So tired of seeing Garza get hammered!

verlandj

I'm not blaming this loss on this (it is totally on the hands of our lazy defense), but i get so frustrated seeing Garza get hammered every time he touches the ball. I saw one instance tonight where they replayed the offensive segment in slo mo and Garza got fouled 3 different times on one possession. The way they are "letting them play", the refs may as well let the defense carry baseball bats so they can just beat him with them whenever he gets the ball! I feel so sorry for him when he works so hard and the defense is allowed to push and hack him constantly. Just think what he could do if they would actually call fouls. I realize that with him being so dominating that he's going to get all kinds of attention when he gets the ball but this is ridiculous. We get whistled when we commit a foul, except for tonight when we were fouling to try to stop the clock and they seemed to have swallowed their whistles..... I think this hurts the B1G in the post season when they are accustomed to being able to play so rough and then in the NCAA they won't get by with that and will be in foul trouble 8 minutes into the game.

they are accustomed to being able to play so rough and then in the NCAA they won't get by with that and will be in foul trouble 8 minutes into the game.
I agree with what you are saying. This part of what you said could go both ways. We could get in foul trouble, or Garza may not draw the contact that he has been, which will definitely work to his advantage.

Yes, there is a lot of contact against him, heavy bumping and arm contact, and bodying him up. I am not sure how many opposing players he has caused to foul out or ride the bench extra minutes but he doesnt seem to be drawing many fouls when I watch.

But the flipside is that if Garza would or could really get his feet and legs under him and power up 4 or 5 inches higher even with the rim he would leave many of these players lower than him and the fouls would more likely be called or he would make many more shots.

You do what you have to do to slow him down. “Being aggressive”, “being physical” however you want to label it....it is just part of it.

If I were coaching against him I would do the same thing. Make the refs call it.

Consider the absurdity of the "cylinder" foul called just for the Ohio state defender dry humping Connors leg. Garza gets far worse than that nearly every second he is on the floor.

You do what you have to do to slow him down. “Being aggressive”, “being physical” however you want to label it....it is just part of it.

If I were coaching against him I would do the same thing. Make the refs call it.
The trouble is, it doesn't seem like we're allowed to do that, we get the whistle as soon as we touch the shooter. Once in a while we get by with some aggressive play, but not very often.

I disagree with the we don't get the calls we deserve. We had 13 fouls last night and the Buckeyes had 19. Sometimes it looks like as soon as Garza splits the double team he gets the whistle. The buckeyes were 14-32 last night from three. Iowa was also, 14-32 from three. So where do we find 4 points to go to overtime? Easy, two free throws and one of the several missed bunnies we had in the first half. So an efficient Iowa team needs to be a wee bit more efficient.

Late January is about the time every year that the refs let more and more go IMO. It’s not likely to change.

Latest posts