SEC does not extend Texas A&M invite

The Big 12 will take them back happily, but talk about awkward, as well as horrible leadership at TAMU. Were I their fans, I would be furious at this sort of embarrassment. You dont do this unless you know the answer to the question...

However, it could be a process, by where TAMU has to leave B12 first, before getting SEC invite, to avoid legal issues?

The Big 12 will take them back happily, but talk about awkward, as well as horrible leadership at TAMU. Were I their fans, I would be furious at this sort of embarrassment. You dont do this unless you know the answer to the question...

However, it could be a process, by where TAMU has to leave B12 first, before getting SEC invite, to avoid legal issues?

Was thinking along those lines myself, Jon. Kind of wondered if Big 12, U of Texas or even Texas legislature may have "threatened" in some way.

Yep, smoke and mirrors. They voted to expand the league. First, A&M has to leave.

Guys, ESPN has a great team of headline writers, and this one is another good example. Did the SEC extend an offer to A&M? No. Why? Not because they don't want them, because they don't want to get sued to high heaven. The SEC can't extend an offer of membership until the A&M applies for it. That application process requires the regents, who coincidentally meet tomorrow. Once they apply to the SEC, this shows that the action was initiated by A&M, and not the SEC, then the SEC is off the hook and can offer. Today's SEC meeting was an informal meeting to make sure there was enough votes available to push A&M's app through when it comes. Sure, maybe they didn't get enough votes and the SEC did tell them no for sure, and if that is the case, there shouldn't be a regent meeting tomorrow. Basically what it boils down to is if A&M regents still meet tomorrow, it's game on. If not, the SEC truly told them no.

Guys, ESPN has a great team of headline writers, and this one is another good example. Did the SEC extend an offer to A&M? No. Why? Not because they don't want them, because they don't want to get sued to high heaven. The SEC can't extend an offer of membership until the A&M applies for it. That application process requires the regents, who coincidentally meet tomorrow. Once they apply to the SEC, this shows that the action was initiated by A&M, and not the SEC, then the SEC is off the hook and can offer. Today's SEC meeting was an informal meeting to make sure there was enough votes available to push A&M's app through when it comes. Sure, maybe they didn't get enough votes and the SEC did tell them no for sure, and if that is the case, there shouldn't be a regent meeting tomorrow. Basically what it boils down to is if A&M regents still meet tomorrow, it's game on. If not, the SEC truly told them no.

Not so sure about that. This meeting was going to happen anyway. They just pushed up the date. Don't see it being changed back now. If they would it would give the impression they were trying to pull a fast one on the TX legislature (which some thought was happening anyway).

Not so sure about that. This meeting was going to happen anyway. They just pushed up the date. Don't see it being changed back now. If they would it would give the impression they were trying to pull a fast one on the TX legislature (which some thought was happening anyway).

The Texas leagislature is meeting on Tuesday, which is why A&M's regents are meeting tomorrow.

A&M sends in the application, they're in. Just like Nebraska last year.

One thing you have to keep in mind when reading that article is the network that reported it. ESPN has a major stake in the LHN, so they're understandably going to make any coverage of UT look favorable to UT.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. I knew this wasn't going to happen.

Don't be so sure about that. The following is from an A&M fan site on the "probable" course of action.....

Tomorrow the BOR will vote that the BIg 12 conference has failed to meet its obligation and fudiciary duties:

1. Money that was supposed to be given to A&M has not materialized
2. The commissioner has not acted fairly amongst the Big 12 members
3. Contracts negotiated last May have not materialized and not all parties were being turthful to their conference commitments.

BOR will vote to sign an official grievance with the BIg 12 commissioner and authorize Loftin permission to apply with various BCS conferences for admission. IT may also state if no admission is found, A&M will go independent.

Loftin will publicly announce that we will be applying with all the other BCS conferences so as not to show collusion between A&M and the SEC.

SEC will see we are intending to apply with several BCS leagues and immediately accept our formal application for further consideration, but all other applications must be withdrawn.

We withdraw the other applications or intentions to apply, and the SEC votes 12-0 for A&M.

Lots of buzz out there saying it still will happen but I guess we will all have to wait and see. No matter what happens or what statements are made by the Big 12, that conference is a ticking time bomb. If I were any of those schools I would be sure I had a contingency plan in place or jump ship the first chance I got.

"...is A&M really worth all this drama and trouble?"

I would imagine the SEC would rather have Texas but that ain't happening. A&M is next best school to get into the state of Texas, which is a huge tv market and helps the SEC greatly. Recruiting will be helped because many of the SEC schools will move into Texas to recruit. Kids that would typically go to other states/conferences could go to SEC schools and still be able to play at home a few times.

It is interesting to see how this all played out (and perhaps it isn't done). I would have thought A&M would have all their ducks lined before making announcements. If they don't get accepted, this will make them look ridiculous.

Of course a few schools in the Big12 have options available, but maybe not as many as some thought. There are about four schools who have NO BCS options if the Big 12 blows up.

rejection.jpg

Latest posts