Preview: Hawkeyes Look to Get Back on Winning Track

I'm not liking our chances in this one. Hopefully JB and Wieskamp can get their offensive game going, they've both disappeared the last couple of games.

"Iowa’s five conference wins have come against teams behind it in the standings and with a combined Big Ten record of 11-37. The four teams it’s lost to are 29-10. It fell twice to 9-1 Michigan State."

Zero wins against teams ahead of us in the standings. Zero losses to teams behind us in the standings. Seven of the remaining 10 games are against teams behind us in the standings. Continue the trend and we finish 12-8. I think most will be happy with this result.

This may not sound like an impressive finish. But keep in mind Indiana, Ohio State and Nebraska were all supposed to be much better than us...going into the season. So finishing 12-8 would almost certainly be no worse than 7th in the standings and ahead of 3 teams thought to be better than us by most.

And we won't run into many teams in the NCAA Tournament better than Michigan State, Michigan and Purdue. So it's not as improbable as many would suggest to think this team can make it past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament. This isn't a prediction rather an observation.

I'm not liking our chances in this one. Hopefully JB and Wieskamp can get their offensive game going, they've both disappeared the last couple of games.
This could be another tough one for JB. I do think Cook, Garza and Kreiner can cause Michigan some problems inside. And I hope Moss stays hot.

Before losing all three meetings to Michigan last year, Iowa had won five in a row in the series. That was before Michigan hired Luke Yaklich as its defensive coordinator before last season. He's done an amazing job complementing Beilein's creative offensive sets.

Before losing all three meetings to Michigan last year, Iowa had won five in a row in the series. That was before Michigan hired Luke Yaklich as its defensive coordinator before last season. He's done an amazing job complementing Beilein's creative offensive sets.
Good observation. We beat them like rented mules during the Jok/Uthoff years. We had that overtime win on New Year's day a couple years ago when Bohannon hit some big shots.

Are you making a strategic suggestion? If so, I will also sign on in favor.

For sure a Big Game. Hopefully, the boys and staff put together a complete game at home for once against a true contender. Give the home crowd something to believe in for showing up in masses to Carver.

It's really simple: play like they did in the ISU game and first half of the MSU game and the Hawks win. Short of that, it's probably not going to happen.

In other words, play connected defense, don't be careless with the rock, and avoid hero-ball.

Kenpom/Sagarin Composite:

upload_2019-2-1_10-41-4.png

Kenpom:

upload_2019-2-1_11-38-8.png

Summary:
  • Iowa plays much faster paced
  • Iowa is more efficient on offense
  • Michigan is much more efficient on defense (#1 in the nation)
  • Michigan is an estimated 11.11 points per 100 possessions better net efficiency wise
    • Playing at the average tempo of 67.8 possessions a game, that would mean they are favored by 7.53 points. (give Iowa a 2.5 point advantage for being at home and that is basically what Rob has above with Michigan being favored by 5)

Latest posts