Props to Archie

IOWA2012

I want to go out and give Devon Archie some props for the defense he played against Johnson. He bodied 25 up and was in his face the whole time.

I really think that was a big factor in the game as well.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. FRAN IS DOING A GOOD JOB WITH ARCHIE. DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS KID - HE COULD BE A BIG FACTOR NEXT YEAR

I am not kidding at all when I say Fran needs to take Archie to see a hypnotist to get him over his freethrow shooting problems. He could shoot a thousand shots a day in practice, but if he doesn't change what is going on inside Archies head, it won't make any difference.

Absolutely, he played great today! Still horrendous at the line, but that's not why he was in the game. He went toe-to-toe with arguably the best big man in the nation today, and held his own. I've said all year that I think he could be a key contributor next year. There is some physical skill there, and another year with Coach Francis might make the difference. It sure did for Cole and Brommer this year.

FYI - Ben Wallace shoots 41.9% and Shaq shoots 52.7% from the line for their careers.

Archie right now is shooting 27.3%.

Wow.

FYI - Ben Wallace shoots 41.9% and Shaq shoots 52.7% from the line for their careers.

Archie right now is shooting 27.3%.

Wow.

Which you should be able to shoot with your eyes closed. It is amazing. That said the kid can definitely play on both ends of the court. Man he could be a difference maker next year I don't care what anybody says.

Which you should be able to shoot with your eyes closed. It is amazing. That said the kid can definitely play on both ends of the court. Man he could be a difference maker next year I don't care what anybody says.

I agree completely on both of your points. I have no idea why some posters are down on this kid. He is long and athletic and will probably be the difference maker next year.

The good thing about him is that he can defend and he can score in the post. He had a fantastic move in todays game.
FT shooting is his weak spot and that is the easiest to learn.
Congrats Devaon Archie!!!!

I have never seen anyone shoot a freethrow that bad. His miss a few weeks ago was worse though.

Everyone wants Iowa to get that athletic big man, well, they have one. Archie can match up defensively against anyone, but first he must stay healthy and two please, please get to at least 50% from the line. When people were projecting starting lineups, I originally had him there over Basabe, obviously I was wrong, but my justification was he is athletic and will play defense, his offensive game has a ways to go and he is 6-9 he has the size, but if he and Melsahn crash the boards and can stay out of foul trouble, Iowa will be able to play with a lot of people next year and could be scary. Archie has a decent skill set, just a matter if he can stay healthy. I would have no issues with him starting, Brommer backing him up and White playing there when Iowa goes small for some match up issues.

Archie may need to try to shoot his free throws Kevin-Smith style. Smoots got much better from the line once he shot them with a step, in rhythm, similar to his jump shot.

I'm not sure it's about his FT stroke unto itself...to miss THAT badly, he must get freaked out knowing that many people are all staring at him...it's totally between the ears. He needs a "Rube Baker" routine to take his mind off of it and get him through it.

Again, unless Fran has two big men and a guard lined up to come this spring who are actually worthy of a commitment, I am in favor of bringing Archie back,and hoping for a ''senior bump'' from both him and Brommer,next year. Jarryd has given us that this year,and I suspect that these two will also be improved next year.
Most importantly,it would give us 4 full schollys for 2012,a strong year in the midwest for preps players,and buy Fran another 6 months to recruit them. I might allow for Iowa to even grab two bigs in 2012 like Woodbury and Thok,and then redshirt a raw giant like Thok,giving Iowa a possible twin tower look down the road.

Archie is athletic,and that can be worked with. I loved how he posted up Bryd and showed a little touch with that shot. Between Mel and Devon, Iowa can protect the rim with some serious hops and length. Lock them all in the gym this summer,Fran,and have them work on some of the weaknesses. As far as free throws,well, who knows? Brommer was bad as a frosh, good as a soph, average as a junior...maybe good as a senior? Maybe Andrew and Devon can take turns rebounding for each other as they work on that aspect of the game this summer?

I am not kidding at all when I say Fran needs to take Archie to see a hypnotist to get him over his freethrow shooting problems. He could shoot a thousand shots a day in practice, but if he doesn't change what is going on inside Archies head, it won't make any difference.

The kid showed huge heart and effort today. If we could get 15-20 minutes a game like that out of him next year that would be huge. Your suggestion is not out of line; there's obviously some demon that jumps up into his body and races all the way to his head when he steps to the charity stripe. He needs help exorcising it.

I have been extremely critical of Archie, but will give the dude some props. He came in and blocked a shot, scored, almost scored again, got some key boards and was no doubt a boost off the bench. Free throw shooting not his forteit, but he played his role well.

The nice thing about Archie is when he gets to play he doesn't get 2 fouls in 3 seconds. If given the option I take Archie over Brommer everyday of the week. If Brommer can stay out of Foul Trouble next year it will be a much better 3 man rotation than people realize.