Rick Reilly on LSU v. Bama rematch

hawkfarmer

Rick Reilly - No rematch for BCS title game - ESPN

This is a pretty good article on why LSU v. Bama is dumb and exactly the opposite of what the BCS stands for. (Every game matters)

Only one issue is he suggests the LSU v. Stanford. Early he complains that Bama could be national champs without winning their conference. If LSU v. Stanford went down Stanford could be national champs without winning their conference as well. Oh well, that is being nit picky.

Rick Reilly - No rematch for BCS title game - ESPN

This is a pretty good article on why LSU v. Bama is dumb and exactly the opposite of what the BCS stands for. (Every game matters)

Only one issue is he suggests the LSU v. Stanford. Early he complains that Bama could be national champs without winning their conference. If LSU v. Stanford went down Stanford could be national champs without winning their conference as well. Oh well, that is being nit picky.
Imagine if Georgia beats LSU. Then it's very possible that we will have two teams in the game that did not win their conf championship.

One interesting thing about the article is that one of his key points is actually an argument against an 8-team playoff. From the article:

"Of course, if Alabama wins Walking Dead II, the Tide will be … what? National champions? How? They'll have one loss, same as all the other contenders. They'll have split the home-and-home series with LSU."

Under a playoff, this type of situation could easily happen.

Every game *does* matter. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Stanford, Wisconsin, Oregon, and every other team lost to teams that weren't as good as LSU, so they're as much to blame for Alabama playing in the title game as Alabama is.

Who has Alabama beat this year? I know they have a really good LOSS. But who are their good WINS?

Who has Alabama beat this year? I know they have a really good LOSS. But who are their good WINS?
Arkansas and PSU (on the road) are pretty good wins. I think that compares well with OSU's wins against KSU and Baylor. The difference is that OSU has one really, really bad loss.

Arkansas and PSU (on the road) are pretty good wins. I think that compares well with OSU's wins against KSU and Baylor. The difference is that OSU has one really, really bad loss.

Arkansas beat #8 Arkansas and #21 Penn State (going off BCS standings)

If Oklahoma State wins on Saturday they will have beaten #10 Oklahoma, #11 Kansas State, #17 Baylor, #22 Texas, and #25 Missouri

2 top 25 wins to 5. Bama also lost at home and won't win their own conference. OSU, while a worse loss, will have won their conference and had better wins

I would have liked to see Boise State play for the title this year. It seems as if this would have been the year for them to play in the title game. Unfortunately, their kicking game screwed them over for the second straight season.

I would have liked to see Boise State play for the title this year. It seems as if this would have been the year for them to play in the title game. Unfortunately, their kicking game screwed them over for the second straight season.

Kicking games are an important part of a football team. Boise is still minor-league, apparently.

I think of it very simply; why does LSU have to beat a team TWICE to win a national championship while Alabama only has to go 1-1?

Technically speaking, if AL wins, they should have to play one more time to determine the overall champion.

I think of it very simply; why does LSU have to beat a team TWICE to win a national championship while Alabama only has to go 1-1?
What if there was an 8-team playoff and LSU and Alabama met in the finals? Would Alabama have to win the final playoff game twice?

Arkansas is a fraud, they barely beat a crappy Texas A&M team and got blown out by the only two good teams they played. They beat SC without Lattimore and Garcia. They were only ranked third because they were in the SEC.

Latest posts