Scary

blubberhawk

How good the BIG could be again next season.

Did you know that:

#1. Michigan started 3 freshman, 1 sophomore and a jr. against the 4 Senior starters for Kansas.
#2. OSU started 3 juniors and 2 sophomores against the 4 senior starters for ISU.
#3. MSU loses only 1 Senior
#4. Indiana could possibly return Sheehey, Zeller, Farrell, Oladipo and 4 incoming, ESPN top 100 players.
#5. Iowa loses 1 senior.
#6. Purdue loses 1 starter
#7. Penn St. loses 1 senior and gets their best player back from injury.
#8. Wisc. loses 3 pretty good players but will still be Wisc. (meaning a whole bunch of real ugly players that will find a way to finish in the top half of the league.)

A lot depends on who enters the draft..

The key is the best players will leave. Take Burke, Oladipo, maybe Zeller, out of the picture and it is a different ball game.

Beyond that, there are marginal pick guys like Robinson, Harris, Hardaway, Jackson, etc. I think more guys will choose to stay than go, but who knows?

But it definitely is NOT going to be an easy road. Fran picked about the worse possible time to try to break into this conference. Iowa could have its best team in a long time next year and only see incremental improvement in overall wins.

Last edited:
And part of the shake up in the league standings next year could be which players make the most improvement and which team melds together the best

What's going to be scary for the rest of the conference is how good we're going to be with virtually everyone coming back plus Jok, Uthoff, and Meyer being thrown into the mix. If you combine that with the offseason improvement of players like Gesell, Clemmons, Woodbury, Oglesby, Olaseni, McCabe, Marble, Basabe, etc....you are going to have a phenomenal team and one that has all the right pieces to win a Big 10 title.

What's going to be scary for the rest of the conference is how good we're going to be with virtually everyone coming back plus Jok, Uthoff, and Meyer being thrown into the mix. If you combine that with the offseason improvement of players like Gesell, Clemmons, Woodbury, Oglesby, Olaseni, McCabe, Marble, Basabe, etc....you are going to have a phenomenal team and one that has all the right pieces to win a Big 10 title.

lulz, i know you

People are putting a touch to much expectations on 3 incoming freshman. But I agree that we COULD be tough if we get improvement from 4-6 of our returning minutes and even a little from the incoming frosh. I personally will be happy with top 4 in the B1G.

People are putting a touch to much expectations on 3 incoming freshman. But I agree that we COULD be tough if we get improvement from 4-6 of our returning minutes and even a little from the incoming frosh. I personally will be happy with top 4 in the B1G.

I will be happy with being in the NCAA tournament.

Even reports now of the Michigan center going as a lottery pick.

If there is one sport that I don't understand how players are viewed by scouting services it is the NBA and its draft. It would make no sense if McGary was a lottery pick, who out there sees him as any kind of an impact player in the NBA next season or ever?

If there is one sport that I don't understand how players are viewed by scouting services it is the NBA and its draft. It would make no sense if McGary was a lottery pick, who out there sees him as any kind of an impact player in the NBA next season or ever?

You mean other than NBA gm's?

You mean other than NBA gm's?

Yeah, they must, but for a while there they seemed to not even know when the big talent dip took place when the best players were leaving the game. When the high school players quit going straight, it has began to make a little more sense, but still a bit puzzling.

I can understand why there are services that have DeShaun Thomas out of the first round and I think he should go back to OSU and see if he can improve his defense, he is a lesser version of Calbert Chaney and it took Chaney a while to have any impact in the NBA. Look at Sullinger, after his freshman year people had him in the Top 5, after his sophomore year and was essentially the same player, not even in the Top 15 and a guy called Royce White getting drafted higher than him. Perry Jones is another one, tabbed as the No.1 pick then toward the latter half of the 1st round after staying an extra year.

Yeah, they must, but for a while there they seemed to not even know when the big talent dip took place when the best players were leaving the game. When the high school players quit going straight, it has began to make a little more sense, but still a bit puzzling.

I can understand why there are services that have DeShaun Thomas out of the first round and I think he should go back to OSU and see if he can improve his defense, he is a lesser version of Calbert Chaney and it took Chaney a while to have any impact in the NBA. Look at Sullinger, after his freshman year people had him in the Top 5, after his sophomore year and was essentially the same player, not even in the Top 15 and a guy called Royce White getting drafted higher than him. Perry Jones is another one, tabbed as the No.1 pick then toward the latter half of the 1st round after staying an extra year.

Sully dropped because his back injury scared people. NBA GMs have improved because they get one more year to evaluate talent now that kids can't go straight from HS. The one thing you have to realize about NBA gm's is they draft as much n potential than anything else, and definitely more than any other sport. In many cases its more about protection than reality.

That's not scary.

This is scary.

walmart18.jpg

Sully dropped because his back injury scared people. NBA GMs have improved because they get one more year to evaluate talent now that kids can't go straight from HS. The one thing you have to realize about NBA gm's is they draft as much n potential than anything else, and definitely more than any other sport. In many cases its more about protection than reality.

It so much more of a crapshoot for them it seems by drafting in this fashion. Expand the draft and affiliate Developmental teams with franchises and go from there, I think it would be an interesting move for the NBA.

It so much more of a crapshoot for them it seems by drafting in this fashion. Expand the draft and affiliate Developmental teams with franchises and go from there, I think it would be an interesting move for the NBA.

Its that way for a reason. The NBA daft is only two rounds. With only two rounds GMS understand wuality players will be avail via undrafted free agents so they'd rather focus on hitting a home run with their draft picks. It's completely unlike the NFL which typically rewards teams who can use the draft to acquire many solid players and add depth.

Its that way for a reason. The NBA daft is only two rounds. With only two rounds GMS understand wuality players will be avail via undrafted free agents so they'd rather focus on hitting a home run with their draft picks. It's completely unlike the NFL which typically rewards teams who can use the draft to acquire many solid players and add depth.

That ideology is what got them in trouble to begin with when the league was unwatchable for a period of time there, it is far better today than a few years ago. The player development portion was thrown out the window and not going to college for at least a year didn't weed guys out.

For the record...we only have 1 incoming freshman.