Remembering Ralph's Six Pack - Part III - Ecstasy and Agony

RobHowe

Administrator
3rd & final installment of Rick Brown's excellent series remembering Ralph's Six Pack on the 50th anniversary of 1 of the Hawkeyes' most memorable seasons.

If you missed the first 2 parts of the series, they're linked at the top of this final part:

LINK

3rd & final installment of Rick Brown's excellent series remembering Ralph's Six Pack on the 50th anniversary of 1 of the Hawkeyes' most memorable seasons.

If you missed the first 2 parts of the series, they're linked at the top of this final part:

LINK

Thanks for the article. I was 18 that year and saw one of their games in Iowa City and up to the 2nd Purdue game I had seen maybe one or two on TV as there was usually just one saturday game a week back then so it was an extra pleasure to watch them play. So that 2nd purdue game was special and televised I think on a weeknight as a specially produced game.

And just like Drake the year before, when I saw most of their games at Vets, that Iowa team had the whole state super glued to the tv. It was a nerve wracking game for sure and that comeback was amazing with no shot clock but both teams were uptempo and it was before Dean Smith's 4 corners offensive boredom.

I remember the thing that amazed me about Miller's teams was they could really fast break and so well that they could rebound a ball hit the first outlet pass almost to mid-court then one or two more quick passes with little to no dribbling for a basket. Amazing, and I had watched Miller's Wichita St teams play Drake at Vets a couple times and his Oregon St teams were both great. Hell of a coach and not sure why Iowa couldn't keep him around.

I also thought Vidnovic's thoughts that even if they lost to Purdue he was almost sure they would win the last two games in Iowa City. Well I think Glenn the Stick and Calabria were sophomores on Miller's 67-68 team that only had to beat an un-normally avg Mich team in the last game to win the Big 10 outright. But that Iowa team was sleepy that nite I remember from Zabel's and the Register's write up as they gave up a bunch of backdoor layups to lose something like 73-71. It was a terrible way for Sam Williams to almost end his career and worse when they lost the big one-game playoff against OSU a few days later. Williams was just so silky smooth.

Thanks for the article. I was 18 that year and saw one of their games in Iowa City and up to the 2nd Purdue game I had seen maybe one or two on TV as there was usually just one saturday game a week back then so it was an extra pleasure to watch them play. So that 2nd purdue game was special and televised I think on a weeknight as a specially produced game.

And just like Drake the year before, when I saw most of their games at Vets, that Iowa team had the whole state super glued to the tv. It was a nerve wracking game for sure and that comeback was amazing with no shot clock but both teams were uptempo and it was before Dean Smith's 4 corners offensive boredom.

I remember the thing that amazed me about Miller's teams was they could really fast break and so well that they could rebound a ball hit the first outlet pass almost to mid-court then one or two more quick passes with little to no dribbling for a basket. Amazing, and I had watched Miller's Wichita St teams play Drake at Vets a couple times and his Oregon St teams were both great. Hell of a coach and not sure why Iowa couldn't keep him around.

I also thought Vidnovic's thoughts that even if they lost to Purdue he was almost sure they would win the last two games in Iowa City. Well I think Glenn the Stick and Calabria were sophomores on Miller's 67-68 team that only had to beat an un-normally avg Mich team in the last game to win the Big 10 outright. But that Iowa team was sleepy that nite I remember from Zabel's and the Register's write up as they gave up a bunch of backdoor layups to lose something like 73-71. It was a terrible way for Sam Williams to almost end his career and worse when they lost the big one-game playoff against OSU a few days later. Williams was just so silky smooth.
Outlet passing has become a lost art. The best Iowa players I've seen at doing it are, in this order, Gerry Wright, Russ Millard, Ed Horton.

For Horton in particular, it was a tremendously underrated aspect of his game. Passing in general was an underrated aspect of his game.

Outlet passing has become a lost art. The best Iowa players I've seen at doing it are, in this order, Gerry Wright, Russ Millard, Ed Horton.

For Horton in particular, it was a tremendously underrated aspect of his game. Passing in general was an underrated aspect of his game.

Correct and some of the issue is the offensive teams crash the boards harder than 30-40 years ago so defensive teams keep some of their guards in by the basket to rebound rather than to let them run out to mid court. And I think you see much more pressure around the defensive rebounder when he gets the ball making it harder to get off that outlet pass.

Great observation - a subtle thing did Purdue did to Iowa - always guarded the initial Iowa outlet after they scored and forced Hawks to look to opposite side to inbound. Gains 2 steps for rest of the team and allows no easy transition hoops - a big part of most Hawk wins.

Great observation - a subtle thing did Purdue did to Iowa - always guarded the initial Iowa outlet after they scored and forced Hawks to look to opposite side to inbound. Gains 2 steps for rest of the team and allows no easy transition hoops - a big part of most Hawk wins.

Fran s teams are made of players that good at what they do but are limited in what the do. I hope we don't play Purdue again as they are well coach but as short as they are on talent, what they are good at Iowa can't handle.

Therefore unexplained random thumpings

Classic ... the paper airplane technical foul!

And, have things changed ... :)

Calabria presented Miller the game ball in the locker room. When Miller got off the team plane in Cedar Rapids that night, he held his briefcase in his left hand with the ball cradled in his left elbow. Over 4,000 fans greeted the team at the airport, and cars were backed up for two miles.

Latest posts