So, who else cringes every time they hear "ISU football has turned the corner"?

GodGodGodBathia

While they definitely have improved, I don't think they can say they turned the corner just yet. Seven wins over the sisters of the poor and Nebraska make for one good solid year but doesn't mean that the program is just going to go up. It doesn't even happen if Nebraska has ONE less turnover in their game.

I'm happy that they had a good season, but it's too early to make the assumption that they've turned the corner based off one season. It's only going to make for some disappointed people if the Lord and Savior Paul Rhoads doesn't do well next season.

IMHO, isu turning corner is a non starter. While we hear that corner cliche, we also hear about the Big 12 meltdown and isu going to the WAC or MAC.

My recommendation, focus on the Hawks and their corners; forget about the clowns.

I think ISU loses 8 starters on defense for next season. Their O could be improved, but if they can't play defense like usual, UH OH.

Turning the corner means 6-7 win seasons, I don't expect ISU to compete for championships any time soon. I read a lot of them thinking their recruiting class from 2010 was good, but a lot of their recruits from Texas and Florida had offers from schools like Western Kentucky and FIU. Not all of them, but over half of them.

Until they start recruiting with other BCS level schools, they wont sniff any big time bowls.

And I don't cringe, but I certainly chuckle.

For some reason I feel better about this. For one, I don't think Rhodes will put quite the emphasis that Mac did on the game. Also, I would love to have 2 good teams in state. There is nothing worse than losing to a team because of a rivalry, but then watching them stink it up the rest of the year.

While they definitely have improved, I don't think they can say they turned the corner just yet. Seven wins over the sisters of the poor and Nebraska make for one good solid year but doesn't mean that the program is just going to go up. It doesn't even happen if Nebraska has ONE less turnover in their game.

I'm happy that they had a good season, but it's too early to make the assumption that they've turned the corner based off one season. It's only going to make for some disappointed people if the Lord and Savior Paul Rhoads doesn't do well next season.

I cringe when I see cyclown topics on the iowa football board, but that's just me.

Keep in mind that if you turn the corner three times you are back where you started.

As a Cyclone fan, I honestly haven't seen anybody associated with the program saying we have "turned the corner". Most in fact, expect it to take 3-4 years before we can hope to seriously elevate the program. Last year was unexpectedly positive and certainly Rhoads has exceeded all expectations thus far, but we all understand he has a tough next couple of years ahead. The hope is that we may "turn the corner" starting in 2012 when Texas, Oklahoma and Tech drop off the schedule for two years. This, hopefully, will let the program gain a little momentum and perhaps start bowling consistently. Perhaps even win the North division at that time...which would be a landmark step forward for the program. So its baby steps for ISU...and while there's much optimism right now...there is also a strong sense of realism and patience.

Rhoads is the right guy for ISU. That is pretty much an article of faith at ISU. My personal opinion is that he is to ISU what Hayden Fry was to Iowa...that may be overly optimistic but I wouldn't be much of a fan if I was a pessimist.

Nice overview Mesaclone. Iowa State is in a tough situation competing against Big Twelve schools particularly those in the south and you are realistic in your assessment.

Or YOU could post them in the Rivalry forum, but we know you can't read.

You don't happen to work fast food, do you?

:eek:

Actually it is Hawkeye football, as Iowa State happens to be on Iowa's schedule. Therefore, any talk about Iowa State is relevant to Iowa.

Did I see you at Burger King yesterday...?

Actually it is Hawkeye football, as Iowa State happens to be on Iowa's schedule. Therefore, any talk about Iowa State is relevant to Iowa.

Did I see you at Burger King yesterday...?

Whether Iowa State has "turned the corner" or not, isn't relevant to our game with them.

You don't mention anything about that specific game, so therefore it isn't relevant.

And yes, you did see me at BK, you took my order.

Why anyone pays attention to the cyclowns outside of the week we play them is beyond me.

I kept up on how they were doing every week, and watched as many of their games as I could. Cause you know, I like to keep track of how tough our schedule ends up looking. It doesn't say much to beat up a 1-10 ISU team. It's much better to say we beat a 7-6 ISU team that beat Nebraska and won a bowl game. Makes us look better for pounding on them.

Comparing anyone associated with isu to Hayden Fry is laughable. Come on man! We will smash them this year at Kinnick!

He's not saying that Rhoades is as good of a coach. He's saying that Rhoades could end up meaning as much to the program as Fry did for us. That's not laughable at all.

I'm not QUITE sure if that's true, though. McCarney would have a stake in it. He's the one who made ISU relevant at all. So Rhoades could maybe the the KF for the ISU program. Either way, that's not a bad gig to have.

Latest posts