Season ticket sales next season?

FreddyBrown

I'm wondering what will happen with season ticket sales next season. It will help if the team can come out around .500 in its remaining games, or at least show clear signs of improvement. It will also help if there are no significant transfers and all of the signed recruits stay with the program. It might help if we added another good recruit somehow.

Even if all of those things happen, I suspect season ticket sales are likely to decline a little more. I don't think most of the people who buy them are basing their buying decisions on what the incoming recruiting class looks like, but they probably do pay attention to any bad news at the end of a season such as we've had the last two years.

I think the kind of improvement the team needs to make next season will be more difficult if attendance is as bad or worse than this year's. It will be important to win some games and look good in the non-con schedule and if they do, sales will pick up during the season.

But there's also a chance CHA will look even more empty next season than this season.

Frankly, I'm not sure I'll renew my own season tickets for next season. There is no plausible scenario in which I wouldn't be able to scalp or just walk up and buy great tickets for every game I could possibly get to next season. It's hard to justify spending $600-$700 or more to attend the number of games I'm actually able to get to during a typical season, particularly when you can't sell any of the rest of the tickets. On the other hand, somehow I always seem to convince myself before every Hawkeye basketball season that "this will be the year," and it's a long time between now and when ticket apps arrive. :)

What are your thoughts on what to expect the CHA crowd to look like in 2010-11?

Last edited:
I don't understand what you are saying. You used smiley faces, quotation markes, periods, question marks commas and dashes. I noticed you stayed away from exclamation marks. Are you biased against exclamation points? I love em.....but that is just me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as season tickets are concerned, I would guess they will be down heading into next year. Hopefully they can win some more games and get the fans back. I can't blame you if you did not renew.

I expect that season ticket sales will be down next year as well, but I also expect that by the end of next season CHA will be seeing nightly attendance numbers between 9,000-12,000, because I fully expect us to be pushing 20 wins next year.

I wish I could fall asleep and have that dream tonight...

I also expect that by the end of next season CHA will be seeing nightly attendance numbers between 9,000-12,000, because I fully expect us to be pushing 20 wins next year.

I wish I could fall asleep and have that dream tonight...

It really isn't that far away. With the guys we have coming back, combined with the incoming recruiting class, we could very easily reach the NIT next year. The 3 true freshman we have out there right now are going to benefit greatly from the experience they've gained this year, and they have quite a bit of talent to boot. Fuller, Gatens, and Cole will provide the leadership next year, and Tucker.....well, let's just hope Tucker is there, and we'll leave the leadership up to the grownups on the team. The close losses this year are from a combination of youth and lack of depth. In a year, our guys will be better equipped mentally to close out games, and we'll have better depth so that we have fresher legs late. Just keep the faith, or find it if you've already lost it.

I've already decided not to renew mine. It has nothing to do with wins and losses. As I have always supported the team regardless of record. This just isn't entertaining basketball. And when you factor in the drive to Carver, parking expense and convenience, concessions prices, and the later starts, it just isn't worth dealing with all of that to watch this style of ball.

I will probably go to some a game here and there. But the majority I will just watch on tv.

What planet are you from tm3388? Have you seen the other big 10 rosters of the 9 teams ahead of us in the standings? Our #7 recruiting class (in the B10), that has no difference maker or top flight PG in it. What makes you believe we become an NIT team next year. Incoming kids (by the way Lick says it takes 3 years to learn his SYSTEM) will not push this team up to 20 wins no way. Tucker needs to be shown the door and give him a reality check for what the rest of his life in the real world will be like. You screw up and let your co-workers down you get fired.

You know what? I'm going to buy a couple - because I think going forward they're going to be more in demand and it's a great opportunity to get good seats. Plus, I will make it a higher priority to attend more games!

I'm not sure who Iowa will replace in the standings next year in the Big 10. I fully expect to be one of the bottom four teams in the big 10 again although I do like the optimism of some.They will have just as much trouble on the road next year as they did this year and they will have just as much trouble with the top teams as they did this year. They may win a few more games in the Big 10 but Indiana will be much better with their best player back. All the other teams are going to improve also and they also have recruited nice players, six of the big 10 teams have recruited BETTER classes than Iowa. NIT--perhaps an outside chance but I doubt it. I think we go to the NIT the following year. 20 wins for Iowa next year...boy that is some enthusiasm.

We thought long and hard before renewing them this year but finally did. Don't know how we'll end up on that decision next year. Our #7 in the BT recruiting class might sink after the spring signing period. We know it's not going up.

I'm not sure who Iowa will replace in the standings next year in the Big 10. I fully expect to be one of the bottom four teams in the big 10 again although I do like the optimism of some.They will have just as much trouble on the road next year as they did this year and they will have just as much trouble with the top teams as they did this year. They may win a few more games in the Big 10 but Indiana will be much better with their best player back. All the other teams are going to improve also and they also have recruited nice players, six of the big 10 teams have recruited BETTER classes than Iowa. NIT--perhaps an outside chance but I doubt it. I think we go to the NIT the following year. 20 wins for Iowa next year...boy that is some enthusiasm.

Well I said 15-20. Look at this year's schedule/results. I count 16 games that we either did/could have/should have won up to this point, with as many as 4 winnable games left (Minnnesota, NW twice, Indiana). This team is very young, and young teams don't usually win the close ones. But with the experience they've gained this year, they should be able to take more of the close ones. Last I counted, 16+4=20. Obviously it's unlikely that a team would win ALL of their close games. But anything between 15-20 was very possible this year if we weren't so young.

So I'm not saying we WILL win 20 next year. I just said I think it's possible, and looking at the close games, our overall youth this year, the incoming class, and the fact that Purdue, Michigan State, and Wisconsin all either do or face a distinct possibility of having to replace quite a bit next year. Purdue loses Kramer and Grant, and then Hummel, Moore, and Johnson all will have the option to go pro. Michigan State is likely going to lose Lucas, and do lose Raymar Morgan. Wisconsin will have to replace Hughes and Bohannon. And Michigan loses Sims, and he's the reason they've beaten us to a pulp the last couple years. Manny Harris may also elect to leave.

What do we lose? Bawinkle, and that's it. Everyone else is back. Now are we going to sweep MSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin because of this next year? No, that would be foolish. But to think we could at least split the games with those teams isn't unreachable given how we've played this year and what those teams lose.

MSU returns Green,Lucas,Summers,Allen,Roe,Luscious,Nix,Sherman out of their 9 man rotation...Morgan is the only senior. Lucas might come out,but no lock. They have the best recruiting class in the school's history coming in (according to MSU fans) and it is rated in the top 8. If we beat them next year, it will be a big upset.

Michigan is the team I could see Iowa leapfrogging...I do think Harris will come out,altho his stock is down so that could change, and Sims is gone.

IU has two good (top125 players) coming in,Creek will be back, and Jones/Walthall/Hull/Coppabianco/Pritchard all return...they will stay ahead of Iowa.

NW has everyone back cept for Nash and add all Big Ten 1st team performer Coble and a top 90 pg in Cobb. No way.

PSU returns everyone...and adds a top 75 player in Battles brother.

Wisky returns everyone but Hughes and Bohannon. Every year,I think they will drop off, but every year,they just re-load. Taylor is already one of the top guards in the league, and Leuer will be a top big man. Evans is a promising big man also. Forget it..wisky will remain ahead of Iowa...Wilson,Jarmuz,Bergrenn also will be solid.

I can see Iowa finishing in the 8th-11th group...probably 9th or 10th. What nu?

MSU returns Green,Lucas,Summers,Allen,Roe,Luscious,Nix,Sherman out of their 9 man rotation...Morgan is the only senior. Lucas might come out,but no lock. They have the best recruiting class in the school's history coming in (according to MSU fans) and it is rated in the top 8. If we beat them next year, it will be a big upset.

Michigan is the team I could see Iowa leapfrogging...I do think Harris will come out,altho his stock is down so that could change, and Sims is gone.

IU has two good (top125 players) coming in,Creek will be back, and Jones/Walthall/Hull/Coppabianco/Pritchard all return...they will stay ahead of Iowa.

NW has everyone back cept for Nash and add all Big Ten 1st team performer Coble and a top 90 pg in Cobb. No way.

PSU returns everyone...and adds a top 75 player in Battles brother.

Wisky returns everyone but Hughes and Bohannon. Every year,I think they will drop off, but every year,they just re-load. Taylor is already one of the top guards in the league, and Leuer will be a top big man. Evans is a promising big man also. Forget it..wisky will remain ahead of Iowa...Wilson,Jarmuz,Bergrenn also will be solid.

I can see Iowa finishing in the 8th-11th group...probably 9th or 10th. What nu?

I was figuring that Lucas will come out. He's one of the top players in the country, and now has two very productive years under his belt. But we did play them tough this year in East Lansing. That's what makes me think we might be able to upset them once next year. I'm not saying Iowa would jump over any of those top teams, I'm just saying we can beat them. Iowa will be better next year than they are now, and they beat IU by 15 on the road. I don't see IU making a big jump until 2011. We'll find out just where we stack up against Northwestern here in the coming weeks. I don't see why it's SOOO impossible for this team to get better.

Latest posts