Running backs next year?

cloneaddict

Hey guys ISU fan here. Don't hate me or anything I'm not going to troll around or post anyhting stupid, I was just checking out the site and it was pretty much identical to CF. Who do you guys think your starting RB will be next year? I followed Wegher through high school and really think he will be special for you guys in the future.

I would say based on recent activity, it will be Robinson as the clear #1 with Hampton as the #2 and Wegher as #3/utility back. Unless their are injuries or other stuff that I am missing.

I should clarify that I still think at the end of the year, Hampton will have the most carries. Just has to work his way back up.

Last edited:
I would say based on recent activity, it will be Robinson as the clear #1 with Hampton as the #2 and Wegher as #3/utility back. Unless their are injuries or other stuff that I am missing.

I should clarify that I still think at the end of the year, Hampton will have the most carries. Just has to work his way back up.

I agree. I think Hampton will take over #1 spot when Big 10 play starts. I bet at the end of the year carry %'s will be Hampton 60%, Robinson 30%, Wegher 10%

I think the coaches will use the trio to full effect. I think Ferentz has already mentioned rotating the three. If it hasn't happened already, Hampton is all but certain to be suspended for EIU due to his recent shenanigans. Robinson and Wegher will start the season as #1 and #2, and Hampton will have to blow things up (on the field, Jewel, don't get any more bad ideas...) to get to #1.

We've been stung by RB injuries too often to let any one of the three go to waste. If one guy gets a papercut, Kirk will go ahead and put the "next man in." I'll bet they're thinking about wearing down defenses in the second half and putting in "fresh legs" in the fourth quarter.

I think percentage of carries is a good way to try to think about this question:
Robinson: 35%
Hampton: 30%
Wegher: 30%
Stanzi: 5%
(look for Rick to tuck the ball and scramble more often this year as part of his efforts to reduce INTs)

I think the number of carries and PT will be decided by injuries, so its kind of a pointless exercise to guess at this point in time. I think we have three good options.

One big question is how much of Jewell's speed and confidence will return this season. In 08, he came in to spell Greene and had a real nice burst, seemed to hit the correct hole most of the time and broke off some nice runs.

Jewell gave us a lot to be confident about in 09 but still had not been an every down back. It was easy to understand how running behind a back like Shonn Greene could enhance your performance.

Wegher and Robinson both have 1 full year of being every down backs, hanging on to the football and producing on arguably the greatest Iowa team in the past 30 years. Jewell will play, and probably play a lot, but he will have to fight and claw his way back to number 1. Unless he is absolutely stellar, and or someone ahead of him is hurt, I don't think he will earn that #1 spot this season.

if either robinson or wegher gets more carries than the other, i honestly feel it will be wegher who gets the nod. i really have no reason to back this statement up other than he was hurt most of last year and i don't think we ever saw him at 100%

I think the coaches will use the trio to full effect. I think Ferentz has already mentioned rotating the three. If it hasn't happened already, Hampton is all but certain to be suspended for EIU due to his recent shenanigans. Robinson and Wegher will start the season as #1 and #2, and Hampton will have to blow things up (on the field, Jewel, don't get any more bad ideas...) to get to #1.

We've been stung by RB injuries too often to let any one of the three go to waste. If one guy gets a papercut, Kirk will go ahead and put the "next man in." I'll bet they're thinking about wearing down defenses in the second half and putting in "fresh legs" in the fourth quarter.

I think percentage of carries is a good way to try to think about this question:
(look for Rick to tuck the ball and scramble more often this year as part of his efforts to reduce INTs)

I do not think rotating 3 guys at the RB position will happen. Maybe it will for the first 3 games just to see who puts themselves as the top two but if you try to do a 3 RB rotation I just don't see that being very smart. Sometimes it takes guys to get into a rhythm to get going. Having to play 1 possession then sit out two more tell you get the ball again won't let anyone have a chance of getting into that rhythm.

My prediction is:

Hampton 45%
Robinson 40%
Wegher 15%

Iowa has a great problem right now, CloneAddict...3 really good backs so they don't have to burn anyone out over the course of the season and with Wegher, flexibility in what they can do with these guys. I agree with you about Wegher, I think he'll be a special one as well...it just may not solely be about his carries out of the backfield.

look for Rick to tuck( the ball and scramble more often this year as part of his efforts to reduce INTs)

Not so much running the ball, but getting him out on the move throwing the football which he is very good at. Throwing with his body and against his body. Especially if it takes a while for the O-line to gel.

Hopefully, the academic rumors are not true......But you will see Wegher in the slot more and catching passes out of the backfield. Coming in on lot package type deals.

Myself I prefer the 230 + lbs back, running down hill in this offense, since none of these guys are that type of guy, look for Robinson/Hampton splitting up about 70% of carries and wegher being the change of pace back.

Patrick Webb made a great point about the backs, Wegher/Robinson ran with caution last year because they did not want to fumble the football. Look for both guys to run more with reckless abandon now that they have experience under their belt.

[/B]

Not so much running the ball, but getting him out on the move throwing the football which he is very good at. Throwing with his body and against his body. Especially if it takes a while for the O-line to gel.

Hopefully, the academic rumors are not true......But you will see Wegher in the slot more and catching passes out of the backfield. Coming in on lot package type deals.

Myself I prefer the 230 + lbs back, running down hill in this offense, since none of these guys are that type of guy, look for Robinson/Hampton splitting up about 70% of carries and wegher being the change of pace back.

Patrick Webb made a great point about the backs, Wegher/Robinson ran with caution last year because they did not want to fumble the football. Look for both guys to run more with reckless abandon now that they have experience under their belt.

lol, no offense, but you just said robinson and hampton get 35% each, and wegher gets 30%. just sayin, lol

lol, no offense, but you just said robinson and hampton get 35% each, and wegher gets 30%. just sayin, lol

All this rain we are getting must be screwing with my brain? Your point? Is the math wrong? Maybe what I posted and what I was thinking did not come out the way I wanted. Will be happy to clarify.:eek:

Will we see two of the backs in the game at the same time? I think they will be very creative with Wegher.

Didn't Ferentz already say there were no suprises academically?

All this rain we are getting must be screwing with my brain? Your point? Is the math wrong? Maybe what I posted and what I was thinking did not come out the way I wanted. Will be happy to clarify.:eek:

no, you just made it sound like wegher would be used in different places and not so much at running back, but you still have him getting 30% or so of the carries. just found it comical, haha

Hey guys ISU fan here. Don't hate me or anything I'm not going to troll around or post anyhting stupid, I was just checking out the site and it was pretty much identical to CF. Who do you guys think your starting RB will be next year? I followed Wegher through high school and really think he will be special for you guys in the future.

HN contributor Patrick Webb had a nice breakdown of the running backs:

Position Battle: Tailbacks | Hawkeye Nation

The rotation will be worked out on the field. The best back with the best lowest fumbles will get the majority of carries until he's injured. Then you have 3 capable backups and that doesn't even count Coker. Bottom line will be the OL's ability to gel early and create the necessary holes for these guys. My gut is Robinson will have the early edge with Hampton competing for the starting spot after his suspension clears. Wegher will be used in a slot situation plenty. I expect Iowa to try to cause confusion by having two backs in the lineup at the same time and changing formations, using Wehger in multiple ways. With that receiving core, Ohhhh,the possibilities!
Actually, I'm sure O'keefe will dumb it down and go I-formation 90% of the time.

Will we see two of the backs in the game at the same time? I think they will be very creative with Wegher.

Didn't Ferentz already say there were no suprises academically?

Well not to be a Debbie Downer, but it's possible that Wegher flunking classes this spring wasn't a surprise to Ferentz. I don't think that's the case, just playing devil's advocate.

Latest posts