Rodney Coe: Offense or Defense?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I am writing my thoughts on Coe in a Commit Capsule for later tonight...

I just keep coming back to Jonathon Babineaux and Christian Ballard when I think of Coe..I will expand on that later...but if I had to wager, I would choose he will wind up on defense at some point...

i think that he will end up on defense too, but boy what a bruiser he could be between the tackles. could he be another option like brad rogers? i like his abilities both ways, but he would get used earlier on defense.

I think he's going to be more valuable on defence. I think this could be a situation where we got him, cause he was told he could play RB here. And if he gets the backup role I think he stays at RB, but if Mccall, canzari, or johnson emerge as the backup he goes to defence. I personally hope he stays at RB.

I just keep coming back to Jonathon Babineaux and Christian Ballard when I think of Coe..I will expand on that later...but if I had to wager, I would choose he will wind up on defense at some point...

If I was the coach, I would use Coe as a RB on one drive a game and also play him as a linebacker the rest of the game. That way he could be used as a full time RB if the need arises. If he out grows the RB slot he can fail back as a linebacker and play immediately.

I really hope he ends up as a DE. That would be unreal. As long as we stay healthy, Coker, McCall, Canzeri, Johnson and whoever we bring in next year can carry the load.

Watching his video my first thought was defense too..He didn't seem to have that burst of a good back (unless they put him at FB..we could have our version of Bettis and Watters?)..

I think he starts at runningback but wouldn't be shocked to see him move. I don't think Iowa has enough depth at runningback for him to switch before next year and who knows, maybe he runs for over 1,000 yards and hte coaches decide to keep him there.

The only issue with him staying at runningback is if he can keep his weight at around 250. If he can't, he'll have to move to defense.

He is just so tall. Even though he is big, it's going to be hard for him get behind pads. I'd imagine he will go down fairly easy as everyone will just hit in the legs. and with his height and running style there is a lot of leg to hit.

Eddie George and Marcus Allen were tall backs...I say give him a chance. It's not like he doesn't have 8,978 options to chose from if RB doesn't work out.

I'm guessing many had Ron Dayne ticketed for anything but RB, which is why he ended up at Wisconsin. And now is part of the reason Wiscy has a tradition of RBs. Granted, it mat not be like USC and their reputation as Tailback, but it ain't bad.

I'm not much for vids, but this dudes got some serious hands. If we weren't loaded for bear at TE...................

I sometimes wonder "what if" with Damian Sims and had he given in to CB. However he got bit by the RB bug so I can't blame him. Marcus Allen and Marshal Faulk had that same affliction and look where they're at.

Wherever he plays I hope his heart, mind and soul are all in.

I would love to see him at either OLB spot. He has size and agility already to be a monster at that spot without needing to add the 15-20 lbs most high school players need to add to play that position.

I see your original question has drawn two types of responses: where we think Coe is going to play and where we hope he is going to play.

Where I think he is going to end up is linebacker or DE, and that's just a hunch based on how big he is even now.

Where I hope Iowa uses him is in a single set running back/full back/H back role in a similar way Iowa used Jeremy Allen but has not used anyone really since (Champ Davis a little bit?). A back you can put next to a quarterback in shotgun on third down and he can handle a blitz or take a shovel pass, draw or screen. In other words, someone back there that won't let the defense relax and think "There's no way they'll throw it to him, he's just a fullback."

He is a DE, all the way. Think Matt Roth.

Latest posts