Ricky vs. James

wardog23

I want to start out saying I know Vandy has had about 7 starts under his belt, but he is missing something that Ricky could do.

That is touch and pocket presence on the football field. Ricky had touch and pocket presence, sometimes to much so as he always seemed to trust his line to much and take the sack at the wrong time, but he went through progressions all the time.

Vandy seems to hurry his progressions and panic a lot sooner with a blitz coming.

I want to start out saying I know Vandy has had about 7 starts under his belt, but he is missing something that Ricky could do.

That is touch and pocket presence on the football field. Ricky had touch and pocket presence, sometimes to much so as he always seemed to trust his line to much and take the sack at the wrong time, but he went through progressions all the time.

Vandy seems to hurry his progressions and panic a lot sooner with a blitz coming.

He just needs the experience. Many of the mistakes he is making are very similar to the mistakes Rick made in 2008. Throwing into traffic, mis-timing, etc. It will get straightened out.

Ricky also had that look like, "Okay this next play will work." James often looks like, "The sky is falling!"

They really need to take some shots of his face on the sidelines and show him what he looks like when he does that. Really doesn't indicate leadership.

He gets happy feet and checks down to Coker way too much in my opinion.

Ricky checked down too in his last year. The difference is between having a stout center of the Oline and what has been the case after Mac went down.

With an undersized center you need to have really strong guards. Iowa has not had that since Mac went down.

Ricky 3-4 first 7 starts. James 4-3.
Ricky had a great defense and Shonn Greene. James has Coker and a young and inexperienced defense. Ricky was incredibly reckless with the ball considering all the talent around him. James is expected to make plays and has done so at a more efficient pace so far.

Last edited:
In my opinion, vandy has better escapability and speed than Ricky and we would benefit from having him run a draw every now and then. Only thing is our backups are not the best. The thing Vandy needs work on is his touch, he likes to gun the ball to his guys and I think that is what leads to his accuracy problems and makes it way to hard for the recievers to hang onto the ball. I agree he needs to relax a little but it can't be the easiest thing to do when your oline is letting defenders into the backfield on a regular basis

Ricky also had that look like, "Okay this next play will work." James often looks like, "The sky is falling!"

They really need to take some shots of his face on the sidelines and show him what he looks like when he does that. Really doesn't indicate leadership.

That is what, for me, sets Rick Stanzi apart from most other QBs in my Hawkeye "history". He never seemed to act like ANY game was lost. Most telling is that, after 2007, the Hawks never lost by more than 7 points. He certainly had losses as a starter, but he was extremely competitive, and thus was the team, in every game he started.

******** - the choice isn't INT or happy/feet checkdown. He needs to hang in the pocket and deliver the deep ball. It's called pocket presence and his isn't very good.

As far as record - Rickys 3-4 was against who? JVB has beaten Minn/TT/ULM - not exactly the cream of the crop.

******** - the choice isn't INT or happy/feet checkdown. He needs to hang in the pocket and deliver the deep ball. It's called pocket presence and his isn't very good.

As far as record - Rickys 3-4 was against who? JVB has beaten Minn/TT/ULM - not exactly the cream of the crop.

Vandy has also beaten Pitt. And don't forget, Stanzi had the benefit of having Shonn Greene, and arguably the best defense since 1981 on his side. Vandy has neither.

Ricky checked down too in his last year. The difference is between having a stout center of the Oline and what has been the case after Mac went down.

With an undersized center you need to have really strong guards. Iowa has not had that since Mac went down.

All stories would indicate he is a very good leader and well respected. You make it sound like he is Drew Tate-esque with his on field demeanor. Of which I had no trouble with. I haven't seen any of this from JV???

I am also guessing that over-all JV will have a better junior season statistically than did Stanzi!

For the record, Ricky Stanzi's first seven starts were FIU, ISU, NW, MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Iowa was 4-3 in Stanzi's first seven starts.

JV seems to struggle throwing into the middle of the field over the linebacker and between the safety on two deep coverage. I noticed that at the ULM game they never challenged the middle of the field deep and that most of routes he hit big were on single coverage on the sidelines. I'm not for sure if it is a problem or not but when I was at the MN game in 09 the play calling also seemed to avoid attacking the middle of the zone defense being played by the goofers.

As for Saturdays game most of his passes were tipped or misfires in the middle of the zone, and if you think good defensive coordinators aren't going to see that and force him to make plays in that area we are all kidding ourselves.

Go Hawks, hope my trip to Kinnick this Saturday changes my mind.

JV seems to struggle throwing into the middle of the field over the linebacker and between the safety on two deep coverage. I noticed that at the ULM game they never challenged the middle of the field deep and that most of routes he hit big were on single coverage on the sidelines. I'm not for sure if it is a problem or not but when I was at the MN game in 09 the play calling also seemed to avoid attacking the middle of the zone defense being played by the goofers.

As for Saturdays game most of his passes were tipped or misfires in the middle of the zone, and if you think good defensive coordinators aren't going to see that and force him to make plays in that area we are all kidding ourselves.

Go Hawks, hope my trip to Kinnick this Saturday changes my mind.

Iowa has always, for the most part, stayed away from attacking the middle of the field under KF.

Latest posts