Read the end of last season JVB Hawk Stock Report...

If that's the case Jon, re-system, then when KF does his yearly review he better take a long hard look at Greg Davis and pull the plug ASAP. Wouldn't hurt my feeling one bit, at this point I would embrace Brian Ferentz with open arms.

Other than JV struggling with the new system, his regression could really be a testament to just how awesome Marvin McNutt was. It is becoming more and more clear that losing McNutt was as monumental a loss as any one player in recent Hawkeye football history.

I will quote myself from another thread as I think it pertains to this.

I think most of the frustration is not because Vandy sucks. It is because he sucks when he should be so much better. He has shown things in the past that would lead people to believe he is a serviceable QB, yet he is out there getting happy feet, throwing bad balls, locking in on covered recievers, and missing wide open ones.

I think 99% of Vandy's problems are above the shoulder pads, so yeah, it is his fault.

Other than JV struggling with the new system, his regression could really be a testament to just how awesome Marvin McNutt was. It is becoming more and more clear that losing McNutt was as monumental a loss as any one player in recent Hawkeye football history.

I agree with some of that for sure...I have been screaming at the TV so many times this year when KD is in one on one on the outside, to audible to the fade...and he's barely done it. With McNutt, it was nearly automatic.

I don't care if HGF is football Jesus, I don't know how you could have watched the same games I did last year and think that Vandenberg was going to be one of the top passers in the country and a draft pick unless he dramatically improved from last year. I said it then and I say it now. Where in the world would we have been last year without McNutt?

His regression is not as dramatic as you would like to believe.

JVB was never a very good quarterback. He arguably never had a single great game. His fourth comeback against Pitt was a very good series of downs for him. If you actually watch the OSU 09' game, he wasn't as good as people want to remember and he actually helped lose the game in OT - although his TD throws to McNutt and the drop by Stross were certainly impressive throws. The point being that he hasn't regressed from a being very good QB to a bad quarterback as much as he has failed to live up to any of the unfounded expectations being set for him in the first place (and at the same time, getting worse). So many people touted his "excellent mechanics," claimed he had better this skills and more upside than Stanzi, etc., etc... At the end of the day, he just wasn't very good and never became very good.

Now that said, I'd be okay with him remaining the starter throughout the remainder of the season if it gives a chance to get a few more wins and actually go to a bowl. Putting in the backup could risk having the wheels fall off completely and actually having a negative impact going forward into next year. Would be nice to see next year's starter actually see the field this year though so that next year isn't the first time.

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all or JVB hater, just think that this is a fairly objective and accurate observation.

It unlike anything I have seen before in all my years of watching Iowa football & basketball. Can anyone come up with another starter who put up Top 10 Iowa all-time numbers at his position the prior year only to follow up it up with one of the worst years? Barring injury of course. It's unprecedented.

Is there anyway that JVB can even show a spark? 250 yds, 2 TDs and a win? I kind of expected that to be the norm this year. Really tough to swallow. One can't help feel bad for him. Not only for his sake, but for the Hawks sake, I really hope he can do something, anything in the coming 4 weeks to provide him the opportunity to have a decent send off on Senior Day. If he keeps this up, I am afraid of the reception that he could get on Senior Day and no player who has put the effort in for 5 years deserves that.

McNutt being responsible for any success JVB had? That is such an absurd thought.

Straight up, no one...NO ONE on this team understand the passing offense they're running.

Straight up, no one...NO ONE on this team understand the passing offense they're running.

While I didn't think it would be this bad, I had concerns after media day hearing the receivers talk about how much playground, freelancing there was in this scheme.

l get it that angle. But I don't think it is the system. JVB's problems are mental. No he is not dumb, he will probably be a fine doctor someday. He has a problem translating what he learns from his film preparation and practice time, and applying this information to game situations, IMO. Opponents have figured out to implement multiple blitz packages and blitz him early and often. JVB is then rendered ineffective. I think he is a practice stud that cannot get the game to "slow down" enough for him to be consistently effective.

Now, I don't think a new coordinator and a new system have helped him. However, I don't blame GD or his system for this. His system has produced numerous advantageous situations that have too many times turned into missed opportunities. I also think JVB's in game problems are mental and the qb coach will not be able to fix them (maybe a sports psychologist). Where I have a problem is Rudock/Sokol not given a series or two in games or the entire 4th Q against PSU...

I will quote myself from another thread as I think it pertains to this.

I'll paraphrase my response to this from the other thread.

This system places a premium on the things Vandy has never done particularly well: making sound decisions quickly, and accuracy on short/intermediate routes.

It's like expecting Peyton Manning to effectively run a read-option offense designed for RGIII.

I agree he is pressing, trying to hard...and I think it could be due to the change in system...which then brings up the obvious; Rudock's head is probably spinning even more?

I agree with some of that for sure...I have been screaming at the TV so many times this year when KD is in one on one on the outside, to audible to the fade...and he's barely done it. With McNutt, it was nearly automatic.

Perhapes i don't understand fully they new offensive philosophy. Wasn't 1 of the system changes that multiple plays are called in the huddle? Isn't that done to remove the audible? So if the fade isn't one of those plays is JVB allowed to check out of it. I didn't think he was, plus I thought that was one of his strengths.

A three or five step drop to a fade is in every high school playbook. It's one simple hand signal. Last year, Iowa used hand to helmet or hand to hip..some games one was live and one was a dummy, and then they'd switch it.

I agree he is pressing, trying to hard...and I think it could be due to the change in system...which then brings up the obvious; Rudock's head is probably spinning even more?

Maybe... maybe Rudock is better/thinks better in game situations. He would not be the first and would not be the last.

Or it's not, seriously Who knows? . Penn State was prime opportunity for Rudock to play. This is going to get really ugly for JVB if he doesn't start producing. I hope KF is ready for that..

It appears Iowa just hired the Lickliter of College Football Offensive Coordinators. :)

Latest posts