Pretty Concerned

SonofaSailor

I was very, very optimistic about this season...but I am very concerned about how heavily this team relies on the 3-ball...or so it seems...I haven't taken the time to look up the stats...but it seems that if we cannot knock down the 3 we get stagnant fairly quickly. Of course I have only seen two games, so I could be mistaken...anyone have any feelings on this?

I was very, very optimistic about this season...

sorry, but just stop right there. that was your problem. save that for next year.

okay, now back on point. we do have a good amount of flaws. youth being one of them. lack of shooters being the one of them. just a couple worth noting.

Things are going to be up and down. That happens when you have three freshman that play meaningful minutes. I know the game the other day was very frustrating, but Iowa just needs to learn how to be consistent. It will come but not overnight.

I fully expect Iowa to get better over the course of the season. It's better to get the shaky games out of the way early, rather than make the same mistakes in January and February.

This team will play in some sort of postseason. Fran has things heading in the right direction.

Not seeing it Herky. Iowa is a team of shooters and that seems to be the game. Will be easy to defend in BIG1G. Where is the inside scoring going to come from?

White maybe a 3,, but he is a inside threat. this can be a inside outside scoring team once they work out the kinks,
which is the result of mixing in 3 FR getting major minutes at 2 of the biggest positions

Iowa's offense will look better if they start going through Woodbury. He is 7'1" and has some good offensive ability, but he gets the ball in traffic too much. Iowa needs to get Oglesby and Marble on the wings and let Aaron White do his thing from the PF spot and clean up, Woodbury will find him with how active he is. If they double on him, he will kick out to a wing, look I know the WSU game was ugly, but Iowa has the players to be very good, the right combination of players will click soon.

Yes, Iowa will go to the postseason and I still feel it is to the bigger tourney.

Lets not forget Wichita St. is good. They won at VCU. Iowa had a pretty terrible 2nd half.

A basketball team looking sloppy to start the season isn't exactly anything to be too concerned about.

This team does more than shoot threes. Wichita State was a very physical team and it showed. Just look at all the free throws White shot as well as the rest of the team. Their physical defense rattled the Hawks early and didn't allow them to get into the flow of the game. This led to a very poor shooting game inside the arc. If the players get comfortable and hit a few more shots then this game more than likely has a different outcome.

Things are going to be up and down. That happens when you have three freshman that play meaningful minutes. I know the game the other day was very frustrating, but Iowa just needs to learn how to be consistent. It will come but not overnight.

I fully expect Iowa to get better over the course of the season. It's better to get the shaky games out of the way early, rather than make the same mistakes in January and February.

This team will play in some sort of postseason. Fran has things heading in the right direction.
This is correct. Expectations have gotten way out of hand. We'll most likely be a handful of games over .500 I'm OK with that. (This season)

I'd say it's pretty reasonable to say that this is a likely NIT team with a slim shot at a low seed in the big tourney. Those types of teams show similar struggles to what we've had this year (struggle with some "cupcakes, get beat by good but not great teams on a neutral site).

Iowa's offense will look better if they start going through Woodbury. He is 7'1" and has some good offensive ability, but he gets the ball in traffic too much. Iowa needs to get Oglesby and Marble on the wings and let Aaron White do his thing from the PF spot and clean up, Woodbury will find him with how active he is. If they double on him, he will kick out to a wing, look I know the WSU game was ugly, but Iowa has the players to be very good, the right combination of players will click soon.

Yes, Iowa will go to the postseason and I still feel it is to the bigger tourney.
Absolutely the way I see it Sportstalent.....

We have only played six games and have a lot of time to correct things.....

Excellent post as always.....

:)

Last edited:
A basketball team looking sloppy to start the season isn't exactly anything to be too concerned about.

Exactly. WSU is good. I'm not worried. This team will continue to grow throughout the year. Getting more time on the floor for AC will help him over that freshman hump. Ingram too. Gesell doesn't play like a freshman. If the refs hadn't taken MG out of the game early. It would have been a different game without those phantom fouled...

I'm definitely not worried yet. We looked a lot worse in non-conference play last season, and we got things together come conference play. There are a few things we need to clean up, but overall I'm satisfied so far. Wichita State is an NCAA tournament caliber team so it's not like losing to Campbell. If we drive the lane more, improve our in-bounds plays, and toughen up our perimeter D I like our chances this season. I don't have the stats in front of me, but it seemed like our free throw shooting was better against WSU.

I think a lot of people thought the arrival of Woodbury and Olaseni would mean an instant, inside presence that could score at will, or at least dish out for open 8- to 10-footers. Clearly both young players are projects and that hasn't happened, and likely won't without a season or two of experience of Division 1 play.

Last edited:
Exactly. WSU is good. I'm not worried. This team will continue to grow throughout the year. Getting more time on the floor for AC will help him over that freshman hump. Ingram too. Gesell doesn't play like a freshman. If the refs hadn't taken MG out of the game early. It would have been a different game without those phantom fouled...

Those phantom fouls are not the usual: It's the refs fault. They were ridiculous and took us out of the game, among other things, but that finished us.....

We played very well in the first half in a hard fought contest. Couple of breaks and we tie/win the game. I thought the Shocker's last basket, a dunk with about 10 seconds left was entirely classless......

:)

I was very, very optimistic about this season...but I am very concerned about how heavily this team relies on the 3-ball...or so it seems...I haven't taken the time to look up the stats...but it seems that if we cannot knock down the 3 we get stagnant fairly quickly. Of course I have only seen two games, so I could be mistaken...anyone have any feelings on this?

I said the same thing during the Championship Game in Cancun and got slammed. However, why don't we all just take a pill and chill? We've played 6 frickin games and are 5-1. It could be worse. No? I'm pretty sure our horses (Marble, White, etc) are all being talked to by Fran about how they are not playing to their capabilities blah blah blah. The majority on this board love Fran, so, how about we give him a chance to make adjustments? Let's give this another 10 games or so before we start posts about "being concerned". It's ridiculous at this point.

Can't say I am too concerned, when we only lose to a team like WSU by 12 and only hit 4 two-point FGs, I know we will shoot better. What is encouraging is the defense, the rate we are getting to the foul line and our depth. The shooting will get better as everyone settles into their roles and feels more comfortable with everything. It's only been 6 games and I am more encouraged than concerned.

Latest posts