Sell out CHA on Feb 28th

Southernhawk

I posted something similar on another thread but thought it should have it's own. So here goes:

Wouldn't it be great for Hawkeye nation to truly sell-out CHA once this year? Pick a date and everybody go support the Hawks. February 28 would be the logical choice since it's a weekend game (Sunday), is the last home game, is against Indiana, and starts at 5:05.

A loud house, even if the game results in a "L" will make it a fun event to attend, will encourage the young Hawks, and will undoubtedly inspire them to play beyond their abilities.

Furthermore, this need not be interpreted as support for Lickliter, even though some will argue the point is intrinsically linked. Maybe so. Instead, view as support for these Hawkeye players that hate losing even more than we do and who came to Iowa expecting to play in front of Iowa fans, not rivals that boo them on their own court.

In full disclosure, I live in Georgia and am not sure that I would be able to drive that far. However, there are plenty of Hawk fans up there to sell it out. Imagine how that would make these young Hawks feel! It's time to take Carver back. Why not start now? Put the "Hawkeye" back in Carver Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, February 28th and make it the loudest it has been in years.

I think it would be great to sellout the arena. I will be there regardless so nothing I can really add.

However, there is no chance you will ever hear Carver the "loudest it has been in years" under Lick. Not necessarily a slam against him. It's just logic. It is hard for us fans to get loud and energetic with this system. Even when some of us try to get Carver rocking, there is simply not enough action on the floor and eventually you find out your yelling just to yell. And the players are standing in place or throwing the ball lazily around the perimeter.

Eventually, you just sink back into your chair and pray for a three pointer to go in so you can start cheering again.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread...as I think it would be great for these kids to get to play in front of a sellout at least once. Just wanted to illustrate the problems some of us are experiencing in trying to make Carver a hostile atmosphere.

I think it would be great to sellout the arena. I will be there regardless so nothing I can really add.

However, there is no chance you will ever hear Carver the "loudest it has been in years" under Lick. Not necessarily a slam against him. It's just logic. It is hard for us fans to get loud and energetic with this system. Even when some of us try to get Carver rocking, there is simply not enough action on the floor and eventually you find out your yelling just to yell. And the players are standing in place or throwing the ball lazily around the perimeter.

Eventually, you just sink back into your chair and pray for a three pointer to go in so you can start cheering again.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread...as I think it would be great for these kids to get to play in front of a sellout at least once. Just wanted to illustrate the problems some of us are experiencing in trying to make Carver a hostile atmosphere.

Then raise hell while we're playing defense.

I agree. I was at the game last night (been to every home game except 4) there was a time in the game last night where Iowa had the lead, the crowd was making a ton of noise, Illinois turned the ball over behind their 3 point line, Cully picked up the ball and looked to have a good opportunity to push the ball up the cout. Cully got a few steps past 1/2 court and pulled it back. The place was waiting to errupt, or waiting for the team to attack the basket and draw a foul. It was looking to be a 3 on 3 break but will Illinois retreating Iowa could have taken it to the hoop hard I am sure and at least drawn a foul. Once Iowa stoped, set up the offense and passed the ball around the perimeter a ton the fans just sat down. It seems like the fans really want to make some noise but the flow of the game makes it hard to stay fully in the game as a fan.

You see more exciting plays and dunks in High School games then you do By Iowa. Sad, but true. The crowd is good in spurts, but as alluded to is lulled back to sleep by long scoring droughts and slow moving basketball. Top that off with donors sleeping in the front rows and its pretty hard to get into the games as much as you think we all should.

You see more exciting plays and dunks in High School games then you do By Iowa. Sad, but true. The crowd is good in spurts, but as alluded to is lulled back to sleep by long scoring droughts and slow moving basketball. Top that off with donors sleeping in the front rows and its pretty hard to get into the games as much as you think we all should.

Then chant "Fast Break, Fast Break." ;) Another option: throw hot dogs at the donors.

I like your passion Southern.

I think this season has taken its toll on me. I feel empty right now. I have never ever been this negative about Iowa basketball in my life. Not even during Alford's worst years. And I hate it.

Hopefully the passion will return next season. But I have my doubts.

I have a feeling me and thousands of my friends will be there. We'll be the ones dressed as empty seats.

Are ticket prices being lowered? I'll go if I get the same deal as students.

It would be nice if they could sell out that game.

Tonites IU vs PU game at IU was like an old-timey Keady vs Knight type atmosphere...full house, high-scroring(47-43 at half) tight game with crowd going nuts...Purdue pulled it out 79-75...never a dull moment in this contest. I miss those good old days of Iowa bb...as recently as 07 we were selling out big ten games...

Put a winning product on the court and then I would consider investing the time and money to start driving to IC again for basketball ... Even the few remaining die-hards who are willing to go down with the ship know that they are in the minority and there is no way Carver will sell out again while the current staff is in place ... Ain't gonna happen ... Lick is finished at Iowa ... This year or next ... No way around it ... This simply can't continue ...

I live in WDM and I drive over for almost every game. I guess I would be considered a "sleepy donor" since I sit in the 3rd row. I am 30 years old and feel that I am as loud as anyone in the stands. I am doing my part to sell out the arena. I wish others would follow.

Put a winning product on the court and then I would consider investing the time and money to start driving to IC again for basketball ... Even the few remaining die-hards who are willing to go down with the ship know that they are in the minority and there is no way Carver will sell out again while the current staff is in place ... Ain't gonna happen ... Lick is finished at Iowa ... This year or next ... No way around it ... This simply can't continue ...

Why couldn't a Hawk fan invest the time/money for JUST ONE game? Why punish the Hawk players, many of whom grew up Hawk fans, just to show you want Lick gone? That point has been clear for the last few years so having a sellout on the 28th will not confuse Barta as to the fans' wishes. Again just go support the Hawk players!

Why couldn't a Hawk fan invest the time/money for JUST ONE game? Why punish the Hawk players, many of whom grew up Hawk fans, just to show you want Lick gone? That point has been clear for the last few years so having a sellout on the 28th will not confuse Barta as to the fans' wishes. Again just go support the Hawk players!

You may be out of touch with how badly fan interest has eroded. I've been a season ticket holder for several years. For me, buying season tickets is akin to another donation, because I'm rarely able to make it to more than a handful of games in any season, no matter how the team is doing. When Davis was coaching and even Alford, if I couldn't go I'd let people in the office know and usually had no trouble selling the tickets to someone. Sometimes there'd be a scramble to see who could buy them first.

In the last three-plus years, the interest has been so low that I've stopped trying to sell them and just try to give them away instead. There have been several games last year and this year for which I had no takers, including several conference games. These people don't have any agenda to "punish" anyone. The event just isn't interesting to them anymore.

I wish it were true that people are trying to punish someone by staying away, because that would mean they still have a passion for Iowa basketball. That's not the case. Most of those seats are empty due to simple disinterest. That disinterest is a product of disaffection from the Alford years and the hiring of a coach whose style is boring to many fans and loses most of the time to boot.

I'd love to see a sellout but the interest just isnt there. The only way there will be a full arena anytime in the forseeable future is (a) if a big chunk of the tickets are given away or sold very, very cheaply, or (b) the Hawks start winning consistently.

Last edited:

Latest posts