Roy Williams Retiring

Anyone else suspicious or is it just me?
Not just you. Duke, Kentucky, UNC all struggling since FBI probe. Now Roy retiring. When guys like Cal and K have to actually recruit instead of having highly paid recruits fall in your lap, it's tough. Didn't want to live like the little guys. I wish we'd cheat. All of the coaches have been investigated for various allegations. I'm on board. Cheat us to a championship and bring down the banner in 5 years. Anyone remember Louisville's vacated title? The Fab 5's vacated wins? I'll take that excitement and pay the price that will land on the back page later. I teach my students and athletes this all of the time. Do whatever you can to succeed. Win at all costs. Cheaters never lose and losers cheat. Nice guys finish last.

I'm sure the Tar Heel faithful will have Williams on a pedestal but I lost all respect for him after some of his former players sued the university for failing to prepare them for life when basketball didn't work out. They pointed out that the University of N Carolina had a course just for basketball players that didn't exist and was an easy A. The NCAA went after them and UNC sued saying it was none of the NCAA's business. After fighting it in the courts for a few years the NCAA dropped the case, which I never understood.

Coach Williams denied any knowledge of the non-existent course, does anyone really believe that? I don't.

Not just you. Duke, Kentucky, UNC all struggling since FBI probe. Now Roy retiring. When guys like Cal and K have to actually recruit instead of having highly paid recruits fall in your lap, it's tough. Didn't want to live like the little guys. I wish we'd cheat. All of the coaches have been investigated for various allegations. I'm on board. Cheat us to a championship and bring down the banner in 5 years. Anyone remember Louisville's vacated title? The Fab 5's vacated wins? I'll take that excitement and pay the price that will land on the back page later. I teach my students and athletes this all of the time. Do whatever you can to succeed. Win at all costs. Cheaters never lose and losers cheat. Nice guys finish last.

I don't know if the struggles are based on the FBI probe or not. I think the biggest issues that hurt them this year were the fact that the elite programs are impacted greatly by top rated Freshman and one and done's. WIth the impact Covid had on the sport those Freshman didn't get the summer workouts they are accustomed to and basically got dropped right into competition with very little preseason and time to adjust. I think that's also why the teams at the other end of the spectrum were on the climb as they had players that were already familar with that level of competition and as veterans weren't shell shocked or impacted once the season started. Much easier to get back into the swing of things and shake the rust off then to figure things out entirely on the fly.

I'm sure the Tar Heel faithful will have Williams on a pedestal but I lost all respect for him after some of his former players sued the university for failing to prepare them for life when basketball didn't work out. They pointed out that the University of N Carolina had a course just for basketball players that didn't exist and was an easy A. The NCAA went after them and UNC sued saying it was none of the NCAA's business. After fighting it in the courts for a few years the NCAA dropped the case, which I never understood.

Coach Williams denied any knowledge of the non-existent course, does anyone really believe that? I don't.

While I agree that something like that should never have happened, I blame the athletes every bit as much as I do the school. They had absolutely no issues with this class (or any others) when they were coasting through school focusing on nothing more than athletics, but the moment real life catches up with them they're quick to point the finger. If these geniuses didn't realize these BS classes were not doing them any favors and only became an issue when they left school and didn't make the millions they expected, well then that's on them. Don't feel bad for them or the University.

I'm wondering if the pressure go to be too much. He left Kansas with a mess after he moved on. Seems odd that he left now that UNC is back in position to win again. That was a big time recruiting class they landed last year, another 2 studs for this year, and another potentially star studded class in 2022.

Sure, perhaps it's his age and I can't imagine the amount of pressure he feels after the last 2 seasons. If you think our fan base is bad the Tar Heel nation is 20 times worse. But I can't help but wonder what crap will come out now that he's retired.

The business of college basketball at the premier level has changed a lot in the last 30+ years. Paying players has happened for a long time, and I am sure Roy has benefitted from it like all the other blue bloods. What has changed the landscape for guys like Roy is 1 and done and the transfer portal. The generation of players coming through now has no patience, want gratification immediately, and cannot deal with someone dressing them down. They were given participation trophies as kids, and coddled as young adults. That does not mesh well with RW.

I think Roy can still teach and coach, and I do not believe the game has passed him by, but the business of the game is not what he is. I respect him for getting out when he knew he could no longer do what was needed.

Glad he is gone. The SOB poached some real program changers from the State of Iowa. Imagine the difference those players would have made in Hawkeye history. I'd have rather seen them stay in Iowa and play for the clones than for "good ol Roy".