So a Syracuse player is declared ineligible the Tuesday after selection Sunday?

troy

The timing of this announcement is curious, especially since Syracuse has secured a #1 seed.

The Orange only lost two games the entire season. What seed would you give them? Melo's ineligibility would have no influence on their seed regardless of when they announced it.

The Orange only lost two games the entire season. What seed would you give them? Melo's ineligibility would have no influence on their seed regardless of when they announced it.

Good point. I agree that they should be seeded #1. But how was he eligible last week and not this week? Did the 'Cuse allow an ineligible player to play throughout the season?

Good point. I agree that they should be seeded #1. But how was he eligible last week and not this week? Did the 'Cuse allow an ineligible player to play throughout the season?

That's exactly the issue. The semester started in January so if he's ineligible now then one has to assume its due to his grades from last year.

That's exactly the issue. The semester started in January so if he's ineligible now then one has to assume its due to his grades from last year.

Or they found out he was flunking a class right now and not going to classes. So they took that and decided to declare him ineligible now.

Not much different than Duke & North Carolina stating that their injured players would be ready for the tournament. Now they aren't sure.

Or they found out he was flunking a class right now and not going to classes. So they took that and decided to declare him ineligible now.

True. Still though, if he didn't already have bad grades before then it wouldn't matter if he was flunking now because schools are always a semester behind. He would be able to take a summer class and still be eligible now. Speculation blows...

Syracuse would have been a 1 seed either way. Syracuse was the one who made him ineligible not the NCAA.

My speculation, which has no merits or shred of any evidence, is that he got caught with some nose candy. Drugs make the most sense due to the timing of all of this.

Its Spring Break time. Mid-term grades are being given to coaches at most schools. I'm sure Fran & staff are aware of the academic progress of all non-senior players.

Nobody gets suspended due to mid-term grades....nobody. There is more to this than is being reported.

Agreed. It cannot be current grades. It may have had something to do with the fall semester and then carried over til now, I dont know. But the timing sure is odd given all of Syracuse's recent problems.

Agreed. It cannot be current grades. It may have had something to do with the fall semester and then carried over til now, I dont know. But the timing sure is odd given all of Syracuse's recent problems.

According to the Syracuse newspaper it is academic issues.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2012/03/syracuse_center_fab_melo_ruled.html

Also, from what I've been able to piece together it is a continuation of the previous academic issue together with Melo's progress this semester.

Nobody gets suspended due to mid-term grades....nobody. There is more to this than is being reported.

MAYbe, just MAYbe, he was told "if" he met certain requirements he could continue to play. Maybe NCAA tourney time was a "deadline" of sorts.

Sounds like it's between Melo and Syracuse U, NOT Melo/Syracuse and NCAA...

If this was known it would have absolutely impacted their seeding. Cincinnati lost a #1 seed after an injury to a key player in Kenyon Martin.

I think Syracuse is in for a world of hurt this coming off season.

Latest posts