So who's the leader next year?

SpiderRico

So far in Fran's short tenure, he's had the privilege of having 2 of the better senior captains in recent memory in Jared Cole and Matt Gatens. While neither were very vocal leaders, they both went about their business in a "professional" manner and commanded the respect and admiration of all their teammates.

So the question for next year now becomes......Who steps up and becomes the leader?

Is it May? Doubtful as it appears May's minutes will continue to diminish with the infusion of talent and as injuries start to take a real toll. In addition, he's never appeared to be much of the leader type in the 3 years he's been here.

Devyn Marble? Possibly. He's a legacy. He's got a great game and has really appeared to take on more of a leadership mentality once Bryce went down and he became the PG full-time.

Mel Basabe? Doubtful as he's always sort of marched to the beat of his own drum.

Zach McCabe? I could see this. He's a former quarterback, so he understands leadership. He's basically a football player playing basketball, so he knows all about toughness. He's the most physical player we have on our team. He's a born and bred Iowan.

Aaron White? I could see this as well. He's the most skilled player we have returning. All-Freshman team member and honorable mention all conference. Probably the best work ethic on the team. Plays with a chip on his shoulder and isn't afraid to be vocal when need-be.

So if I had to bet, I think both McCabe and White take the mantel of team leader from Gaten next season.

What does anyone else think?

Any you listed above. If May is unable to take the leadership role I am sure one of the Juniors will do it.

I think leaders in the huddle/vocal leaders will be McCabe and Marble.

But part of me has a feeling we're gonna see a different Melsahn Basabe next year.

I think leaders in the huddle/vocal leaders will be McCabe and Marble.

But part of me has a feeling we're gonna see a different Melsahn Basabe next year.

I think this is our answer. White, for now, is more of the "lead by example" type. Marble and McCabe will be the ones who are more vocal.

i think it will play out like this:

captain next yr - may (more of a sentimental thing being the senior and paid his dues)

leader(s) - i think it will take 2 to fill matt's shoes in this respect. 1) intensity - aaron white: when he is on the floor everyone steps up to his level of intensity and matt has that too. 2) finisher - devyn marble: he has the makings of being able to take a team on his back and lead as the star.

i think it will play out like this:

captain next yr - may (more of a sentimental thing being the senior and paid his dues)

leader(s) - i think it will take 2 to fill matt's shoes in this respect. 1) intensity - aaron white: when he is on the floor everyone steps up to his level of intensity and matt has that too. 2) finisher - devyn marble: he has the makings of being able to take a team on his back and lead as the star.
You don't name someone a captain for sentimental reasons. So it won't be May. You undermine the concept of having a captain if you do that

undermind's the concept of captain? that is a joke. captaincy can be for a lot of things. sometimes an upperclassmen thing, sometimes a popularity contest, sometimes it is a leadership thing. it all depends on how it is determined with each team.

undermind's the concept of captain? that is a joke. captaincy can be for a lot of things. sometimes an upperclassmen thing, sometimes a popularity contest, sometimes it is a leadership thing. it all depends on how it is determined with each team.
Whens the last time we have had a good team without a good PG?

When i think of good hawk teams recently i think of woolridgre, oliver, horner

what May lacks on the court he can more than make up for in practice, there's more to this than just leadership on the court, nobody here see's what May brings in practice. and May still has the summer and fall to get fully healthy for his senor year

The PG is the leader of a team. We will struggle with leadership next year.
So you think the leader for next year is not even on campus yet? Or are you thinking Marble will start at the point? I think Marble will be the leader next year.
Obviously im not in the locker room or on the floor but i cant recall seeing devyn hardly ever say a word. Both White and Zach are hustle and effort guys and can lead in that way.
We still need a leader that will get us in the offense and it has to be a guard or point forward type player which we dont have at this point.

what May lacks on the court he can more than make up for in practice, there's more to this than just leadership on the court, nobody here see's what May brings in practice. and May still has the summer and fall to get fully healthy for his senor year

What does May bring to practice?

Latest posts