Rudock looks like the real deal

hawkfarmer

Rudock looks like the best pure passing QB we will have had since Tate (JVB probably is even better, but every pass I see him make is on a line, with little touch- holding out judgement for a few years).

However, I think Rudock is going to be a good one, and I don't see him only having one year of starting behind Derby, so I think Derby is moving somewhere else, and Rudock will redshirt and follow JVB as a three year starter.

That's been my impression also. That gives us 5 pretty solid years at QB. I'm not sure where Derby fits in. I don't think he wants to be a backup. Iowa has never used a 2 QB system with a pure passer and another who's a run threat. Derby's a great kid but doesn't have the speed of Nebraska's Martinez. He should be allowed to compete for the spot and if he's beat out he'll change positions or transfer.

I highly doubt Derby will be taking snaps under center in August next year. My guess is he changes positions this winter. LB or TE.

Position battles figure themselves out. McNutt was a QB for 2 years, and then switched. If Derby isn't going to see the field as a QB, I'm sure he will move positions. If he wins the QB spot, I think that also bodes well for us, as he will have beaten out good competition.

I highly doubt Derby will be taking snaps under center in August next year. My guess is he changes positions this winter. LB or TE.

I'm thinking LB. With his size and athleticism he'd be perfect in that spot. I still think CJF, Vier and the incoming TE candidates could make it tough for him to break in at the TE position.

Jon, do you have any inclination that he would pick one position over the other (was he QB/LB at City)? IF (note the stress here) CJF matures as expected and our incoming TE recruits pan out also it seems like LB might be a better bet for him... that or we'll be well stacked at TE.

Seems to me that there would be immediate playing time available as LB behind Nielson who would be a SR next year. That would give Derby a year to learn the position/ play ST/ hit people and then the following year he'd have a great shot at starting. It'd provide some nice depth as well.

We have a gaping hole at the WILL spot and not much at LEO behind Nielson. Hunter and Tillson are on the 2-deeps at the WILL and both are leaving. I think Kirksey is working at WILL, but he is small right now. Derby would have that Greenway/Hunter frame and would seem to project well there athletically. Morris seems to be the MLB of the future. But other than that, those other two LB spots are going to be up for grabs in the next few years. We need to find 2 starting LB's out of Getz, Dibona, Poggi, and Kirksey. I think Derby could compete there.

Latest posts