Retired Jersey Numbers?

While watching #16 James Vandenberg and #25 Mika'il McCall (all too briefly) on Saturday I was thinking to myself, why aren't these jersey numbers retired? #16 of course being Chuck Long's number (Heisman runner-up) while #25 was worn by Randy Duncan who quarterbacked Iowa's mythical national championship team of 1958 and was a Heisman runner-up. Should Iowa retire jersey numbers as way of adding to it's football tradition? Why or why not? If that's something you feel should be done, who might those players be in addition to Nile Kinnick? How about Alex Karras #77 (Outland Trophy winner) or maybe Larry Station #31? Both had great careers culminating in their enshrinement in the College Football Hall of Fame. Many might argue that Robert Gallery #78 (Outland Trophy winner) is the greatest offensive lineman is Iowa history and worthy of such an honor someday. Or how about Nate Kaeding #97 (Groza award winner) who is Iowa's greatest kicker of all time. Should his jersey be retired when his playing days are over? What are your thoughts. GO HAWKS!

While watching #16 James Vandenberg and #25 Mika'il McCall (all too briefly) on Saturday I was thinking to myself, why aren't these jersey numbers retired? #16 of course being Chuck Long's number (Heisman runner-up) while #25 was worn by Randy Duncan who quarterbacked Iowa's mythical national championship team of 1958 and was a Heisman runner-up. Should Iowa retire jersey numbers as way of adding to it's football tradition? Why or why not? If that's something you feel should be done, who might those players be in addition to Nile Kinnick? How about Alex Karras #77 (Outland Trophy winner) or maybe Larry Station #31? Both had great careers culminating in their enshrinement in the College Football Hall of Fame. Many might argue that Robert Gallery #78 (Outland Trophy winner) is the greatest offensive lineman is Iowa history and worthy of such an honor someday. Or how about Nate Kaeding #97 (Groza award winner) who is Iowa's greatest kicker of all time. Should his jersey be retired when his playing days are over? What are your thoughts. GO HAWKS!

There are 85 scholarship players on the roster, and about 100 on the team, what happens if you retire all the numbers of great players? You going to make three players share a number or start putting letters behind kid's numbers. #95 and #95a.
I know they are all great players but how do you define who's number gets retired and whose doesn't

Also, Kaeding was #95.

Last edited:
While watching #16 James Vandenberg and #25 Mika'il McCall (all too briefly) on Saturday I was thinking to myself, why aren't these jersey numbers retired? #16 of course being Chuck Long's number (Heisman runner-up) while #25 was worn by Randy Duncan who quarterbacked Iowa's mythical national championship team of 1958 and was a Heisman runner-up. Should Iowa retire jersey numbers as way of adding to it's football tradition? Why or why not? If that's something you feel should be done, who might those players be in addition to Nile Kinnick and #62 Calvin Jones? How about Alex Karras #77 (Outland Trophy winner) or maybe Larry Station #31? Both had great careers culminating in their enshrinement in the College Football Hall of Fame. Many might argue that Robert Gallery #78 (Outland Trophy winner) is the greatest offensive lineman is Iowa history and worthy of such an honor someday. Or how about Nate Kaeding #97 (Groza award winner) who is Iowa's greatest kicker of all time. Should his jersey be retired when his playing days are over? What are your thoughts. GO HAWKS!

Both Kinnick and Jones died shortly after their Hawkeye careers, that's why their numbers are retired. I don't believe we should retire a number just because someone had a great career, then a case could be made for almost every jersey number. I wouldn't mind some sort of ring of honor, although the stadium layout doesn't lend itself to that.

Also, Station was 36, Harmon was 31

Latest posts