Schwartz Sunday Notes: Offense or Defense, But Not Both

Losing McCaffrey would be a blow to Iowa Basketball? Haha what???
arent_ready_yet_bttf.gif

Losing McCaffrey would be a blow to Iowa Basketball? Haha what???

Taken in the context of the last three paragraphs of the article, I sense a fair amount of sarcasm/cynicism not too deep below the surface. Emphasis mine....

Most curious was the revelation by Iowa that McCaffery has received “multiple opportunities to leave,” according to Iowa’s Matt Weitzel.

Losing McCaffery would be a blow to Hawkeye basketball. It would be inconvenient for Iowa athletic director Gary Barta to have to do a coaching search. But is that enough to attach such a massive, nearly unprecedented buyout?

It’s too much. It might not be too much at Duke or North Carolina, but it’s too much at Iowa, especially for a talented coach yet to produce a single regular-season championship or tournament crown.

Taken in the context of the last three paragraphs of the article, I sense a fair amount of sarcasm/cynicism not too deep below the surface. Emphasis mine....

Most curious was the revelation by Iowa that McCaffery has received “multiple opportunities to leave,” according to Iowa’s Matt Weitzel.

Losing McCaffery would be a blow to Hawkeye basketball. It would be inconvenient for Iowa athletic director Gary Barta to have to do a coaching search. But is that enough to attach such a massive, nearly unprecedented buyout?

It’s too much. It might not be too much at Duke or North Carolina, but it’s too much at Iowa, especially for a talented coach yet to produce a single regular-season championship or tournament crown.
I call complete and unadulterated BULLSHIT at the "multiple opportunities to leave"! I want the names of the programs. Otherwise, it's another one of Barta's many fairy tales.
It would be inconvenient for Iowa athletic director Gary Barta to have to do a coaching search. Wut??? I'd hate to think that Barta might have to do his damn job! That would suck.

By defense I am assuming he means scoring defense. That stat is deceptive for a team like Iowa. Fran wants his teams to get out in transition and he wants shots early in the shot clock. Therefore the opponent will have many more possessions and the scoring defensive numbers will be high. It is not surprising when Iowa is at the top of the league in scoring offense they are at the bottom in scoring defense. A better metric to look at would be defensive points per possession.

After all that gibberish I just rambled on about. The defense hasn’t been good the last year and half. There isn’t a metric out there that can justify what we have been seeing lately.

I call complete and unadulterated BULLSHIT at the "multiple opportunities to leave"! I want the names of the programs. Otherwise, it's another one of Barta's many fairy tales.
It would be inconvenient for Iowa athletic director Gary Barta to have to do a coaching search. Wut??? I'd hate to think that Barta might have to do his damn job! That would suck.

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if low level D1 teams have come calling since they probably figure Iowa might want to cut ties. Obviously, we all know that no P5 or high level mid-majors have inquired.

I assume the inconvenience part in relation to Barta is his cancer, but it would probably be best for all involved if Barta's 2nd in command led the search. Really anyone other than Barta. Miguel the janitor would be fine by me.

By defense I am assuming he means scoring defense. That stat is deceptive for a team like Iowa. Fran wants his teams to get out in transition and he wants shots early in the shot clock. Therefore the opponent will have many more possessions and the scoring defensive numbers will be high. It is not surprising when Iowa is at the top of the league in scoring offense they are at the bottom in scoring defense. A better metric to look at would be defensive points per possession.

After all that gibberish I just rambled on about. The defense hasn’t been good the last year and half. There isn’t a metric out there that can justify what we have been seeing lately.

I don't do a lot of betting...but some...I would bet...that Iowa can find a replacement coach who can get the team to 11-12 in mid January most years...

Wonder what "Multiple opportunities to leave" actually means. Not only could it mean that Fran has had other offers, rather unlikely, or that he has been offered a buyout by the University.....

Latest posts