really cool we are 3 in AP & 4 in coaches BUT...

HawkeyeStout

Kansas ahead of us after getting blown out? And I heard an "Unnamed Coach" ranked Iowa at 14?! Do we really need to start a Social Media Campaign again like we did for football? Cuz I'm getting tired of having to "DEMAND RESPECT"

Kansas ahead of us after getting blown out? And I heard an "Unnamed Coach" ranked Iowa at 14?! Do we really need to start a Social Media Campaign again like we did for football? Cuz I'm getting tired of having to "DEMAND RESPECT"

No. Polls are fun for the fans, message boards and talking heads, but they don't matter. Just win.

I think being 3/4 is respect.

The kansas thing doesnt make much sense. Still, Iowa ranked in the top 5 was pipe dream 3 months ago.

Unlike football the polls in hoops are pretty much irrelevant all together. It's just a respect thing. The 2 things that matter are getting in the dance and how good of a seed can you get. Obviously there are winning the conference and the conference tourney are next. But the rankings are just a popularity contest that has no impact on the bigger picture

The kansas thing doesnt make much sense. Still, Iowa ranked in the top 5 was pipe dream 3 months ago.
Hell even right after the ISU game it was a pipe dream to crack the top 10. Gotta admit there's been a bit of a perfect storm. I think like 6 or 7 teams in the top 15 have lost at least a game or 2 the last 10 days. So far besides Iowa handling their business against a brutal start to the conference schedule and looking good doing it they've had help. I'm not complaining just wondering how did the stars all line up for us (so far) Between the football wrestling (they are always good) and basketball team now I'm wondering if there isn't some divine intervention going on. I'm in my mid 30s and remember the late 80s vaguely as a kid and think of those as the "glory days" Bout time I change that. I think we're right smack in the middle of it.

Realistically we climbed the rankings fairly quickly... Much due to having 4 really good wins against Purdue and Sparty but what 3 weeks ago we weren't ranked and now we're top 5??

no complaints here

The Hawks have shot up the polls pretty fast. They were unranked, what, 3-4 weeks ago? Seems they're getting respect.

Now if the national pundits all start dissing us, that's a different matter, but I can't say I've heard much of that. If any.

Let's not come off as a whiny fan base.

calm down fella, this team is getting nothing but respect

Unlike football the polls in hoops are pretty much irrelevant all together. It's just a respect thing. The 2 things that matter are getting in the dance and how good of a seed can you get. Obviously there are winning the conference and the conference tourney are next. But the rankings are just a popularity contest that has no impact on the bigger picture

That really depends on what you define as the bigger picture. Does it mean anything in terms of what this team will do the next time they step on the floor? No. Does it guarantee anything going forward on the floor? No. But does this kind of exposure do wonders to help recruiting for beyond this season? Abso-*******-lutely.

Rankings matter, just not necessarily in the way you're thinking.

That really depends on what you define as the bigger picture. Does it mean anything in terms of what this team will do the next time they step on the floor? No. Does it guarantee anything going forward on the floor? No. But does this kind of exposure do wonders to help recruiting for beyond this season? Abso-*******-lutely.

Rankings matter, just not necessarily in the way you're thinking.

Kinda but no kid is going "Iowa was 3rd instead of 4th last January. I'll go there instead."

That's partly because there are 68 teams in the tournament--where, theoretically, every team has a chance to win--and also because there are 30-some teams that are "guaranteed" a berth.

The CFP is all, "Emphasis placed on..." and "We slot the top 12 teams", etc. In addition, you pretty much know, BEFORE conference tourney time whether you need to win your tourney or how far you may need to advance in it. CFP? In just two seasons, strange things have happened.

And while media shouldn't be an influence, tell me Oklahoma didn't have a full-out Washington, D.C.-style LOBBY working on their behalf the second half of the season! In b-ball, they're really arguing about teams 60 through 75 (roughly) near the end of the season, plus MAYBE who should be getting a 1-seed.

Why can't we just be happy with being top 5. Who cares what one coach who ranked us at 14th thought, because truthfully whoever it was probably didn't even fill it out himself. There's no comparison IMO between the respect the basketball team is getting and what the football team got. I think we're getting the respect that we've earned up to this point. We're pegged by some to be a potential #1 seed at this time, not sure how much more respect we can get at a national level.

The way the media is talking about this team is the exact opposite of what we got during football season.

Side note: The complaining and whining in the fall did nothing for our fanbase. Let's not venture down that path again.

polls mean crap at this time of year. The only poll that matters is the one where there are four #1 seeds and it's called the NCAA tournament.

Seriously... you have way too much time on your hands.

Like said by others, polls are for us and media to discuss and debate. Remember the last time we were ranked this high? '88-'89. What I remember from than season is the 2nd round loss in the tournament, not that we were ranked #4 at one point. March is where it's at. Even if we lose a couple, that is fine. Especially this season. It's wide open.

Kinda but no kid is going "Iowa was 3rd instead of 4th last January. I'll go there instead."

Sure, but that's not what I was arguing. The difference between 3 and 4 is negligible. But the difference between 3/4 and unranked is enormous in the eyes of recruits, so to say rankings are meaningless in the big picture is pretty shortsighted.

I don't see UNC losing this week, they only play one game and its at home against 0-6 BC. Oklahoma is @LSU this weekend which could be a tricky game.

If Iowa wins out this week and Oklahoma loses, I think they're looking at #2, they should definitely jump Kansas in the coach's poll. Don't think they'd have enough to jump UNC, even though beating Maryland would be a huge win

UNC does play @Louisville next Monday, so there's potential for a loss.