Scouting Indiana: Explaining the Pistol Offense

I'm not convinced that Indiana will give up ANY sacks. Even with Chappell's injury, they get the ball out of there is a BIG hurry. I'd look for them to try to attack our LBs more in coverage by checking down in the passing game to the FB/RB coming out of the backfield.

Of course, these days, Indiana has still been playing A LOT from the shotgun with nobody back. That allows them to buy a little extra time too. Against Iowa, they're going to likely try to spread us out BOTH laterally and vertically. They're going to want to increase the room underneath for their check-down guys ... and also give them more space so that they have more chance to get yardage after the catch.

Extra pressure will get put on Iowa's D because we'd ideally want to counter Indiana's passing attack with more 3-4 looks. However, with Nielsen out, we're getting short on healthy LBs. Furthermore, given how solid Nielsen was at that hugely important LEO spot ... his injury will likely be sorely missed. Thus, we better hope that Tarp is continuing to make up ground. Given that Hunter has a knee issue ... I'm not certain how much it will help us to have him back if he's playing a step or two slow.

The match-up of the IU O versus the Iowa D could be an interesting one. Indiana will definitely be able to move the ball ... however, it will be interesting whether Iowa will be able to force many/any turnovers.

More importantly, if ARob is out for the game, how well will Iowa's O be able to keep the chains moving? Will we be able to eat up clock and move the ball efficiently and get an early lead?

From the games I have watched so far they struggle to pass block on the entire O-line. Illinois really punished Chappell with just 4 and 3 man fronts. I agree that they look to get rid of the ball quickly but they are sometimes a revolving door up front.

From the games I have watched so far they struggle to pass block on the entire O-line. Illinois really punished Chappell with just 4 and 3 man fronts. I agree that they look to get rid of the ball quickly but they are sometimes a revolving door up front.

I'll be VERY curious how furious of a pass-rush our DL gets in the game.

Latest posts