SEC/Big 12 Announce Bowl Partnership

Hawkfromnorwalk

Big 12, SEC champions to meet in bowl game, sources say - ESPN

Much like the B1G and PAC 12 have the Rose Bowl the SEC and Big 12 are coming together and their conference champions will play each other barring one or both of them being in the title game. Furthermore, with Delaney's insistence that the Rose Bowl continue to be a factor in any type of system crowning a champion could we be setting up a system where the ACC, Big East and the Non-AQs get muscled out of the title picture all together? Possibly we are looking at the shift towards four super conferences.

Big 12, SEC champions to meet in bowl game, sources say - ESPN

Much like the B1G and PAC 12 have the Rose Bowl the SEC and Big 12 are coming together and their conference champions will play each other barring one or both of them being in the title game. Furthermore, with Delaney's insistence that the Rose Bowl continue to be a factor in any type of system crowning a champion could we be setting up a system where the ACC, Big East and the Non-AQs get muscled out of the title picture all together? Possibly we are looking at the shift towards four super conferences.

This new game will only happen with teams who aren't part of the new playoff. It's not a de facto playoff game. This isn't the beginning of superconferences.

This new game will only happen with teams who aren't part of the new playoff. It's not a de facto playoff game. This isn't the beginning of superconferences.

It may be, it may not be. However this move is less about the bowl itself and more about power brokering. The Big East has always lagged behind the other five in terms of power but with this move the Big 12 has squarely positioned itself right up there. All of the sudden the ACC is starting to look more and more insignificant. If you don't think that may cause some teams to start moving...well...

Good move for the B12 and SEC as I think they will have entertaining matchups. Does that mean the B12 is going to drop the Fiesta bowl for the Sugar Bowl?

It may be, it may not be. However this move is less about the bowl itself and more about power brokering. The Big East has always lagged behind the other five in terms of power but with this move the Big 12 has squarely positioned itself right up there. All of the sudden the ACC is starting to look more and more insignificant. If you don't think that may cause some teams to start moving...well...

I agree with you. This is a not-so-subtle signal to the rest of college football conferences that the Big Ten/Pac12/SEC/Big 12 are the elite leagues, and keeps the Rose and Sugar as the primo bowls.

It is a very short walk to simplifying the whole process by designating a straightforward 8 team playoff...Each of these leages conference title games,then the Sugar and Rose Bowl,then the Superduper Bowl at Jerrys World or some other mega venue.

These 4 leagues could flat out just make an agreement to do this,and take bids on it and see if anyone is interested in that type of playoff...my guess...it would quickly become the defacto accepted playoff. The ACC,Big East,ND ect...well, they would have to figure something else out..maybe an NIT of football tourny. I am not a huge fan of mega-conferences but again,if these 4 leagues made the power move,it would force the hand of those few remaining attractive football programs like ND to join a league,and not the ACC or Big East.

Yahoos like Yahoo's Dan Wetzel rip on Delany and the Big Ten but he always underestimates Mr. Delany,and there is always way more than meets the eye on the machinations of the various strategies...I have a distinct feeling that Mike Slive of the SEC is not sitting back laughing at the Big Ten...no, he is talking to Delany on a daily basis,as the two power brokers in college football.

The big winner here is the Big 12...nearly extinct a year ago,they might just be the survivor who makes the cut as #4 in a 4 conference dominant country....lucky for ISU...

I agree...Notre Dame continues to have fewer dance partners and options for marquee bowl games.

Play this sucker at Jerry World in front of over 100k

Considering there is a bowl freeze, I would imagine this will be an agreement with the Sugar Bowl in years that they are not involved in the playoff rotation and probably the Cotton Bowl if the Sugar is involved. Of course if the SEC wants a new bowl, I'm sure the NCAA will lift the freeze for them.

It's not, though. Those games are contingencies in case those conferences' teams miss the playoff.

No. If both top teams from each conference end up in the 4 team playoff structure the bowls would then just take the #2's or #3's or however it lands. I would assume the Rose Bowl would do the same thing for the P12 and B10.

Basically the agreement to go along with the P12/B10 agreement is just a big middle finger to East Coast CFB. Maybe if those conferences hadn't been so awful on the field it wouldn't be this way, but tough ****.

Love seeing ND left out. Things not looking great right now for Fiesta and Orange Bowl committee members.

Absolutely love not being aligned with the SEC. Let's see how the Big 12 enjoys being the sacrificial lambs for the SEC's Sugar Bowl march to the new title game year after year.

Steve Deace predicts FSU and Miami will be in the Big 12 by 2014. I disagree, but this deal could cause more movement.
Chip Brown is hearing the BCS as we know it will be dead in 2014.

Absolutely love not being aligned with the SEC. Let's see how the Big 12 enjoys being the sacrificial lambs for the SEC's Sugar Bowl march to the new title game year after year.

The teams in this bowl game have nothing to do with the playoff.

Very true. Still going to be nice seeing someone else get maligned after having played and beaten by the SEC in their defector home bowl games. Good luck with that.