Ryan Boyle 2015 QB

KatoZenti

Quarterback Ryan Boyle, who led Dowling Catholic to an unbeaten season and the Class 4-A state championship, has been named the state's Gatorade football player of the year.

Boyle was a dual threat in the backfield. He passed for 1,833 yards and 21 touchdowns while throwing three interceptions. He rushed for 1,332 yards and 24 scores.

The winner is selected based on athletic performance, academic success and character on and off the field. The junior is the second Dowling football player to win the award since it began in 1986. Connor Bravard took the honors in 2011.

There has been one two-time winner of the Iowa award. Solon's James Morris was honored in 2009-10.

I've seen Boyle play this past season and is a very special football player that can do a lot of different things for a team. He really stood out in Dowling's playoff run towards the championship.

It'll be interesting to see if Iowa makes an offer.

Quarterback Ryan Boyle, who led Dowling Catholic to an unbeaten season and the Class 4-A state championship, has been named the state's Gatorade football player of the year.

Boyle was a dual threat in the backfield. He passed for 1,833 yards and 21 touchdowns while throwing three interceptions. He rushed for 1,332 yards and 24 scores.

The winner is selected based on athletic performance, academic success and character on and off the field. The junior is the second Dowling football player to win the award since it began in 1986. Connor Bravard took the honors in 2011.

There has been one two-time winner of the Iowa award. Solon's James Morris was honored in 2009-10.

I've seen Boyle play this past season and is a very special football player that can do a lot of different things for a team. He really stood out in Dowling's playoff run towards the championship.

It'll be interesting to see if Iowa makes an offer.

With Benneventi in the fold now, I doubt they offer unless they feel he can be a safety or linebacker...

He's a good athlete. I definitely think he could switch positions and still have a lot of value. As a Dowling grad myself I hope we offer.

He's a good athlete. I definitely think he could switch positions and still have a lot of value. As a Dowling grad myself I hope we offer.

Really? Dowling grad? Well...we have one more thing in common besides our love of the Hawks and steak.

Kid is very, very tiny. That's what stood out the most to me when I watched him play on TV in the semis and finals. No way this kid has the body type or physicality to transfer over to the defensive side of the ball at the college level. Pretty sure he's never played a snap of defense. He does not look at all like a RB or WR either. This kid is a QB all the way, and as previously noted, that opportunity is not going to present itself for him at Iowa. This one just isn't in the cards.

Kid is very, very tiny. That's what stood out the most to me when I watched him play on TV in the semis and finals. No way this kid has the body type or physicality to transfer over to the defensive side of the ball at the college level. Pretty sure he's never played a snap of defense. He does not look at all like a RB or WR either. This kid is a QB all the way, and as previously noted, that opportunity is not going to present itself for him at Iowa. This one just isn't in the cards.

I thought he was like 6'1" 205? Seems like great size for a defensive back, and he has good speed. Muscle isn't an issue as he can put a lot on during a redshirt season.

I thought he was like 6'1" 205? Seems like great size for a defensive back, and he has good speed. Muscle isn't an issue as he can put a lot on during a redshirt season.

You are correct. Hes built well for a junior in HS. Also, he ran for 24 TD’s in the CIML so I wouldnt be too concerned about his strength or toughness. I could definitely see him switching positions.

All I know is that he looked like a midget playing against Dowling and Xavier. Also, he is getting serious D1 looks at QB. Why on earth would he settle for a position change at a place like Iowa when he could be a starting QB at ISU, Kansas, or Minnesota?

All I know is that he looked like a midget playing against Dowling and Xavier. Also, he is getting serious D1 looks at QB. Why on earth would he settle for a position change at a place like Iowa when he could be a starting QB at ISU, Kansas, or Minnesota?

I feel like you've answered your own question there.

;) LOL

Who is the best UI QB that went to an Iowa HS in the past 30 years?

I'm pretty sure the options are Kyle McCann, James Vandenberg, Matt Sherman, and Randy Reiners. Most people will say Sherman, but I think he really benefited from having a ton of offensive talent around him. My vote goes to McCann.

I'm pretty sure the options are Kyle McCann, James Vandenberg, Matt Sherman, and Randy Reiners. Most people will say Sherman, but I think he really benefited from having a ton of offensive talent around him. My vote goes to McCann.

Just double-checked, and I failed to include Paul Burmeister and Ryan Driscoll. After looking at the numbers, I'll still take McCann.

Junior QB Ryan Boyle Dowling Catholic (West Des Moines)--Only threw for 40 yards on 5-of-10 passing, but ran for 197 yards and 2 TDs on 23 carries against Valley. Accounted for 365 yards of offense and 6 TDs (4 rushing, 2 passing) against Cedar Rapids Xavier in the championship game.

Listed at 6'1" 200 lbs. according to IHSAA souvenir program for 2013 football semifinals.

Latest posts