Schwartz: 10 Sentences, Isaiah Moss Edition

One of my top ten comments about this transfer is questioning the racial make up of the Iowa team. It's not even remotely on par with college basketball. I'm not saying it's anything intentional on Fran or his staff...I'm just saying it's an interesting fact. If you don't think it would be an interesting thing to discuss on a recruiting visit...well...I would think you are wrong.

Hell, I looked at Utah and they have 7 African American players of their 15 roster players. Racial thing or not, intentional thing or not...it's an issue.

One of my top ten comments about this transfer is questioning the racial make up of the Iowa team. It's not even remotely on par with college basketball. I'm not saying it's anything intentional on Fran or his staff...I'm just saying it's an interesting fact. If you don't think it would be an interesting thing to discuss on a recruiting visit...well...I would think you are wrong.

Hell, I looked at Utah and they have 7 African American players of their 15 roster players. Racial thing or not, intentional thing or not...it's an issue.
Was a kid so my memory might be off. 1980 Iowa played minutes with Waite, Hansen, Special K, Boyle, and Gannon on the court. It was unusual looking, not something oft seen snywhere. Honestly never expected to see that much again.

good teams need a player like Moss: steady, consistent, fearless, talented enough to be periodically dangerous​

I enjoyed watching Moss play and wish him well, but he was neither steady nor consistent. His flashes of brilliance stand in stark contrast to the games where he didn't assert himself enough to be a real program difference maker.

good teams need a player like Moss: steady, consistent, fearless, talented enough to be periodically dangerous​

I enjoyed watching Moss play and wish him well, but he was neither steady nor consistent. His flashes of brilliance stand in stark contrast to the games where he didn't assert himself enough to be a real program difference maker.
This.

He scored 13, four over his eventual season average, last December against Michigan State during another one of the Spartans’ poundings of the Hawkeyes; the following month he scored 13 again in Iowa’s loss to Purdue; and he put up 23 points in a loss to Minnesota.

There is no context to this. Did he play well early in these games before the outcome was decided? Or did he play loose and score when the games turned into blowouts? I don’t know the answer.

Also, the game is about far more than scoring.

I could see the national media taking this and running with it, particularly with the Barta discrimination cases. Not good optics. Its not like the state begins with the benefit of the doubt regarding inclusivity.

I could see the national media taking this and running with it, particularly with the Barta discrimination cases. Not good optics. Its not like the state begins with the benefit of the doubt regarding inclusivity.
Not so much the national media, but our recruiting competition. Some people believe, and I don't know if it's true, that Hunter Rawlings in 1989 threatening to unilaterally make freshmen ineligible had a negative impact on recruiting.

That was before social media. It wouldn't take much for snake oil recruiters to spin this, no matter how inaccurate it would be. (I mean we had African Americans coaching both of our basketball teams in the mid 1980's for example) Barta, with the way he has handled other recent bias issues, wouldn't have much of a pot to piss in here. Then you have Dolphin's comments on Dailey and Bruno Fernando, neither of which were meant to be racist in any way, shape or form. But perceptions man!