Rutgers NET

NikeHawk21

Rutgers NET is at 98, but they are 7-11 in the best conference in the country?

There are three B1G teams that Rutgers is every bit as good as that own substantially higher NET rankings.

-Penn State 48 (5-13 BT) (Rutgers won at PSU)

-Nebraska 51 (5-14 BT) (Rutgers beat Neb at the RAC)

-Indiana 55 (6-12 BT) (Rutgers beat Indiana at the RAC)

Rutgers also boasts wins over Ohio State and at Iowa. What gives here?

Also how the F is 12-17 Penn State 49 in the NET while 21-8 Iowa is at 40? Is the NET giving too much of a reward to teams that have a difficult schedule?

Penn State SOS: #3
Rutgers SOS: #76
Iowa SOS: #96

That's probably a huge difference there.
I think at a certain point there has to be more value placed on actually winning games. Penn State is 12-17.

Their net is stronger because they have a few nice wins, but of course they’ve beaten a few good teams because they’ve had so many opportunities.

I think at a certain point there has to be more value placed on actually winning games. Penn State is 12-17.

Their net is stronger because they have a few nice wins, but of course they’ve beaten a few good teams because they’ve had so many opportunities.
I think multiple variables will be considered. Use PSU as an example. Their NET of 48 is definitely good enough for an at large bid. But they have to win the BTT to get in. And winning every game from now until the BTT championship game could put their NET in the 30s.

Iowa has 9 more wins and is 9 spots ahead of Penn State. Makes sense. The funny thing about strength of schedule is a team's strength is based on a metric that has teams like Penn State at 49 with 12 wins. I agree with NikeHawk. How you do in the games should be more important.

I think multiple variables will be considered. Use PSU as an example. Their NET of 48 is definitely good enough for an at large bid. But they have to win the BTT to get in. And winning every game from now until the BTT championship game could put their NET in the 30s.

If a team wins 14 regular season games and gets a top 30 ranking, something is really messed up.

But that doesn’t explain how they are much farther behind in NET than they are in the KenPom does it?

I think what happened to Rutgers in the NET is they have a really really bad loss to Fordham and a fairly weak schedule. I just think one horrible performance shouldn’t hurt them that much.

NET does not adjust their efficiency ratings by opponent strength while Kenpom does. In other words the net efficiency is basically one's scoring margin. Nebraska kicked the crap out of bad teams earlier in the year so their efficiency is inflated without taking a hit due to opponent strength. Also remember NET has a scoring margin(capped at 10) factor as well. So the stat is basically doubling up on the net scoring margin. So I guess it's the scoring margin not being altered by opponent strength that's causing the discrepancies.

Rutgers:

upload_2019-3-6_17-22-17.png

Nebraska:

upload_2019-3-6_17-22-31.png

upload_2019-3-6_17-11-58.png

Iowa has 9 more wins and is 9 spots ahead of Penn State. Makes sense. The funny thing about strength of schedule is a team's strength is based on a metric that has teams like Penn State at 49 with 12 wins. I agree with NikeHawk. How you do in the games should be more important.
It’s almost as if more value is given to playing a really good team and losing than winning against a bad team. Not sure that’s fair.

NET does not adjust their efficiency ratings by opponent strength while Kenpom does. In other words the net efficiency is basically one's scoring margin. Nebraska kicked the crap out of bad teams earlier in the year so their efficiency is inflated without taking a hit due to opponent strength. Also remember NET has a scoring margin(capped at 10) factor as well. So the stat is basically doubling up on the net scoring margin. So I guess it's the scoring margin not being altered by opponent strength that's causing the discrepancies.

Rutgers:

View attachment 5140

Nebraska:

View attachment 5141

View attachment 5139
That should do it!
giphy.gif

Don't discount a team's performance at the end of the year. They are considered more tournament worthy and rightly so since it shows if they are peaking or rolling downhill. The latter seems to follow Fran's teams around.

Please don't. I dont want to puke.
It's more respectable than I thought.

If Penn State holds off Rutgers tonight, it's 7-10.

I thought it would be 5-12 or something like that.

I didn't look up Michigan State's next game after their December win because it would have been out of conference.

In other news, Tom Crean's bunch down in Georgia put up a senior night performance that put even Iowa to shame.

Shooting a blistering 25.5% from the field, they were edged by Missouri 64-39.

Replacing the departed Mark Fox in a move that got some play on these boards last spring, Tom Crean is now 11-19 in his first year at Georgia.

Latest posts