Some glimpses of good offense last night.

HawkeyeJoel

Last night there were a few possessions where I was very impressed by the ball movement and floor spacing. It made me hopeful for the future, to be honest, and realize that this offense can work if the players get enough time playing it and START DEVELOPING ROLES in the offense. Fuller seemed to find his niche last night, and Brommer had some nice moves to the hoop off the pick and role.

A very inexperienced Hawk team played pretty well against a bad team. With time I think this Hawk core will begin to play better against good teams and be competitive two years from now.

I think this team actually moves the ball better than last year's team. They just don't have Jake Kelly to bail them out if the shot clock is running down. I have seen some pretty good spacing and they have actually fed the ball down low alot more this year compared to last. They just need more consistent outside shooting and more depth. And yes, another pg would help!

I noticed some better spacing as well LONG ways to go tho.

ForeverHawk I often wonder what 1 player who could create off the dribble would do for this team (ex. Jake Kelly). I think it would help a lot of problems.

Jake Kelly would have made this team much more competitive. Not only can he create his own shot, but he's a tall guard that can help with the press and trap. Payne and J. Lickliter had all kinds of trouble against the press last night.

What I'm hoping is that May or Gatens can develop that off the dribble aspect to their game. Between the two I think Gatens is more fundamentally sound which may actually hinder his off the dribble game. May seems to be a quicker leaper than Gatens and if he can improve his shooting in traffic, I think he'll become a great player for us. I think Gatens will greatly improve if he can settle into the offense and let the scoring opportunities come to him. The problem now is that we don't have the depth of talent due to transfers. If no one transfers after this season, I think we have a great core of young players with good ones on the way.

They have shown the ability to play offense against the poorest teams in the country. They have not been able to show they can play offense against better competetion all year for any set amount of time and that is a real problem IMO. Even though the team is young they have played together long enough this year that they should be able to play some consistent offense against better teams for longer periods of time and they just have not been able to do that. This team has been barely able to put together any consistency at all on the offensive end against good teams and turns the ball over much too often. Against good teams Iowa is typically in games for about half a half to a half a game and by now they should be able to do much better. They should be able to play some teams I would think a full game or at least 3/4 of a game and they can't even come close to that. And that is bothersome.

I didn't expect much this year but I expected them to be more competetive than what they are and have been thus far. I didn't expect them to be this bad in my wildest dreams even lacking an experienced point guard.