Sad day in Iowa history

rkhemp

I've been very disappointed in how the media and Barta handled this situation. This could have been handled a lot differently by a lot of people.

I remember when Alford left and Bobby Knight said the Iowa job was a bad job to have and you couldn't consistantly win here. I disagreed with him then but couldn't agree with him more now.

We just sent a former NCOTY packing in a very non-professional way. The coaching frat has taken noticed. I believe our next head coach will have great ties to Iowa, as no one outside would touch this job.

Last edited:
I've been very disappointed in how the media and Barta handled this situation. This could have been handled alot differently by alot of people.

I remember when Alford left and Bobby Knight said the Iowa job was a bad job to have and you couldn't consitantly win here. I disagreed with him then but couldn't agree with him more now.

We just sent a former NCOTY packing in a very non-professional way. The coaching frat has taken noticed. I believe our next head coach will have great ties to Iowa, as no one outside would touch this job.

Question, how should have it been handled differently? I don't get how it was non-professional?

Good! He better have great ties to Iowa (ala Pearl, Forbes etc)...the only "non-Iowa " coaches I will accept are: 1. Self, 2. Izzo, 3. Coack K 4. Matta...and thats about it...and I doubt those would happen so....

I've been very disappointed in how the media and Barta handled this situation. This could have been handled alot differently by alot of people.

I remember when Alford left and Bobby Knight said the Iowa job was a bad job to have and you couldn't consitantly win here. I disagreed with him then but couldn't agree with him more now.

Unless Barta leaked information out last week that turned into the parade of messageboards, I'm not sure what else you could be disappointed with?

Question, how should have it been handled differently? I don't get how it was non-professional?

I agree with the OP. I'm guessing there were intentional media leaks, etc.

And to have 'Dolph' asking lick about his future 5 minutes after the b10 tourney game was in bad taste. but you know how the media is - gotta be first with the news!

What is a good and pleasant way to fire a guy?

Honestly, I want someone who disapproves of the way this was handled by the atheltic department to tell me the way it shoudl have been handled by Barta on down.

Please give us an example of a ''professional'' way of handling this?
No amount of window dressing can hide a firing...it is always harsh.
Barta stepped up and showed the courage to admit his own mistake...that is very professional.

And to have 'Dolph' asking lick about his future 5 minutes after the b10 tourney game was in bad taste. but you know how the media is - gotta be first with the news!

Intentional media leaks? So again, I'm not sure what the OP was talking about when he said it was in bad taste of how this was handled? Firing someone is never easy.

It's the way we have made big-time sports...there's gonna be instances like this. Lick is compensated nicely, I think he'll have a roof over his head the rest of his life. ;)

The main disappointment I had with the media was camping out Lickliter's meeting with Barta, although it's not surprising at all that they did so. I think a bunch of cameras/reporters are the last thing you want to see after you've just gotten fired, especially if you put a lot into your job.

And for this, they get the info, what, five hours earlier than they'd get it at the press conference? Doesn't seem worth the trade off to me.

I agree, 58 losses in 3 years is very non-professional way of getting things done.

Wanna know a sad day in Iowa Basketball History? Losing 22 games in a season, 10k empty seats in CHA, players transfering constantly (let alone 3 top scorers) now that is sad. 3 seasons is enough to prove there is hope. There was zero hope after this season!

Hi Todd. I know you've had a tough morning, and I understand your disdain. Good luck in moving forward to your next job.

What is a good and pleasant way to fire a guy?

Honestly, I want someone who disapproves of the way this was handled by the atheltic department to tell me the way it shoudl have been handled by Barta on down.

Ghost, I have no idea. But the OP stated that Iowa/Barta handled it terrible and I asked why he thought that. I think we are on the same page as far as it was handled.

i'm guessing that the sources of those leaks last week were boosters and other people in the program who knew what barta wanted to do with lick after the season and wanted to make sure he couldn't back out.

i don't know what could have been handled better. this might have felt drawn out to those of us who hang on every minute, but lickliter is being let go the day after the end of the regular season. it's not like he twisted in the wind. and what sort of questions should the media have asked? the guy's team lost 22 games and didn't put up much of a fight against a bad michigan team. he was going to be asked about next year regardless of whatever leaks/rumors were spread that day.

Plenty of Heisman winners have been kicked to the curb by pro teams. He was great at small ball but it didn't equate to greatness in a major conference. The university has been doing its best to control the situation but the cat is out of the bag. Time to skin it.

I seriously doubt if the leak was done by Barta. I have no doubt that he has some dotted line obligation to contact high power boosters.

Don't you think it is possible that some of these high power guys like to be the first out with information? To me that is much more plausible than Barta leaking the info...