Soundoff Last night

Bigtenchamp

I didn't see a thread about this - so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Was a good one I thought.... Jon you seemed in a good frame of mind, all things considered - maybe you had already heard everything you were going to here.

I don't know how you guys kept a straight face with the Liar's Club phone call and the "roast beef" however....

I didn't see a thread about this - so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Was a good one I thought.... Jon you seemed in a good frame of mind, all things considered - maybe you had already heard everything you were going to here.

I don't know how you guys kept a straight face with the Liar's Club phone call and the "roast beef" however....

It's easy to be in a good frame of mind. I have two healthy children, a loving wife, a roof over my head, a heater that works, I can afford to put food on the table and I enjoy my job most all of the time. Blessings upon blessings.

I refuse to let things I cannot control rule me even slightly. Sure, I have emotional grease fires, but I tend to put them out and compose myself before I emote to the world.

I am disappointed, same as everyone, although I am not going to let it affect me beyond what it deserves.

It's easy to be in a good frame of mind. I have two healthy children, a loving wife, a roof over my head, a heater that works, I can afford to put food on the table and I enjoy my job most all of the time. Blessings upon blessings.

I refuse to let things I cannot control rule me even slightly. Sure, I have emotional grease fires, but I tend to put them out and compose myself before I emote to the world.

I am disappointed, same as everyone, although I am not going to let it affect me beyond what it deserves.

Truth.

I'm perturbed at the performance of my alma mater but I'm sure in the hell not going to let it ruin even a minute of my day. Because really...it's entertainment... and I can't control any of it.

I guess that's why I've always enjoyed participating in sports over watching them...because at least then I have some control and dominion.

I do like to rant though, I'm not gonna lie.

Jon I assume you still are pretty close to Deace - what is his take on this end of season Hawkeye losing streak?

Very well said, Jon. I have 5 children and they all line up in front of TV, dressed in black and gold, to watch game with me, from 3 year old to 21 yeard old. This father however will not from now on reserve 4 hours on Saturdays to watch hawkeyes, unless it is ugly weather outside and I have nothing else to do with them - which is not very often here in Austin.

After watching the team quit on KF and coaches I am ****** to no end. That should never happen to an elite program, which we obviously are not. KF is playing percentages with all of us and treats us like retards in his communication with fans. I can take 7:5 season (I was happy after Wisconsin game, although we lost, because it was a great game) - life moves on - but I cannot accept the game like last one. There is no excuse for that.

Well said!

Years ago I also took the attitude not to let things I cannot control rule me.

That said, it's hard not to be bothered by a team you love not playing up to their potential (as in the Northwestern and Minnesota losses). What's really bothersome is when a senior leader said the team lost their will to win. That's quitting; a trait no team with any amount of pride should have.

Perspective is good especially when we gain it ourselves - sometimes when others are trying to tell us to keep things in perspective we don't want to hear it though (and not that we don't know they are right)

I remember 1997 (I was attending Iowa then and Tim Dwight lived two doors down from me in Slater in 1995) and I remember thinking we would be good - but no season has hurt like this one - maybe its irrational and there have been plenty of years where I just wasn't as passionate.

I think it was last year - the success of last year created a hope in my mind that got stomped on this year like never before.

The fact that we all care so much is of utmost important - the moment we don't care that means the program is dead.

Tune into KXNO at 3...I am filling in for Murph and Andy and Deace will be on then

Blah... I wanted to hear this also - but I have to work the scorers table at a 8th grade basketball game.... I don't think they will let me run a radio.

I can turn it off when the official has to tell me who the foul was on....

Here's a little perspective for you. Yeah, the Hawks were bad 5 of the last 6 games this year. However, here's why their season doesn't mean quite as much.

My dads lady companion of the past 16 years passed away 3 months ago. My sons basketball coach and good friends of ours had a 19 year old daughter pass away 3 weeks later while at college. The best man at my wedding found out his 20 year old daughter has a malignant brain tumor. My sons teammates mom died suddenly of a heart attack 3 weeks ago. His best friends mom just had surgery for breast cancer last Tuesday. His football coach just found out last Monday their 15 year old son had a brain tumor and had surgery last Tuesday as well.

The Hawks, as disappointing as they were this year, don't compare to the real life situations our friends have been going through.

That's just a little perspective on the Hawks and real life.

Truth.

I'm perturbed at the performance of my alma mater but I'm sure in the hell not going to let it ruin even a minute of my day. Because really...it's entertainment... and I can't control any of it.

I guess that's why I've always enjoyed participating in sports over watching them...because at least then I have some control and dominion.

I do like to rant though, I'm not gonna lie.

Those are pretty contradictory ideas there. If you don't let it ruin even a minute of your day, then why do you spend so much time b*tching about it? Forget it and move on with your life.

I don't necessarily have the clearest perspective when it comes to the Hawks. I had a REALLY rough time adjusting to being away from home when I got on campus here (in 2008). I had a lousy roommate, only one person from my high school came here (and we didn't share many interests), and not many people from high schools in our conference came here either. I felt totally alone.

I leaned pretty heavily on the Hawks to get me though the year. Shonn Greene gave me a lot of fantastic memories that year, he helped get me through each week. Last year I didn't lean on them quite as much, but with the success we were having on the roller coaster, it was tough not to rely on them as something to look forward to. Coming into this year was more of the same (though I've been fully adjusted to campus life for some time now), and it's been tough watching them struggle so much. I'll still be supporting the team 110%, it's just this season has been pretty rough.

I don't necessarily have the clearest perspective when it comes to the Hawks. I had a REALLY rough time adjusting to being away from home when I got on campus here (in 2008). I had a lousy roommate, only one person from my high school came here (and we didn't share many interests), and not many people from high schools in our conference came here either. I felt totally alone.

I leaned pretty heavily on the Hawks to get me though the year....

I went through something similar back in '97. I was seperated on the verge of divorce and I distinctly remember being of the mindset that I "needed" the Hawks to have a special season that year and when they didn't it was just all the more heart breaking.

If the team truly quit then they should not be going to a bowl game because all they are going to do is embarass themselves, the University, and the State of Iowa and disappoint a bunch of fans that believe in them and who spend a bunch of money following them.

If the team truly quit then they should not be going to a bowl game because all they are going to do is embarass themselves, the University, and the State of Iowa and disappoint a bunch of fans that believe in them and who spend a bunch of money following them.

Even though we were all bothered by the "Quitter" quote I would expect that they will pull together for the bowl game. That's just a guess, but I think that with a month to prepare they will be in a better frame of mind by that time.

Latest posts