Lohaus
Wright

Off the Bench:
Horton
Moe
Lorenzen
Reaves
Jones

In '87 they SHOULD have been in the final four. IMO, that team would be a NC contender in this year's tournament.

Starters:
Armstrong
Gamble
Marble
Lohaus
Wright

Off the Bench:
Horton
Moe
Lorenzen
Reaves
Jones

In '87 they SHOULD have been in the final four. IMO, that team would be a NC contender in this year's tournament.

Pretty much any top 25 team from the late 80's early 90's would be a title contender in this year's field. The talent level has fallen off so much since then.

Factoring they grew up in today's environment (diet/ work out ect) they would be the top team in the country hands down.

Factoring that out bringing them in exactly as they were in 1987, they would be a top 15team and a dark horse favorite IMHO.

How about the '70 team that averaged over 100 pts. in the Big Ten without the three point arc & the shot clock. That team was made for today's game.

Without a doubt that team was the best shooting Iowa team I've ever seen. The '70 team shot 52.3 percent from the field & 78.0 percent from the line. John Johnson lead the way with 56.9 percent shooting & 27.9 points a game. Vidnovic shot 87.5 percent from the line.

Calabria shot 54.8 percent from the field, 80.1 percent from the line & scored 19.1 points per game. Freddie Brown shot 50 percent from the field, 80.2 percent from the line, for only 17.9 points a game.

Oh, by the way, Vidnovic averaged 17.3 points a game & Ben McGilmer came off the bench to average 10.3 points a game.

I agree with the comments about the '87 team being a better group of basketball players, but I wonder how they would be when they run up against all the contact that is allowed on defense in todays game.

The talent level is not down, unless you're talking about Iowa. Anyone thats good enough to play in the nba doesn't stick around anymore. Example: Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Cole Aldrich/Xavier Henry, Blake Griffin, Kentucky's starting 5 from last year, Gordon Heyward, the list goes on. So if the '87 team were to play in this era against guys that all stuck around for 4 years, they probably wouldn't be as dominate as you think.

Latest posts