit hypocritical to criticize the rule on one had and then actively recruit that market on the other.

Fran has made it loudly clear of his feelings about the grad transfer rule........"it's the worst rule in the history of college basketball" as he was quoted saying last year.

These feelings might explain some of Iowa's lack of activity in the grad market. Would seem a bit hypocritical to criticize the rule on one had and then actively recruit that market on the other.
It's a bit hypocritical to accept a $9 million buyout and be a crappy coach, so I don't think it really matters.

Assuming a grad transfer is always required to enroll in a graduate degree program, these are the minimum requirements:

• A bachelor’s degree from a Regionally Accredited American College or University, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
  • A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
Academic programs and departments may have additional requirements listed on their websites or in the UI General Catalog.

https://grad.admissions.uiowa.edu/academics/graduate-college-admission-requirements

I'm having trouble finding anything about a requirement to agree to attend classes the 2nd semester. I suppose it is implied and it doesn't really matter since the basketball season rolls into the spring semester and I would hope there are class attendance requirements to play (at least within the UofI)...

I also haven't seen anything about correspondence courses being credited or not.

IMO, the biggest hang up is the 3.0 GPA requirement. What is the NCAA's requirement? 2.5GPA?

If we are talking about a grand transfer wouldn’t they have graduated from their previous school in three years? That is the only way to be a grad transfer, correct?

If that is the case, then wouldn’t someone that graduated with a four year degree in three years probably also have a 3.0 grade point average? If so then the 3.0 requirement for a graduate program is probably relevant.

Or am I missing something?

If we are talking about a grand transfer wouldn’t they have graduated from their previous school in three years? That is the only way to be a grad transfer, correct?

If that is the case, then wouldn’t someone that graduated with a four year degree in three years probably also have a 3.0 grade point average? If so then the 3.0 requirement for a graduate program is probably relevant.

Or am I missing something?
5 years to play 4, so doesn't have to be in 3 years.

It's a pretty smart business move to get a $9 million buyout while being an average coach.

Fran is simply a genius who has developed a foolproof 5 step program...

1) Sign contract with new team
2) Gradually improve win total each year
3) Sign extension or return to step 1
4) Tank the program <--- we are currently here
5) Return to step 2