Seth Davis on Iowa "candidates"

NinjaHawk

I apologize if this has already been posted elsewhere.

"As for Iowa, I was told that the school inquired about Dayton's Brian Gregory but Gregory wasn't interested. Two of Iowa's prime targets now are Utah's Jim Boylen and Wichita State's Gregg Marshall"

Nice to see that Seth Davis doesn't have any better sources than we do, wish I could get paid to read blogs and message boards, then put it in my column!

I will be disappointed if we hire Boylen, not saying he couldn't be sucessfull but wouldn't be excited and the fact that we had to fire and pay a coach 2.4 million and that is the best we could get??

I understand it is important to keep our expectations realistic, but Jim Boylen and Gregg Marshall do not give me ANY cause for excitement. I would much rather we head down the Forbes route (assuming that is an option) and take a chance on someone with zero D1 head coaching experience than choose between Marshall or Boylen.

I will be disappointed if we hire Boylen, not saying he couldn't be sucessfull but wouldn't be excited and the fact that we had to fire and pay a coach 2.4 million and that is the best we could get??

As would I, just from a quick cursory view of his background.

Boylen....yiippeeeee.

So we are now looking at a guy with 3 years of head coaching experience and 'his' team just finished 14-17 in the frickin' MWC. Jebus Chrimes what in the he!! is the search coming to?

The first part of planning is to have a mother f'in plan.

I would rather have Jacobson then Boylen, he is 56-42 overall and 26-22 in the freaking MWC in his 3 years, that won't exactly sell the fanbase.

I understand it is important to keep our expectations realistic, but Jim Boylen and Gregg Marshall do not give me ANY cause for excitement. I would much rather we head down the Forbes route (assuming that is an option) and take a chance on someone with zero D1 head coaching experience than choose between Marshall or Boylen.

Yep because a guy who has been a career assistant except for a brief juco stint is much more exciting than Marshall, a coach who has already been successful at Winthrop and Witchita St. He has improved every season at Witchita St. he won 29 games and an NCAA game his last season at Winthrop, we could do a lot worse than him.

Yep because a guy who has been a career assistant except for a brief juco stint is much more exciting than Marshall, a coach who has already been successful at Winthrop and Witchita St. He has improved every season at Witchita St. he won 29 games and an NCAA game his last season at Winthrop, we could do a lot worse than him.

I wouldn't argue the track record. I merely stated my opinion that Marshall and Boylen wouldn't excite ME. If given the choice between those two and Forbes I would choose the Iowa guy who has something to prove.

It really isn't about paying someone $2.4M not to coach here, as much as finding someone who can get the job done. It really doesn't matter if it's a marquee name or not as long as they're effective. Finding someone who can assemble a staff that can recruit and teach. Someone who can unite the fan base and energize them. Although being a head coach previously lends to credibility, it isn't a guarantee as we've found out already. I think the real key is to find someone who understands the "lay of the land" so to speak. Someone that identifies with the Iowa fans, a little blue collar, type A personality, a winner!

Latest posts