Serious Question for Rob

kameltoez102

Since you have contact with recruits and coaches I was wondering if the following topic has ever been brought up: Do you know of recruits or have you heard of any recruits that have weighed in heavily on the fan forums to see what the fan base thinks about them and does that positively or negatively affect their recruiting process?

I am just curious because it is getting tiresome to see so many negative comments about kids and how they are this star or that star and why we don't go after or land big time recruits. The thing I try to remember is once the kids sign the letter of intent the ranking and judging stops from the "experts" How are we to know that a 2 or 3 start kid cannot improve to the ability of a 4 star by the time fall practice starts or how do we know that a 4 or 5 star kid got to comfortable and dropped down to a 3 star because they decided not to work hard. I guess what I am trying to say is maybe we should be thankful for the kids that want to be a part of the program and help the Hawkeyes win and encourage the staff. In my opinion if I was a recruit I would look and see and it would play a part in how I perceive the fan base.

Since you have contact with recruits and coaches I was wondering if the following topic has ever been brought up: Do you know of recruits or have you heard of any recruits that have weighed in heavily on the fan forums to see what the fan base thinks about them and does that positively or negatively affect their recruiting process?

I am just curious because it is getting tiresome to see so many negative comments about kids and how they are this star or that star and why we don't go after or land big time recruits. The thing I try to remember is once the kids sign the letter of intent the ranking and judging stops from the "experts" How are we to know that a 2 or 3 start kid cannot improve to the ability of a 4 star by the time fall practice starts or how do we know that a 4 or 5 star kid got to comfortable and dropped down to a 3 star because they decided not to work hard. I guess what I am trying to say is maybe we should be thankful for the kids that want to be a part of the program and help the Hawkeyes win and encourage the staff. In my opinion if I was a recruit I would look and see and it would play a part in how I perceive the fan base.

I think family and friends are more likely to see things on message boards and social media. It does get back to some of them, I would expect. How many and how often? Hard to say.

Some of the guys on twitter get just non-stop bombardment with all kinds of the worst in internet fan behaviour but they just take it in stride or ignore it mostly. I think it just gets old and predictable for them after a while.

If you have kids this age, you will realize that snapshat, instagram, and twitter are the forms of communication at this point. Message boards are for the older folks (like us). As Rob said, some of the things from message boards may get back to them, but most are not reading them.

I think family and friends are more likely to see things on message boards and social media. It does get back to some of them, I would expect. How many and how often? Hard to say.

Hey Rob, does your gut still say Martin to Iowa or has that changed?

I do not feel good about our chances any longer.
Based on?? I don't either but I only base it on that he's still entertaining visits from all these other coaches and whatnot. Your gut feelings have more to them those of us totally on the outside looking in do. If I were to hear that KF or even Brian was going to have one more last crack at him for a visit of some kind my hopes would be up. As it sits now I just don't know what to think at all really...

Martin's probably going to Michigan. Kinda like the girl you liked in high school choosing to be with some other dude. Time to move on.

I just read Martin is going to visit Michigan this weekend... Ole Harbaugh got him talked into that when he was in town.. So yeah nothin good about that... Don't they have like 3 or 4 other stud receivers already committed on top of who they must already have? I like Stanley better then their qb too. This sucks.

Exactly. Clearly he's after the glitz and the glamour. On the surface, seems like an easy decision based on the hype of their coach, but there is only one ball to go around and Black and Peoples-jones will get theirs first. Dumb.

I just read Martin is going to visit Michigan this weekend... Ole Harbaugh got him talked into that when he was in town.. So yeah nothin good about that... Don't they have like 3 or 4 other stud receivers already committed on top of who they must already have? I like Stanley better then their qb too. This sucks.

Exactly. Clearly he's after the glitz and the glamour. On the surface, seems like an easy decision based on the hype of their coach, but there is only one ball to go around and Black and Peoples-jones will get theirs first. Dumb.

He'll be productive wherever he goes