Rattler

Extremely doubtful. The QB from LSU? Much better chance.
Good point. I'm willing to bet that Nebby fans feel as though they have the pick of the litter pertaining to every QB in the portal. I can't help but feel sorry for whoever they land.

Are they just tossing the Freshman who played against Iowa aside? If I were him, I might be looking towards the transfer portal.
This lines up with what I was thinking. Eventually the teams that hit the portal hard every year will have to have trouble recruiting high schoolers. Who wants to go to a college out of high school when the coach will just recruit a transfer over top of you after a year?

This lines up with what I was thinking. Eventually the teams that hit the portal hard every year will have to have trouble recruiting high schoolers. Who wants to go to a college out of high school when the coach will just recruit a transfer over top of you after a year?
I generally like our approach to the Portal. It's not like Iowa would ever be in the running for the Justin Fields type transfers anyway. That being said, I have no idea why Iowa didn't bring in 1-2 offensive linemen after Kallenberger retired his playing career.

It would be wise to seek out a corner for next year as depth there is bound to be tested (Xavior Williams came one year early). Kicker, return man/WR, OT and C should at least be on the table for competition's sake.

Looking thru some Transfer Portal commitments - 85% of these are P5 going to G5, FCS, some G5 to DII, NAIA. Obvious players who want to play and maybe realize what their level is now.

Iowa (ZVV, CJones) looking at guys the other way; under recruited, showed they can play, maturity, want to see if they can play at highest level. Not a lot of these, but if Iowa signs a transfer these will be the types.

Not some scrambling QB......

Looking thru some Transfer Portal commitments - 85% of these are P5 going to G5, FCS, some G5 to DII, NAIA. Obvious players who want to play and maybe realize what their level is now.

Iowa (ZVV, CJones) looking at guys the other way; under recruited, showed they can play, maturity, want to see if they can play at highest level. Not a lot of these, but if Iowa signs a transfer these will be the types.

Not some scrambling QB......
Good points.

Nebbie got themselves a good OC, but why would a top shelf QB transfer want to go there? They have no proven weapons, the OL is shit, you will essentially be starting from scratch in a new offensive system, and OBTW, unless you scratch out 6 wins, your coach is getting fired. They will land someone just because of the possibility of PT at a high profile team, but the odds of it all coming together next season for Nebbie are incredibly long.

OBTW, unless you scratch out 6 wins, your coach is getting fired.
This was the most head-scratching part of the whole Scott Frost thing. You don't publicly set an ultimatum like that. What high level recruit is going to go there under the high likelihood that their entire coaching staff will be gone after a year? And how do you recruit future classes?

Guarantee you competing schools will be bringing that up in their own recruitment. Iowa included.

The Omaha World Herald is chasing details of the contract through a FOIA request. The contract says that his salary can go back up to 5 million per year (which is what it was supposed to be) if certain unspecified metrics are met. Allegedly, those metrics are written down somewhere, but Nebbie has not coughed that up yet. I doubt it is tied to wins and losses, and instead is amorphous (like demonstrate better coaching skills).

This whole deal is pretty simple: if Frost pulls a rabbit out of his ass and wins 6 games, Trev can restore his salary and keep him around. If not, he can fire him at less than half the buyout.

But, as Fry stated, how do you recruit players and coaches to that sky scrapper's ledge?

Nebbie got themselves a good OC, but why would a top shelf QB transfer want to go there? They have no proven weapons, the OL is shit, you will essentially be starting from scratch in a new offensive system, and OBTW, unless you scratch out 6 wins, your coach is getting fired. They will land someone just because of the possibility of PT at a high profile team, but the odds of it all coming together next season for Nebbie are incredibly long.
Well put, but you forgot to mention the head coach that is willing to throw anyone and everyone under the bus to cover his ass. Then again if you were to ask any Nebby fan, I'm sure they didn't need him based on everyone else they their sites set on in the portal.

Add to that Nebbie just signed probably their worst recruiting class in modern history that BTN ranked 14 out of 14 in the conference. I get the logic of what Alberts did here, but it sure looks a lot more like a prayer than a plan.

As an avid Husker hater, I just keep making popcorn and following the news. :)

Latest posts