Sobering trophy fact

Hawkfromnorwalk

Iowa hasn't held two trophies in a season since the unforgettable 2009 season when we captured all three (at that time). Since then we had the CyHawk in 2010, none in 2011, and Floyd in 2011. Iowa has yet to capture the Hero's trophy from Nebby and hasn't had a chance to regain the Heartland since 2010.

After watching the Wiscy game, I feel like they'll be a little tougher than I expected. Although, I think if you make them one dimensional (much like OSU did), then you greatly increase your chances. Defensively, they seem better than I expected.

Also, is it too late to come up with a trophy for our hated rival, Purdue?

Last edited:
The Heartland will be a tough get, but should be fun.
Hawks really need to go to Lincoln and punch that wuss D in the mouth one.

The Heartland and Heroes are contrived. Talk to me when they've been around 50 years.

Not unlike nicknames. A generation or two or three ago...you got a nickname from something you did, said, a personality quirk or persona. And it manifested organically. Now people give themselves...a nickname. Uh, no.

The great trophies out there...Floyd, Paul Bunyan's Axe, the Old Oaken Bucket, the Little Brown Jug...all have great stories and history behind them. They weren't created by a marketing intern in the SID's office.

Then again...today's players are part of the "everybody gets a trophy generation". So maybe it's fitting.

Last edited:
Yeah but we also have two Lombardy trophies from winning our Super Bowls over Iowa State and Minnesota.

Hy-Vee Heroes Trophy, please people its the Hy-Vee Heroes trophy and they honor two heroes before the HEROES GAME.

Yeah...Wisconsin is going to present some problems. They have a good passing game...and you have to put pressure on Stave...or else he will hurt you. Right now, from what I've seen, it's pretty clear Wisconsin and OSU are the best teams in the Big10 by a long shot. I know everyone is talking NW, but I think we will find out alot about them next with the OSU going into Evanston.

The main difference I see in these teams is speed in the DL, especially OSU. Although great against the run, our DL doesn't have the quicks to make plays against a B. Miller or C. Colter type of QB. That's going to present problems. I'm hoping, going to Meier or Alston in obvious passing downs improves that, but I think the jury is still out on that experiment.

Iowa is improving and winning on the road builds confidence...even if it's Minnesota and ISU. We are dominating teams physically, especially on the DL, now we need to make the plays at the end of drives to put points on the board consistently...even if it's three.

I wouldn't say Heartland is contrived. At least with Wiscy we had played them for decades and then they decided to add a trophy as a prize. Heroes is contrived.

yeah, because "Heartland" has such a specific meaning. (NOT). Just adding a trophy because you've played somebody a lot doesn't give it meaning. If there was a great story about some guy in Dubuque who fought with his cousin in Platteville over their rivalry...we'd have a story.

But there is no "story"..no "urban legend". So there is no basis for a trophy. Wisconsin and Iowa play for a trophy every year...just like they do with every other Big Ten team. It's called the Big Ten Championship.

If there's something more unique to the rivalry, a great sub-plot, characters, an interesting story... COOL... tell the story. If not, don't blow smoke up my azz with some contrived trophy that has no inherent meaning behind it.

In short. "Reality TV" sucks. Give me a real story.

Last edited:

Latest posts