Rastetter is the Kingmaker Now

ChosenChildren

Mason is gone. Bruce Rastetter is the head of the Board of Regents. He is an Iowa grad and a huge football fan. He recently gave $5 million to the Iowa athletic department. He will have a big say in who the next U of I President is. Here are the issues:

1. Will he hire a President who views Iowa football differently than Mason did? More passionately? I believe he will.
2. If they hire a President who thinks Iowa football needs to be "fixed", what does that mean for Barta and/or Ferentz?

The next 9 months are going to be very interesting. Strap on your seat belt because it is going to be a bumpy ride

Well, given that SM is stepping down, it makes sense not to jump too quickly on a new HC. Start at the top and work down.

She won't be gone until Aug 1 which is far too close to the season to make a change that we want (HC). I refuse to believe kirk is a blind man, he's known he is not a fan favorite for a long time before his ridiculous PC yesterday.. now it looks like that was a plea to the incoming President to keep his sorry arse. Hopefully, like many on this board, it just enraged that person more.

On the other hand, before retiring Mason could do one of the few good things she's done here, and get rid of Barta with enough time for a new AD to give KF his walking papers or at least a firm ultimatum.. 9 wins or more with another easy schedule, win every game you're SUPPOSED to, beat ISU by the 3rd quarter, or you're history. I'd accept that.

She won't be gone until Aug 1 which is far too close to the season to make a change that we want (HC). I refuse to believe kirk is a blind man, he's known he is not a fan favorite for a long time before his ridiculous PC yesterday.. now it looks like that was a plea to the incoming President to keep his sorry arse. Hopefully, like many on this board, it just enraged that person more.

On the other hand, before retiring Mason could do one of the few good things she's done here, and get rid of Barta with enough time for a new AD to give KF his walking papers or at least a firm ultimatum.. 9 wins or more with another easy schedule, win every game you're SUPPOSED to, beat ISU by the 3rd quarter, or you're history. I'd accept that.

Do you think a lame duck Prs. is going to be fireing the AD ?

You are delusional if you think Iowa is a school that would issue an ultimatum for nine wins.

Gartner was/is a left-wing newspaper publisher that could have given a rats *** about football. At least Rastetter is self-made millionaire that has shown interest in Iowa football.

I don't know Gartner, but I can't imagine he could be worse than Rastetter.
Bruce is a huge Hawkeye fan. Gartner has shown indications that he despises the university of Iowa. Hospital expansion projects Gartner is pointed to as then hurdle that needs to be cleared. He is not a friend of the u of I.

Last edited:
Bruce is a huge Hawkeye fan. Gartner has shown indications that he despises the university of Iowa. Hospital expansion projects Gartner is pointed to as then hurdle that needs to be cleared. He is not a friend of the u of I. Gartner is also that bow tie wearing geek who grew up hating jocks and sports.

Certain people could care less who actually has the Iowa's best interest at heart. They'd rather see the (D) beside the name and a person actively opposing the U, rather than the (R) and the guy promoting and advancing the U.

She won't be gone until Aug 1 which is far too close to the season to make a change that we want (HC). I refuse to believe kirk is a blind man, he's known he is not a fan favorite for a long time before his ridiculous PC yesterday.. now it looks like that was a plea to the incoming President to keep his sorry arse. Hopefully, like many on this board, it just enraged that person more. On the other hand, before retiring Mason could do one of the few good things she's done here, and get rid of Barta with enough time for a new AD to give KF his walking papers or at least a firm ultimatum.. 9 wins or more with another easy schedule, win every game you're SUPPOSED to, beat ISU by the 3rd quarter, or you're history. I'd accept that.

Cool your jets buddy, this is going to take some time....

2015 - New President
2016/17 - New Athletic Director
2017/18 - New Football Coach

Gartner was/is a left-wing newspaper publisher that could have given a rats *** about football. At least Rastetter is self-made millionaire that has shown interest in Iowa football.

The moronic notion that one's politics have anything to do with his love for sports will never not be funny to me.

It would be interesting for these folks to analyze the voting patterns of american professional athletes ...

Certain people could care less who actually has the Iowa's best interest at heart. They'd rather see the (D) beside the name and a person actively opposing the U, rather than the (R) and the guy promoting and advancing the U.
I know I call it political bigotry. People simply cannot get past that political bigotry to see that we have a U of I graduate who is a huge Hawkeye fan that has donated millions of dollars to the football program and as even named his company Hawkeye energy holdings as president of the regents. I grew up in the same town as rastetter. He's not known as an a$$hole. But if he is I could care less because having a Hawkeye as president of the regents is a very good situation for us. There are lots of big donors who have that (R) next to their names. The Krause family plaza come to mind. I didn't know Gartner was a liberal and I don't care. He was an enemy to the U of I.

Mason is gone. Bruce Rastetter is the head of the Board of Regents. He is an Iowa grad and a huge football fan. He recently gave $5 million to the Iowa athletic department. He will have a big say in who the next U of I President is. Here are the issues:

1. Will he hire a President who views Iowa football differently than Mason did? More passionately? I believe he will.
2. If they hire a President who thinks Iowa football needs to be "fixed", what does that mean for Barta and/or Ferentz?

The next 9 months are going to be very interesting. Strap on your seat belt because it is going to be a bumpy ride

I want the next president to be someone with passion and enthusiasm for the University of Iowa and who will actively "sell" and promote the University both athletically and academically.

I want a president who understands success in athletics benefits the entire University, not just the athletic department.

Latest posts