Sick of this crazy talk

shaver363

Let me start by saying that I too was frustrated by our losses this year. However, some of the people calling for KF's firing are absolutely delusional. Yes we lost to Minnesota and Iowa State this year. It sucked. However, we had the youngest team in the conference and had we won one more game this year everyone would be saying that this was one of Kirk Ferentz best coaching jobs. Over the past four years we have won 9 games, 10 games, 8 games and this year we have won 7 with a chance at 8.

Seriously, what did you expect this team to do this year? Compete for a national title? Did you really think that we were going to be much better? I'm not one of those people that screams this we are lowly Iowa crap and we should just be happy that we are winning at all but really. Who is going to come here and do a better job? Who has done a better job over the past ten years? I can think of a couple of names:

Jim Tressel - he cheated
Pete Carroll - see above
Bob Stoops - Better program - might have done better here - not sure you can compare considering the advantages he has
Urban Meyer - Pretty sure that he had some advantages and had Tim Tebow

Besides these guys the only people I think that are in the same conversation are Bret Bielema and Bo Pelini - I"m not sure that you can do a fair comparison here as they haven't had to manage a program for 13 years.

Again I think it is OK to be frustrated but really what are the expectations out there? Do you think that Iowa should win 8 games every season? Would this be OK? I guess I don't undersand the irrational thoughts going around?

Yes I think Iowa should AVERAGE 8 wins a season. That means there will be some 6,7,8,9 and 10 win seasons. I think we should contend for the title enough to keep us relevant (we have done that, and maybe more) and I expect a bowl bid every year. Kirk Ferentz has met my win'loss expectations, my graduation expectations, and has exceeded my expectations in representing our program and University in a positive fashion. Whenever we hire another coach and I hope it's a while, I hope and pray that he can keep things going in a positive direction. I respect those people who want more but I don't think they will get it. We have contended for the NC and we will again...with Kirk as our coach.

There are definitely lots of stupid people out there. Hopefully Ferentz just ignores all the idiots and realizes most of the fanbase appreciates what he has done and is doing. I hope that some day he will retire from Iowa in the very distant future. I also hope he gets us a national championship some day, and I think he can, but this year was without a doubt a rebuilding year considering all the talent we lost last year. Yes, the team underperformed last year. Yes, we should not have lost to Minnesota the last two seasons. This is football and that stuff happens. Look at Oklahoma State against Iowa State. However, one year of underperformance and two years of losing to a lousy Minnesota team certainly doesn't make me want to get rid of the coach that won us the Orange Bowl just two seasons ago. Ferentz will get us back to where we want to be.

There are definitely lots of stupid people out there. Hopefully Ferentz just ignores all the idiots and realizes most of the fanbase appreciates what he has done and is doing. I hope that some day he will retire from Iowa in the very distant future. I also hope he gets us a national championship some day, and I think he can, but this year was without a doubt a rebuilding year considering all the talent we lost last year. Yes, the team underperformed last year. Yes, we should not have lost to Minnesota the last two seasons. This is football and that stuff happens. Look at Oklahoma State against Iowa State. However, one year of underperformance and two years of losing to a lousy Minnesota team certainly doesn't make me want to get rid of the coach that won us the Orange Bowl just two seasons ago. Ferentz will get us back to where we want to be.

KF is that really you?:)

Let me start by saying that I too was frustrated by our losses this year. However, some of the people calling for KF's firing are absolutely delusional. Yes we lost to Minnesota and Iowa State this year. It sucked. However, we had the youngest team in the conference and had we won one more game this year everyone would be saying that this was one of Kirk Ferentz best coaching jobs. Over the past four years we have won 9 games, 10 games, 8 games and this year we have won 7 with a chance at 8.

Seriously, what did you expect this team to do this year? Compete for a national title? Did you really think that we were going to be much better? I'm not one of those people that screams this we are lowly Iowa crap and we should just be happy that we are winning at all but really. Who is going to come here and do a better job? Who has done a better job over the past ten years? I can think of a couple of names:

Jim Tressel - he cheated
Pete Carroll - see above
Bob Stoops - Better program - might have done better here - not sure you can compare considering the advantages he has
Urban Meyer - Pretty sure that he had some advantages and had Tim Tebow

Besides these guys the only people I think that are in the same conversation are Bret Bielema and Bo Pelini - I"m not sure that you can do a fair comparison here as they haven't had to manage a program for 13 years.

Again I think it is OK to be frustrated but really what are the expectations out there? Do you think that Iowa should win 8 games every season? Would this be OK? I guess I don't undersand the irrational thoughts going around?

Couldn't have said it better. Well done.

As many/most have said along with me. I am all for KF as head coach. But our offense does not score enough points. We have been a top 25 program since 2001 yet our offense comes in rated #70 on the average. That is poor and underperforming yet we have very good runners, good QBS, good receivers, and really good o-lines.

So you have to ask why all these very good offensive players dont put the points on the board. I dont think it is as much execution as offensive play calling an philosophy. A change needs to be made to get more points on the board per game. Does that sound like crazy talk.

WE SHOULD AVG 7 more points per game each year. Finish one driver per game, make changes to finish one more driver per game.

Great original post. Agree 100%.

Get ready to be attacked by the usual band of nut jobs on this board who will label you "a Ferentz apologist" and "a loser who settles for mediocrity".

I also find it interesting that the wide receiver of the year in the Big Ten played on a KOK offense. I thought KOK was a horrible coach?

As many/most have said along with me. I am all for KF as head coach. But our offense does not score enough points. We have been a top 25 program since 2001 yet our offense comes in rated #70 on the average. That is poor and underperforming yet we have very good runners, good QBS, good receivers, and really good o-lines.

So you have to ask why all these very good offensive players dont put the points on the board. I dont think it is as much execution as offensive play calling an philosophy. A change needs to be made to get more points on the board per game. Does that sound like crazy talk.

WE SHOULD AVG 7 more points per game each year. Finish one driver per game, make changes to finish one more driver per game.
Wrong. We play a ball possession offense and milk the clock (always have). That shortens the game and lowers the scoring for both teams.

Frankly, points per game has nothing to do with how effective an offense is. If it did, NW would win the Big Ten every year.

What is Feretnz doing in some peoples minds that makes him a good coach? I like the guy but If you look at it honestly his results are nothing but average.

I know he puts allot of talent on the field and then on to the NFL, but what is he actually accomplishing on the field with all that talent?

Iowa has won 7 or less games five times in the last seven years. We constantly come out flat and play close game with teams that are far inferior.

I see nothing that sets him apart as anything other than average.

Yes Iowa goes to good bowls but that has more to do with the fan base and the conference that we play in.

If you like Ferentz thats fine but realize almost any coach in the country could produce the same win loss record that he has over the last seven years. Most coaches however would not constantly lose to NW, ISU, Minnesota and Indiana.

This isn't the 80s or even the 90s anymore. Iowa is a top dollar producing school and KF isn't the one responsible for that, the fans are.

IMO replacing him is an almost no risk scenario. We may or may not get something better but any one can win 7 games.

What is Feretnz doing in some peoples minds that makes him a good coach? I like the guy but If you look at it honestly his results are nothing but average.

I know he puts allot of talent on the field and then on to the NFL, but what is he actually accomplishing on the field with all that talent?

Iowa has won 7 or less games five times in the last seven years. We constantly come out flat and play close game with teams that are far inferior.

I see nothing that sets him apart as anything other than average.

Yes Iowa goes to good bowls but that has more to do with the fan base and the conference that we play in.

If you like Ferentz thats fine but realize almost any coach in the country could produce the same win loss record that he has over the last seven years. Most coaches however would not constantly lose to NW, ISU, Minnesota and Indiana.

This isn't the 80s or even the 90s anymore. Iowa is a top dollar producing school and KF isn't the one responsible for that, the fans are.

IMO replacing him is an almost no risk scenario. We may or may not get something better but any one can win 7 games.

There actually aren't a great amount of teams winning 6 games a year over the coarse of 7 years.

Latest posts