Some observations from today's game

BoiseDB

-Thad Matta could grease a fairly large skillet with his nose.

-Jarrod Utoff looks like an under-fed house cat...in a good way.

-Gaybola Shaney looks like a nativity scene king. Has a very royal look to him somehow.

-Aaron Craft is like a bad, lingering fart. You just can't get away from him/it.

-Iowa is good.

-Gaybola Shaney looks like a nativity scene king. Has a very royal look to him somehow.

-Aaron Craft is like a bad, lingering fart. You just can't get away from him/it.

-Iowa is good.

Gaybola Shaney... Made me chuckle

-Iowa is good.

All accurate. All funny.

-Iowa is good.

Hehe

McCabe has become a liability. 1-16 3 point shooting since Iowa State game (he went 0-7 total in that game). 0-8 today including 0-5 from 3 point range. 3-23 from behind the line going back to the Drake game. 4 made 3s in all of December and January so far. This seems to be more than just a slump...if the rotation was to be shortened I would start with McCabe.

McCabe has become a liability. 1-16 3 point shooting since Iowa State game (he went 0-7 total in that game). 0-8 today including 0-5 from 3 point range. 3-23 from behind the line going back to the Drake game. 4 made 3s in all of December and January so far. This seems to be more than just a slump...if the rotation was to be shortened I would start with McCabe.
Interesting numbers. His shooting slump combined with foul trouble + the disappearance of Peter Jok = playing time for Oblesby

That Italian guy for OSU is one ugly dude.
Uthoff needs more minutes
Zach will be ok....bad game indeed but I still want him on my team
Craft had 36 fouls today
I'm glad White left Ohio

I liek all of these points but the bolded one especially.

Knowing what they know now, is there a coach anywhere in the B1G -- hell, anywhere in the US -- who would not kill to have our Aaron on their team?

I liek all of these points but the bolded one especially.

Knowing what they know now, is there a coach anywhere in the B1G -- hell, anywhere in the US -- who would not kill to have our Aaron on their team?

freddy, cause he didn't knock off a kwik star then transfer in.

Zach is just in a slump, a big slump and he will get out of it this season.....

Over the years he has made some huge shots for us and will again.....

He plays very good D and is tough playing it and he can rebound and pick up the garbage......

They are times when I question why we don't have that many shooters or scorers in there, but Fran knows the answer.....

In a day where I am almost totally focused on all the great things that have just happened (Iowa basketball is BACK - BIG TIME!!) this is one of the negatives I took away from today.

I hear ad nauseam that, "A shooter just needs to keep shooting." I've never bought it. What I mean is, when you are in a slump, you don't just keep jacking up "3's". You try to get offensive put-backs, back-door-cut lay-ups (like with the pass he fed Uthoff with), and getting to the free throw line. Then after you've gotten some points that way, if you get an open 3-look in rotation (like the 3's made consecutively by Geselle, White and Uthoff, and later Oglesby), chances are that one, and maybe the ones after that, will go down.

McCabe is a Senior - he should know better, and he should also know that he has to bring his best game on the road. That's three key road games in succession where he has stunk the place up.

I get the impression that Iowa won today because the Hawks learned every lesson from the three games they had lost. McCabe would do well to try to learn the same lessons, before he gets "pined" for the rest of his career.

In a day where I am almost totally focused on all the great things that have just happened (Iowa basketball is BACK - BIG TIME!!) this is one of the negatives I took away from today.

I hear ad nauseam that, "A shooter just needs to keep shooting." I've never bought it. What I mean is, when you are in a slump, you don't just keep jacking up "3's". You try to get offensive put-backs, back-door-cut lay-ups (like with the pass he fed Uthoff with), and getting to the free throw line. Then after you've gotten some points that way, if you get an open 3-look in rotation (like the 3's made consecutively by Geselle, White and Uthoff, and later Oglesby), chances are that one, and maybe the ones after that, will go down.

McCabe is a Senior - he should know better, and he should also know that he has to bring his best game on the road. That's three key road games in succession where he has stunk the place up.

I get the impression that Iowa won today because the Hawks learned every lesson from the three games they had lost. McCabe would do well to try to learn the same lessons, before he gets "pined" for the rest of his career.

There is absolutely no way he will be pined for the rest of the season, or even a game. He does the things the the average observer doesn't notice and the Hawkeye Coach certainly notices it. That is why he is playing. Are you questioning Fran's game strategy. He seemed to do OK today guiding the team who played their best game in a long time......

I really wouldn't really get that worked up over Zach. We just had a Landmark win at Columbus against a top 5 team. I can't rememer the last time we won at OSU, somewhat like football......

Attempt to enjoy the win today, everybody else is......

:rolleyes:

I was wondering if there was any way possible for people to complain about this game. It was only the 3rd time in the last 5 seasons Ohio State lost back to back games. We made free throws down the stretch. Woodbury actually got put back in the game late for a change...which helped us on defense. We came back from down 9. Basabe was in the game at crunch time as he should be IMO. The rotation was shortened quite a bit in the latter stages of the game. Oglesby made a couple of 3s. It was a signature road win. The win keeps us in the conversation for regular season conference champions. I guess the focal point really should be Zach having a bad day shooting the ball.

I was wondering if there was any way possible for people to complain about this game. It was only the 3rd time in the last 5 seasons Ohio State lost back to back games. We made free throws down the stretch. Woodbury actually got put back in the game late for a change...which helped us on defense. We came back from down 9. Basabe was in the game at crunch time as he should be IMO. The rotation was shortened quite a bit in the latter stages of the game. Oglesby made a couple of 3s. It was a signature road win. The win keeps us in the conversation for regular season conference champions. I guess the focal point really should be Zach having a bad day shooting the ball.

I think GVGiant's point is just an observation, not an excuse for complaining. My earlier post certainly was an observation and that is the point of this thread. No one in their right mind is complaining after today's game. Let's not confuse critical observations for complaining.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have no critical observations after our biggest win in quite awhile. I could start threads on 20 different positive topics after this game. I'm not going to focus on someone's bad shooting day...wouldn't even bring it up as there's no reason.

It'd be one thing if he was taking contested shots, but that wasn't the case. They were wide open shots. I have no issues with him shooting the shots he took today. If he's not hitting and with our depth Fran just needs to go a different direction as he did late in the 2nd half and McCabe was happy as any of them at the end of the game he gave Fran a big hug.

I thought McCabe, despite his poor offensive showing, did some other things that helped the Hawks. He got 4 boards, 3 assists (game high tie with Gessel and Marble), had only 1 TO, and played decent D. I'm glad he was on the floor for 16 minutes.

Latest posts