PREVIEWIN' THE B1G: IOWA

I liked the focus this article had on the offense (especially the focus it placed on JR), but then lost me when it mentioned we have many defensive returners. Barely touched on replacing all the linebackers, and didn't mention replacing any of the secondary.

"The Hawkeye offense will feature more variety and a faster pace this season. A flair of unpredictability should suit Iowa well in the mundane West Division. Expect wide receiver-heavy formations, screen passes, zone scheme, pro-style – all of it. Rudock is able to compartmentalize everything and study defenses to the point where he recognizes what’s coming."

This had better come to fruition. We've been hearing this stuff ever since GD got here, but have rarely seen anything outside of pro-style. Remember the delay of game penalty in 2012 using a "hurry up" offense? KF just seems to have a knack for sucking all of the excitement out of an offense. Anyway, 11 wins minimum with this schedule and a trip to Indy is what I'm expecting. If the quote above does hold true, then I really to believe we have enough offensive talent to score 30-40 points a game.

"The Hawkeye offense will feature more variety and a faster pace this season. A flair of unpredictability should suit Iowa well in the mundane West Division. Expect wide receiver-heavy formations, screen passes, zone scheme, pro-style – all of it. Rudock is able to compartmentalize everything and study defenses to the point where he recognizes what’s coming."

This had better come to fruition. We've been hearing this stuff ever since GD got here, but have rarely seen anything outside of pro-style. Remember the delay of game penalty in 2012 using a "hurry up" offense? KF just seems to have a knack for sucking all of the excitement out of an offense. Anyway, 11 wins minimum with this schedule and a trip to Indy is what I'm expecting. If the quote above does hold true, then I really to believe we have enough offensive talent to score 30-40 points a game.
I'll never say this about any Iowa team, ever. Been burned too many times. Just hope for the best.

ArvadaHawk; .... This had better come to fruition. [B said:
We've been hearing this stuff ever since GD got here, but have rarely seen anything outside of pro-style. Remember the delay of game penalty in 2012 using a "hurry up" offense? KF just seems to have a knack for sucking all of the excitement out of an offens[/B]e.....

Careful , the kool-aid drinkers are gonna come out of the woodwork and carve you up.

Careful , the kool-aid drinkers are gonna come out of the woodwork and carve you up.

I bet not. The kool-aid drinkers save it for when people like you bash totally idiotic things. I don't think anyone here is against fair criticism, like the type that ArvadaHawk posted. For instance, nobody is going to disagree that KF prefers a methodical (or boring) offense. Where they do draw the line is when dolts say things like KF would rather lose the game with than win with a wide open offense.

Get the difference?

I thought it was a decent read. Nothing very earth-shattering. I hope Iowa does take advantage of its favorable schedule because it won't see a schedule like this for awhile. If Iowa is going to make a statement in the conference this is the year to do it. The Hawks need to get back on track and back to where Wisky and MSU currently are.

I don't recall this 2012 season you speak of.

Anyway, 2013 offense was a little more dynamic, I expect 2014 to be even more so...that said... I still like the good defense, tough lines, power first approach....that's just me.

11 minimum wins? lunacy.

GD has been running hurry up since he got here, with lots of WR, but plenty of idiots can't see what is going on in front of them.

I bet not. The kool-aid drinkers save it for when people like you bash totally idiotic things. I don't think anyone here is against fair criticism, like the type that ArvadaHawk posted. For instance, nobody is going to disagree that KF prefers a methodical (or boring) offense. Where they do draw the line is when dolts say things like KF would rather lose the game with than win with a wide open offense.

Get the difference?

Wow, that makes it perfectly clear. Thanks!

In 2012, Iowa's first year in the GD offense, they did no do well.

In 2013, Iowa's second year in the GD offense, they picked up the pace considerably, and was among the leaders in the league in offensive plays.

I get that 2012 was a huge disappointment, but we did lose several games at the buzzer, so we struggled, but were not that far away.

Offensively, I liked our progress last year in terms of getting to the line quickly, with no huddle, then calling the play, but not having play clock pressure at all.
At the spring game, we looked even more comfortable in this scheme, as we should with 2nd year QBs at the helm.
Now, saying 11 wins is the minimum is a bit over the top....the other teams give schollys also, ya know?
Lets just make it to Black Friday with the Big Ten West on the line....that would be an exciting season.

This is the quote that concerns me.

“I want to be able to come to the line and if I see something fuzzy, I want to be able to get us into a safe play where we can get something positive,’’ Rudock said. “I have to keep working.”

We need to be a threat down the field. Playing it safe for 2-4 yards, if the play does get positive yards, is not going to do it. Will it keep the head coach happy and the same QB at the helm? Sure. Will it get us to the BIG championship game? Probably not. Gotta think big every play, then think smaller if that's all you have. I am not interested in always watching a "safe play" especially when the QB cannot make the big play connection when it is open. This kind of thinking will equal another 7-8 win season.

11 wins minimum..... Would it not be easier just rooting for a team like Alabama than firing off ultimatums at this program?

Latest posts