Proud Dad Time

Motigerhawk

I really enjoy you all on this board and I wanted to share my daughters stats from their Christmas Tourney. She is a 6'1" senior.
1st game she had 19 points 15 rebounds and 4 blocks
2nd game 13 points 12 rebounds 2 blocks
3rd game 17 points 14 rebounds and 4 blocks. She was 15-18 from the FT line.

Sorry if this isnt the place to post it. But Im a proud Dad and wanted to share. She was named to the all tourney team. Unfortunately her team isnt that good and finished 7th. :)

I really enjoy you all on this board and I wanted to share my daughters stats from their Christmas Tourney. She is a 6'1" senior.
1st game she had 19 points 15 rebounds and 4 blocks
2nd game 13 points 12 rebounds 2 blocks
3rd game 17 points 14 rebounds and 4 blocks. She was 15-18 from the FT line.

Sorry if this isnt the place to post it. But Im a proud Dad and wanted to share. She was named to the all tourney team. Unfortunately her team isnt that good and finished 7th. :)
You should be proud. I'm sure she's a great student as well..our time as parents go very fast. Enjoy them and every minute you have.

Beast mode! I am also proud of my son (6’1.5”). 33 ACT and Validictorian in HS. On full ride at IA. Completed first semester at 4.0. Pre-med.

also a pretty good volleyball player. Unfortunately IA HS do not offer as a sport. Very tough to get action growing up. Some club stuff. But he loves the A-level volleyball intramurals at IA

Any other parents of Hawks out there?

Each of my kids has held the world record for the most time spent talking/singing really loudly while blocking my view of the TV during Iowa games. Other than that...

My kids are still little, so not much to share, but hope to see them grow into good people some day.
Dawg, they will as long as mom and dad lay down the law; what's right and what's wrong, keeping them involved in something. Not necessarily what you want, but what they show a passion for

My kids played, or are playing high school sports. I am proud of each of them for whatever they've accomplished. But my youngest, who is in ninth grade, has legit potential.

He broke the school long jump record-as an eighth grader- at 23'1". But it wasn't officially recognized because it occurred in Cedar Rapids in one of those all star meets and not in Wisconsin.

Not to worry. He has four years to reach the record in a Wisconsin meet. He is also transitioning away from the high jump and will be long jumping, and sprinting, full time this year.

Last edited:
My kids played, or are playing high school sports. I am proud of each of them for whatever they've accomplished. But my youngest, who is in ninth grade, has legit potential.

He broke the school long jump record-as an eighth grader- at 23'1". But it wasn't officially recognized because it occurred in Cedar Rapids in one of those all star meets and not in Wisconsin.

Not to worry. He has four years to reach the record in a Wisconsin meet.

I would say it won't take him long, damn 23' 1"

23'1" is awesome. And it will only get longer. Impressive.
He is 5 foot 10 and getting close to dunking.

Now if only he could shoot better. It's holding him back in JV ball. That and he needs to get stronger. And the varsity is undefeated with three juniors, two sophomores, and a freshman among the top eight players. It's blocking everything up. Practices are more competitive than most games.

He is 5 foot 10 and getting close to dunking.

Now if only he could shoot better. It's holding him back in JV ball. That and he needs to get stronger. And the varsity is undefeated with three juniors, two sophomores, and a freshman among the top eight players. It's blocking everything up. Practices are more competitive than most games.

Dang. Thats impressive. As we all know though, competition makes better teams.

Good luck to him. I would love to hear how he does in track. I have coached track and specifically the jumps, so I would love to hear how he progresses.

Good luck to him. I would love to hear how he does in track. I have coached track and specifically the jumps, so I would love to hear how he progresses.
I hope he gives up high jump and concentrates fully on long jump. His PR in high jump is 5 foot 9 but he would need to be in the 6'2, 6'4 range minimum to be effective in high school.

He's got good, not blazing speed for sprints, but makes up for it in the handoffs. He's also got good speed in the curve, which makes him a natural 200 meter guy.

I would say it won't take him long, damn 23' 1"
We will see. Long jump is unique in that everything can come together perfectly, one time, and you absolutely blow one out of the water. He PR'd by fifteen inches, which is a huge amount to PR, and would only occasionally hit 23 feet even in practice. It was a warm humid day with a tailwind and he took off as close to the line as he could without fouling, got an extra reach at the end, and managed to be in perfect balance upon landing which allowed him to spring forward and not fall back on his rear end. Hopefully it wasn't his once in a lifetime Bob Beamon type jump.

I will PM you. I don't want to clutter up the board too much with regular updates. It was, however, nice to have a brief diversion and talk about our kids' accomplishments. Good luck to your daughter in basketball as well.

Brag about your kids, I don’t mind and love reading the stories.

I’m proud of all my kids, I have 4 with 3 still at home. I don’t have many athletic accomplishments to brag on, my youngest has potential in baseball and basketball. He was a really good receiver in football but 1 concussion was enough for me. My oldest boy has a knack for archery. But my biggest brag to this point is my oldest daughter. She had a terrible reading disability, she was able to over come to get a barber degree and she works full time in Dubuque cutting hair and a full time mom and wife. It might not seem like much but she over came her obstacles and she can stand on her own 2 feet.

I read this with high interest. 6 kids 4 of them into adulthood. My boys were successful athletes and smart. 2 engineers and an attorney from higher level schools/programs.

One led the area in large school soccer scoring. Another did very well in HS playing Bates Diopp, the Finke's, Jaquan Lyle and others. Not AAU but HS.

Looking back, I didn't think about concussions that much and they have had issues with the HS concussions later in life. Concussion issues are way underreported and impact under estimated.

They were good kids and successful. I will never understand this generation. I wasn't prepared for how the success in life would lead to arrogance and struggles with how to handle adversity and I was far less doting than most parents. It's ingrained in the culture and it still rubs off on them.

I wish I had focused less on sports and accomplishments and more on being humble and nice.

Don't get me wrong, I am quite proud of them. Wish I had made some changes. Instead of helping them graduate from a top program with honors, more time spent on humantarian needs of others would have been useful. Again, they are still "good kids", just lamenting a bit about how I'd done it differently.

I read this with high interest. 6 kids 4 of them into adulthood. My boys were successful athletes and smart. 2 engineers and an attorney from higher level schools/programs.

One led the area in large school soccer scoring. Another did very well in HS playing Bates Diopp, the Finke's, Jaquan Lyle and others. Not AAU but HS.

Looking back, I didn't think about concussions that much and they have had issues with the HS concussions later in life. Concussion issues are way underreported and impact under estimated.

They were good kids and successful. I will never understand this generation. I wasn't prepared for how the success in life would lead to arrogance and struggles with how to handle adversity and I was far less doting than most parents. It's ingrained in the culture and it still rubs off on them.

I wish I had focused less on sports and accomplishments and more on being humble and nice.

Don't get me wrong, I am quite proud of them. Wish I had made some changes. Instead of helping them graduate from a top program with honors, more time spent on humantarian needs of others would have been useful. Again, they are still "good kids", just lamenting a bit about how I'd done it differently.
My dad, who's health is declining but is still with us, always said about children "They don't come with instruction manuals."

You take your best shot and don't look back, and if they are good kids you thank the lord every day that they are. And I guarantee they will give you more credit for parenting them along then you will ever give yourself.

We all want our kids to have it better than we did, but still want them to be prepared for adversity when they do face it. That's a tall order, and a delicate balancing act.

You hear horror stories all the time of 30 year old college graduates with successful jobs who live at home and are scared to death to move out, because they never were forced to make tough decisions, or face adversity head on.

You helped them with the tough part. They can take it from here. And probably have done so in ways you may not even know.

Sorry, nothing bores me more than people bragging about their kids.

I get that. But this was special to me. Its her senior year. I have been doing BB year round for a lot of years with her. Just a very happy time for me and the end of the blood, sweat and tears that we have experienced together over the last 10 or 11 years. I am really enjoying her last year of ever playing competitive sports.

I appreciate you reading it though.

Latest posts