Screens and draws

Rick1988

How come we haven't been running wide receiver screens or quarter back draws? Stanzi isn't that bad of a runner and it seems like we haven't run a receiver screen since Ed Hinkle left. We have receivers who can make things happen, why not change things up a bit and keep em guessing?

Have you seen Stanzi run, I don't think a QB draw is a great play for this offense. I always liked the wide receiver screen, not sure why they don't like that play, it beats the little out pattern that Stanzi has a hard time completing and that has been picked off.

How about in honor of the MSU game we throw a couple more little dink slants for 7 yds at a time and maybe make it easier on our selves. McNutt to DJK statue of liberty play? How bout' Moeaki and DJK split out to the wide side and throw a WR screen and Mo kick out the CB? Lots of options.

How come we haven't been running wide receiver screens or quarter back draws? Stanzi isn't that bad of a runner and it seems like we haven't run a receiver screen since Ed Hinkle left. We have receivers who can make things happen, why not change things up a bit and keep em guessing?

someone asked KF that on his last call-in show, and his response was that they don't have that in right now, for a couple different reasons. he also said a few years back they ran it a lot for certain reasons as well.

The last time I remember seeing it for sure was in the Alamo Bowl when Brodell took it in for a touchdown. I think it's about Stanzi. If you look at when he has thrown picks, it has been when he, rather than making his own decision on the fly, throws to the guy he decided to throw to before the play started. Maybe the coaches don't want to risk giving up an easy 6 if the D reads it and Stanzi still makes the throw.

I'd be happy with a few more RB screens as well. We get 24 yards on the one screen pass to Wegher and then we don't run it again. I'm not saying we should run it 10 times in a game, but 2-3 times wouldn't be a bad thing.

having bob davie do this next game,all i can thin of.is him always talking about (2002 season) how good we exacute the "jail break sceen". maybe they will start using it again

But if the (arguably) best WR coach in college football is telling you he doesn't like to run the screens and can give you reasons why it's not a favorable thing to do, you'll proabably listen. Campbell is the best person to judge the strengths of the WR corp. If he doesn't think running screens plays into the strengths of how to use the WR, I'd think KF and KOK are going to give it some consideration.

Is this serious? Stanzi is a horrible runner...with the upright way he runs he is going to have a hard time getting down before getting decapitated or turning the ball over, he is also slow, white, and white. Secondly, he has no backup if he gets smoked and has to come out, it would change too much in the offense...

Last edited:
please explain why stanzi being white has anything to do whith this

as a QB he's slow, not elusive, lacks creativity while he has ball, lacks awareness while running and is more susceptible to getting the ball chopped out from behind, can't cut, has no open field moves, can not break tackles...He's cut from the Kyle Orton, Tom Brady mold, he can escape in the pocket and behind the line of scrimmage using little step ups or side steps. These two moves of course being viable because you are using the defenses athleticism against them, not really making any great athletic play as a QB. Therefore, these moves can typically be described as white QB moves. There are exceptions to these facts but usually a white QB that runs is either 1)actually a tight end/H-Back playing QB (Tim Tebow) or 2) is actually a DB/Kick Returner playing QB (Eric Crouch)

as a QB he's slow, not elusive, lacks creativity while he has ball, lacks awareness while running and is more susceptible to getting the ball chopped out from behind, can't cut, has no open field moves, can not break tackles...

Did you see the MNF game last night? You just described Jason Campbell who, ironically, is black.

I don't remember saying that all white QB's are bad runners and all black QB's are good runners...

I understand. I found it humorous that your description of Stanzi was almost nearly a dead-on description of Campbell as well.

I don't want to be the PC police swooping in here to slap you on the wrists. There is definitely a racial profile with QB's that has been beaten to death in the past...and for the most part, has proven to be correct, I might add. Black QB's are viewed as having more mobility, while if a white QB can move a little bit, he's "deceptively mobile."

There, I'm done.

im sure most everyone here agrees that a players skin color is not relivent at all to his / hers athletic abilities

im sure most everyone here agrees that a players skin color is not relivent at all to his / hers athletic abilities

Agree 100%. While not relevant, there is a prevailing stereotype that accompanies those of a particular skin color, whether it be white or black, but should not be the crux by which a person's athleticism is measured.

Agree 100%. While not relevant, there is a prevailing stereotype that accompanies those of a particular skin color, whether it be white or black, but should not be the crux by which a person's athleticism is measured.

agreed, however, while it may not be scientifically proven I always like to go with what I see with my own eyes...and on ESPN Psych!

Latest posts