Selection committee will pick the teams for all six bowls.

PJHawk

Anyone going to miss unranked Big East teams playing in BCS games? The fact that bowl automatic qualification is gone sure as hell is one thing they got right in this new era of CFB.

According to SI.com’s Stewart Mandel, the selection committee will establish other bowl matchups for the four rotating games (likely Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton and one still TBD) that aren’t serving as semifinal matchups for a given season. For those of you unwilling to dust off your calculators, this means they’ll be selecting 12 teams total but not necessarily the top 12 teams.

Last edited:
Why would they select teams for these games if these games aren't going to be a part of the playoff?

I swear to God, if a non-Big 10/Pac-10 matchup happens in the Rose Bowl when they aren't hosting the playoff I'm going to flip out.

Clark your fears on the Rose Bowl are unwarranted:

Although AQ (automatic qualifier) bids are no more, that’s not exactly the case. The Rose Bowl will still feature a Big Ten/Pac-12 matchup when it’s not serving as a semifinal because of contractual obligations within that bowl. So even though they “killed” AQ, it will now live on in a slightly different form that really won’t be all that different in certain circumstances. Still, the committee's influence here beyond these grandfathered contracts is certainly welcomed.

Clark your fears on the Rose Bowl are unwarranted:

Although AQ (automatic qualifier) bids are no more, that’s not exactly the case. The Rose Bowl will still feature a Big Ten/Pac-12 matchup when it’s not serving as a semifinal because of contractual obligations within that bowl. So even though they “killedâ€￾ AQ, it will now live on in a slightly different form that really won’t be all that different in certain circumstances. Still, the committee's influence here beyond these grandfathered contracts is certainly welcomed.

ok. All is right in the world again.

This is the one change they made that I am excited about. No more watching UConn get blown out of a BCS Bowl. But this makes me wonder if conference title games disappear as they will not mean anything anymore and if anything may hurt the conference from getting a team into one of the major bowls.

Sounds like the Selection Committee will have a mid-season weekly ranking like the BCS had:

Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick provided some further details on what the in-season assessments might include, and he told the South Bend Tribune that the selection committee would be releasing top 20 weekly standings starting in the middle of the season. "We didn't want the top four teams to just come out of the blue at the end of the season," Swarbrick said.

Why would they select teams for these games if these games aren't going to be a part of the playoff?

It makes it easier to get to an 8 team and 10 team play-off. If your the selection committee wouldn't you want to match up your #5 & #6? By doing that you only have 1 team complaining about not getting a chance.

or they could also show their match ups if it was a play-off.

5/12
6/11
7/10
8/9

It helps them protect themselves.

Sounds like the Selection Committee will have a mid-season weekly ranking like the BCS had:

Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick provided some further details on what the in-season assessments might include, and he told the South Bend Tribune that the selection committee would be releasing top 20 weekly standings starting in the middle of the season. "We didn't want the top four teams to just come out of the blue at the end of the season," Swarbrick said.

I think it should be bi-weekly from week 6 to week 10, then weekly after that. Also, the standings shouldn't come out Monday morning, but say Wednesday or Thursday and require a little write up each week on why the put a team where they put them.

So say 2 teams make the 4 team playoff and the Rose Bowl is not one the playoff sites. Does that mean another Big 10 team who finishes 3rd in the league gets to go to the Rose Bowl?

So the Rose Bowl will no longer get to pick their participants when they are not a semi-final? DO NOT LIKE!

I see it now....OSU wins the Big Ten and makes a semi-final,so then the Big Ten slot in the Rose Bowl is up for grabs....and Michigan is selected over Iowa despite finishing behind them in the Legends even tho the Rose Bowl would perfer an eager Iowa fan base in Pasadena after a two decade absence.

This cannot be correct,can it? The Bowls no longer get to even have a voice in who they invite? That hurts Iowa,because we have always been popular with Bowl Committees. I agree with no AQ slots,but the Bowls should have the discretion to make their pick. They will not pick loser Big East teams, they will want big names,and big fanbases,like Iowa. If this is true, it blows.

So the Rose Bowl will no longer get to pick their participants when they are not a semi-final? DO NOT LIKE!

I see it now....OSU wins the Big Ten and makes a semi-final,so then the Big Ten slot in the Rose Bowl is up for grabs....and Michigan is selected over Iowa despite finishing behind them in the Legends even tho the Rose Bowl would perfer an eager Iowa fan base in Pasadena after a two decade absence.

This cannot be correct,can it? The Bowls no longer get to even have a voice in who they invite? That hurts Iowa,because we have always been popular with Bowl Committees. I agree with no AQ slots,but the Bowls should have the discretion to make their pick. They will not pick loser Big East teams, they will want big names,and big fanbases,like Iowa. If this is true, it blows.

They haven't been able to do this since 1998. Does 2002 ring any bells? At least now they have done away with the rotating preference nonsense by which Iowa and USC end up playing each other 2,500 miles away from where they should be playing.

They haven't been able to do this since 1998. Does 2002 ring any bells?

The Rose Bowl has still maintained the ability to choose. That is how non-Big Ten champion Illinois (13 ranked BCS at-large team) made it to the 2008 RB.

I would assume in most years given that scenario the loser of the BT title game would get the Rose Bowl bid.

Which is why son wrote the piece on more likelihood of Iowa going to Rose a little more frequently.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't read the piece. I agree that Iowa's likelihood of going to the Rose goes up a little, but not much. Right now, I don't see the Big 10 getting 2 in the playoffs very frequently. Michigan and tOSU may be coming back, but if they are at the top of the league, and both in the conversation for the playoff, they could end up playing each other in back to back games. Even if they split, would a selection commitee want to take a chance that those two teams could play each other 3 out of their last 4 games?

Latest posts