rick is awesome

After my first post I did a little thinking on this.

Statistics are somewhat fluid. Team style, wrs, running game, O-line all play a role. As previously mentioned those things along with the the defense also play a role in the wins and losses.

So for the sake of argument throw all that stuff out and look at defining molments. Rick has played big at key times in big molments. The drive vs PSU in 2008, Rick steped up and was money, the drive vs MSU last week...money.

I admit he has had his down molments but when the game has been on the line and placed firmly in the hands of the offense, Stanzi has stepped up and defined himself. I hope that continues, I have confidence in him.

I guess it boils down to how do you define a great/good/average qb?

After my first post I did a little thinking on this.

Statistics are somewhat fluid. Team style, wrs, running game, O-line all play a role. As previously mentioned those things along with the the defense also play a role in the wins and losses.

So for the sake of argument throw all that stuff out and look at defining molments. Rick has played big at key times in big molments. The drive vs PSU in 2008, Rick steped up and was money, the drive vs MSU last week...money.

I admit he has had his down molments but when the game has been on the line and placed firmly in the hands of the offense, Stanzi has stepped up and defined himself. I hope that continues, I have confidence in him.

I guess it boils down to how do you define a great/good/average qb?

Big moments don't last as long as they used to....game winning TD's or drives are easily forgotten just like a game winning field goal kicker fades into obscurity after a few games...

Stats are subjective. And so is rating a QB.

The team has done a remarkable job this season. All players on the team deserve credit for that, the QB included.

I don't think you can compare QB stats within different systems. Compare Iowa QB to Texas Tech QB and almost every year Texas Tech QB system will win for stats. Our system is to run the ball with the exception of 2004. I believe that it comes down to the wins/losses for a quarterback. Earlier you might be able to argue that Stanzi was only winning because of the defense, but I think he proved himself with last Saturday's drive. Stanzi is one of the better QB's in the nation.

You have a valid point regarding comparing stats within different systems. Clearly the system Iowa runs does not favor QB stats. But, I don't think it then comes down to win/losses. It means Ricky's contributions (while great and key in the success of the team) are not as vital to the success of the team than a pass heavy team like Texas Tech. A fair hypothetical question would then be "What would Ricky's stats look like if he was the QB at Texas Tech?"

As for your last sentence, the final drive against MSU is certainly one of Ricky's shining moments. It was (for me) the first time I saw Ricky put this team on his shoulders and carry them to victory. But one drive does not make a person an elite QB.

Big moments don't last as long as they used to....game winning TD's or drives are easily forgotten just like a game winning field goal kicker fades into obscurity after a few games...

Big molments last forever.

Long Bootleg, Houghtlin kick, Cook 4th and forever at the shoe, Tate to Holloway..

Ya for your team, but the majority of the nation would be like, "who or what are you talking about sir?"...

They showed Houtlins kick before the Mich game, they showed Murrays kick and Stanzis drive before the PSU game,they will show Cooks catch before the OSU game....

Big Games ... Big Stage.... Big Stanzi

They showed Houtlins kick before the Mich game, they showed Murrays kick and Stanzis drive before the PSU game,they will show Cooks catch before the OSU game....

Big Games ... Big Stage.... Big Stanzi

Why do you think they show it? Because they are pandering to the fans of that team...im sure they showed an alternate big play by Mich., PSU, and will for OSU as well...no one else cares

Why do you think they show it? Because they are pandering to the fans of that team...im sure they showed an alternate big play by Mich., PSU, and will for OSU as well...no one else cares

That argument could be used for anything any player of any team ever does.....ever.
My point is/ was and will remain .... define a great what makes a great qb great?

Texas Tech qb numbers?
Heisman Trophies and awards?
Team victories?
or
When the game is on the line and the pressure is on he is at his best and delivers?

What else could you ask for? Seriously? What else is there?

That argument could be used for anything any player of any team ever does.....ever.
My point is/ was and will remain .... define a great what makes a great qb great?

Texas Tech qb numbers?
Heisman Trophies and awards?
Team victories?
or
When the game is on the line and the pressure is on he is at his best and delivers?

What else could you ask for? Seriously? What else is there?

You just defined it, put all of those things together, except team victories not so much as team championships, whether that be conference, bowl or national championships

You just defined it, put all of those things together, except team victories not so much as team championships, whether that be conference, bowl or national championships

I think we need to agree to disagree on the gaudy numbers and awards part of it, and somewhat on the wins and losses portion too. A QB is a leader and a leader leads whether it's handing off to his all world running back until they shut him down, calming the team down in the huddle or taking his team downfield in 90 seconds for a score.

All anybody has to do is watch Ricky on the last drive VS MSU. Brilliant clock management, some excellent passing and an unbelievable finish. The guy looked as cool as a cucumber, too. I'll take it.

Latest posts