Serious question about the 2nd half

MeatMan

so, i was unable to catch the second half due to all my kids deciding to make 2-3pm be family throw up hour. i have some non trolling questions from looking at the box score.

how do you only score 19 points in the second half?

did they (or we) change defenses or something?

obviously didn't get to the FT line in the second half, did we stop driving?

Gesell didn't get any more stats in the second half, and it doesn't look like he was in foul trouble...did something happen?

basically, what the hell happened?

thanks in advance for your serious, non trolling responses.

so, i was unable to catch the second half due to all my kids deciding to make 2-3pm be family throw up hour. i have some non trolling questions from looking at the box score.

Gesell didn't get any more stats in the second half, and it doesn't look like he was in foul trouble...did something happen?

You name it. It pretty much seemed to go wrong. Look at the shooting %s first half vs end of game. Aggressiveness disappeared. One on one ball vs team basketball at times. Lack of execution. More confusing subs / rotations as Fran is clearly sticking with a couple of kids that simply need to sit and watch at this point. Need I go on?

Fran stuck with his starters through the first 4 minutes of the second half. And the lead shrunk to 8. So he had to do something. I know the rotations **** people off, but this wasn't one of those games. The team just came out un-inspired, and when Nebby drilled that three, it's like they knew what was coming.

You name it. It pretty much seemed to go wrong. Look at the shooting %s first half vs end of game. Aggressiveness disappeared. One on one ball vs team basketball at times. Lack of execution. More confusing subs / rotations as Fran is clearly sticking with a couple of kids that simply need to sit and watch at this point. Need I go on?

Who? PM me if you think you may be banned, I want to see if you and I are on the same page...I know one of them that you are thinking but you wanted him to play all the time last year.

Fran stuck with his starters through the first 4 minutes of the second half. And the lead shrunk to 8. So he had to do something. I know the rotations **** people off, but this wasn't one of those games. The team just came out un-inspired, and when Nebby drilled that three, it's like they knew what was coming.

This has been a common theme with Iowa and I don't mind Fran going to the bench, he still doesn't have enough weapons on it though, that may change next year...may change.

Iowa needs to execute better at the start of halves period, it is frustrating to see that continue to happen.

Who? PM me if you think you may be banned, I want to see if you and I are on the same page...I know one of them that you are thinking but you wanted him to play all the time last year.

Things change from year to year sportstalent. You should know that. I applaud Fran for showing confidence in kids and helping build their confidence by sticking with them and using his "hyperbole" comments about them. However. That is getting a bit old at this point. I'll leave it at that.

Things change from year to year sportstalent. You should know that. I applaud Fran for showing confidence in kids and helping build their confidence by sticking with them and using his "hyperbole" comments about them. However. That is getting a bit old at this point. I'll leave it at that.

Do they really? I have not changed my opinion on one player not named Eric May since their freshman year at Iowa.

The one thing I will say is that I do find it funny how people change year to year, what you see as a freshman is what you get for the most part, if you liked what you saw as a freshman, you will end up liking what you see when a player career ends. There are always highs and lows with specific players, but no need to jump on and off a ship depending how that player does until their career is coming to a close. If Eric May, Matt Gatens and Melsahn Basabe (I know he is Jr. but he was a lightning rod last year) have taught you nothing, then I feel for you.

Do they really? I have not changed my opinion on one player not named Eric May since their freshman year at Iowa.

The one thing I will say is that I do find it funny how people change year to year, what you see as a freshman is what you get for the most part, if you liked what you saw as a freshman, you will end up liking what you see when a player career ends. There are always highs and lows with specific players, but no need to jump on and off a ship depending how that player does until their career is coming to a close. If Eric May, Matt Gatens and Melsahn Basabe (I know he is Jr. but he was a lightning rod last year) have taught you nothing, then I feel for you.

I guess I have to respectfully disagree with you. That first year in a D1 environment can be a difficult one for a kid as the jump from high school to D1 is bigtime. Nothing wrong with letting a kid "grow" during that first year and learn from his mistakes. However, if improvement isnt seen the 2nd year? Different story in most cases.

I guess I have to respectfully disagree with you. That first year in a D1 environment can be a difficult one for a kid as the jump from high school to D1 is bigtime. Nothing wrong with letting a kid "grow" during that first year and learn from his mistakes. However, if improvement isnt seen the 2nd year? Different story in most cases.

Here is my next question for you: What do you expect to see out of freshman, no matter where they rank in recruiting? I look at their whole game and wonder what they will do in year 2 when teams figure them out...how will they better themselves, or better yet, how will they come back when and if they struggle in year 2. I think too many times, kids focus too much on what they did really well as a freshman and continue to focus on that rather than try to improve in the biggest weaknesses. This seems to be the case more often than not that leads to the "sophomore slump" and then you see a different player in year 3.

How did you feel about Mel last season as compared to your feelings on the freshman?

Year 2 is hardly a make or break season, if anything it shows more weakness than anything. It is more of a "reality-check" year to me.

MeatMan: BBM is correct here from what I can gather from listening, whatever could go wrong did.

Last edited:
Here is my next question for you: What do you expect to see out of freshman, no matter where they rank in recruiting? I look at their whole game and wonder what they will do in year 2 when teams figure them out...how will they better themselves, or better yet, how will they come back when and if they struggle in year 2. I think too many times, kids focus too much on what they did really well as a freshman and continue to focus on that rather than try to improve in the biggest weaknesses. This seems to be the case more often than not that leads to the "sophomore slump" and then you see a different player in year 3.

How did you feel about Mel last season as compared to your feelings on the freshman?

Year 2 is hardly a make or break season, if anything it shows more weakness than anything. It is more of a "reality-check" year to me.

MeatMan: BBM is correct here from what I can gather from listening, whatever could go wrong did.

The problem is that one of those freshman's presence at this point seems to be counter productive. This was a winnable game.

But as you know I agree Iowa isn't ready.

I listened on the radio today. Dolph and Bobby were saying that Gesell had tweaked his ankle although he did come back in right at the end.

Answers to your questions:
The Hawks shot very poorly. Plus, they did not rebound very well. It seemed like a lot of empty possessions. Numerous turnvers to start the 2nd half.

Fran stuck to the zone most of the 2nd half. With 6 minutes do go, he switched to man to man. Neither were effective. I believe Nebby shot 62% from the field in the 2nd half.

The Hawks continued to drive to the line. It was a combination of missing some bunnies, pulling up short of the lane, and not too many fouls called on contact (just an observation)

I believe Gesell landed on somebody's foot on a rebound attempt and was out of the lineup for quite some time. I believe he had the 3 point shot attempt at the end and that may have been his only shot attempt of the 2nd half. (My 2 cents) If he wasn't hurt, he sat too long.

To answer this question, would take too much space and time. Got too comfortable with the lead. Didn't make shots. Turned the ball over way too much many were unforced turnovers. No production from the bigs. I did think Oleseani played well in the 1st half, and if I remeber correctly, did not see the floor until the end of the second half.

I hope this helps.

The problem is that one of those freshman's presence at this point seems to be counter productive. This was a winnable game.

But as you know I agree Iowa isn't ready.

Iowa isn't quite ready and missing a few pieces is the problem, it is a process, but I think Iowa's freshman are the right players. The question is who will take a step back next season and who takes steps forward? The next question comes to mind, is who will be the lightning for next season. If it is anyone outside the Sr. class then there is something wrong, Iowa should have quality Sr leadership next season.

The Seniors should also continue to take steps forward to take the team on their backs, if that doesn't happen then that is a failure on their shoulders and nobody else.

I got a question...which was more embarrassing today? The basketball team, or the wrestling team? Both gutless performances.

I got a question...which was more embarrassing today? The basketball team, or the wrestling team? Both gutless performances.

gutless is the wrong word for the wrestling team. i missed the match, but looks like all the higher ranked wrestlers won. disappointing, for sure, but not embarrassing like the bball team.

Tonight vs Mizzou McD, St. John got upset, we continue to lack a pulse at 49, Evans didn't wrestle well, Lofthouse crapped another match away, Burak lost because he can't finish a shot again...worst part is Telford is taking on #1 Bradley so it looks like we lost our third dual of the year. These guys are going backward...

I think Mel is a bad analogy in this case. Fran asked Mel to put on weight. It did not work out for his style of play being heavier. It was a decision that backfired, but Mel's sophomore slump can hardly be blamed entirely on Mel.

Meatman I will add a few observations: 1. when the hawks went to the basket and got fouled there were no whistles and the hawks couldnt hit.

A lot of hawk turnovers trying to get the ball to the hoop. Fran wanted to get nebby in foul trouble but the refs didnt blow, they sucked.

Gesell did tweak an ankle and Clemmons didnt seem to run much offense although it didnt help that we had hands of bricks in the 2nd half.

Woody didnt play much and we could have used his rebounding.

Basabe kept getting bumped around and he didnt get into the flow.

We only scored mainly off open jump shots

Poor rebounding and shooting/\.

First 4:30 of the 2nd half was start of the meltdown. Everything after that was an acceleration of that first 4:30.

Lead was down to 8 by then, and the momentum had swung. Crowd was back into it.

Latest posts