Recruits to potentially keep an eye on ....

homerHAWKeye777

Feel free to contribute your own impressions, however, the following are a number of pretty versatile football players who I could easily see as being "glue players" who could positively contribute to the 2011 recruiting class.

- Richard Rodgers (MA) 6-4/233/4.70 - A player from good bloodlines and who could easily project at TE or LEO LB. Furthermore, if he also has good growth potential, he could also potentially project at DE too.

- Allen Robinson (MI) 6-3/185 - A player from the football factory aknown as St Mary Preparatory School. He is an ATH who could potentially end up being like Shumpert, projecting at either DB or WR.

- Kendrick Roberts (MI) 6-3/180/4.40 - He is an ATH who could potentially end up being like Hyde, projecting at either DB or WR.

- Ben McCord (MI) 6-3/220 - A player who could project at TE or LEO LB. Furthermore, if he also has good growth potential, he could also potentially project at DE too.

I'm not high on McCord and do not think he'll get an offer. I do like Roberts and Robinson if Shepherd is to back out. A couple others worth watching:

Cortland Dunlap - LB - Hazelwood Central - according to his rivals.com profile ran an electronically timed 4.47 at 6'1" 201. As a junior, Dunlap was named first team all-state and defensive MVP in Missouri's Class 6

Jason Meehan - LB - Webster Groves - extremely productive. Named St. Louis Post Dispatch Defensive POY as a junior. Camped at Iowa

Jackson Robersts - OL - Webster Groves - camped at Iowa, recently received an Akron offer according to Chris Pool's twitter. 6'7" 290

Feel free to contribute your own impressions, however, the following are a number of pretty versatile football players who I could easily see as being "glue players" who could positively contribute to the 2011 recruiting class.

- Richard Rodgers (MA) 6-4/233/4.70 - A player from good bloodlines and who could easily project at TE or LEO LB. Furthermore, if he also has good growth potential, he could also potentially project at DE too.

- Allen Robinson (MI) 6-3/185 - A player from the football factory aknown as St Mary Preparatory School. He is an ATH who could potentially end up being like Shumpert, projecting at either DB or WR.

- Kendrick Roberts (MI) 6-3/180/4.40 - He is an ATH who could potentially end up being like Hyde, projecting at either DB or WR.

- Ben McCord (MI) 6-3/220 - A player who could project at TE or LEO LB. Furthermore, if he also has good growth potential, he could also potentially project at DE too.
Are we "in" on any of these guys Homer?

I haven't followed a lot of the recruiting and wasn't sure of the "bloodlines" you were referring to with Rodgers. I was think Matt, but realize this Rodgers' dad played for the Cal Bears. I found this little blurb on him and thought it was interesting:

Rodgers is an 1992 graduate of the University of California, where he was a two-time second team All Pacific-10 Conference selection from 1980-1984. He was the special teams captain for the Golden Bears for three seasons, and called "The Play" in the huddle to defeat Stanford in 1982. Rodgers was the second and fourth player to handle the ball on the famed five-lateral last play touchdown return. He also played professionally in both the Canadian Football League and the Arena Football League.

Our LB recruiting seems to have some momentum and we've subsequently seemed to exhaust much of our TE recruiting. Thus, I don't really anticipate that Iowa will offer McCord or Rodgers.

It is worth noting, however, that we've subsequently offered Roberts.

I'm 1 for 4 so far ... let's see if the ratio increases as we advance through the recruiting season.

Homer what do you think the deal is with mccord not getting an offer.

Mac -

The deal probably relates to how he projects to the D-side of the ball. I suspect that the coaches consider us now "full" at the TE spot. The only remaining spots available with that sort of body-type would be at DE, LB, and ATH. And, I really think that French is the only ATH that the coaches would be willing to take a risk on.

That then leaves the remaining question, how does McCord compare to the other LB/DE types we have offers out to. And, the answer there seems to be that we have guys higher up on our board at those spots.

For instance, here are guys who appear to be higher on our board (and I've removed guys who I think are longer shots):

LEO: Armonze Daniel, Armstead Williams, Christian French
ILB: Ejuan Price, Graham Stewart, Melvin Spears, Donald Smith
DE: Quinton Jefferson, Michael Amaefula, Armstead Williams, Armonze Daniel, Christian French

And, you have to remember that we'll probably only take on around 2 more LBs and 1 or 2 more DE-types.

Thus, McCord gets an offer if he shows great aptitude on D and if Iowa doesn't fill up at LB/DE first.

Last edited:

Latest posts