Prediction Time - Xavier

TecmoSuperHawk

I caught a glimpse of the Xavier game the other day against IPFW (coached by former Hoosier and still current d-bag Dane Fife). Forward Jamel McLean is back sooner than expected from an eye socket injury and will be a force inside. He is big and athletic, he had a monster block on one play the other night. But overall Xavier is struggling mightily. It took OT to beat IPFW, they also barely beat Western Michigan in their opener and lost to a D2 school in an exhibition.

They do have a solid PG in Holloway, who scored 24 points with 9 rebounds and 4 assists vs. IPFW. However, they are struggling with their offense as a whole. Here's a quote from Holloway:
“It’s just a tough time,†Holloway said. “We’re missing Jordan (Crawford) right now. Before we’d just throw him the ball and watch it, and now we’ve got guys that’s trying to find their roles and also we’re learning a new offense this year. This isn’t the same thing we did.â€

Now we know Iowa is also a major work in progress, but I think the team has been looking forward to this trip to really see where they are and how well they have adapted to Fran's new system. I think the Hawks play with a ton of energy and with Gatens likely return they will have more veteran leadership out there as well as a 3 point threat. Given Xavier's struggles offensively, if Iowa can play D like they did against ULM and cut down on our turnovers, we can win this game.

I'm taking the optimistic look on this and will predict a 73-68 win for the Hawks.

Yes Gatens is back
Gatens back for tough Xavier matchup | Hawk Central

Even with a struggling Xavier this would be a huge win in my eyes. When is the last time Iowa BB has picked up a win like this. Xavier is a good team with a solid big man. It will be good to see what we do against a team with this kind of size and strength.

It sounds like coach is pumped for this challenge and the infection has spread to the players. Gatens will be back, and at minimum will ad more leadership on the floor. I would like to see archie start playing more physical when coming off the bench.

I think hawks pull out a huge win. Hawks will struggle at the line coming down the stretch and make it a nail biter for fans watching on their laptops.

83 - 80

Last edited by a moderator:
The barometer for progress this year is being in the game against top teams with 4 minutes to play. I think we accomplish that moral victory and the game ends with a score that is inflated based on free throws at the end.

XU 84
Iowa 72

This trip would be a great time to build team chemistry, get Gatens back into the flow, and come home with a new sense of Iowa basketball.
The W's and L's are not as important as coming together as a team.

Sorry it doesn't go well.

XU 67
Iowa 59

Iowa is slowly getting better, but tonight just doesn't look like it.

Hope I am wrong.

I think both teams shoot like crap with alot of fouls and TO's for both teams and its a low scoring game. I can't stand the gyms these tournaments are played in and I think it messes with the shooting. I'll go 64-54 Xavier.

We still suck bad. Our one win to date was against a team in the 300s in the Pomeroy ratings. XU 90 Iowa 63.

We are predicted to beat ISU which is encouraging. They are going to have a long ugly year.

We still suck bad. Our one win to date was against a team in the 300s in the Pomeroy ratings. XU 90 Iowa 63.

We are predicted to beat ISU which is encouraging. They are going to have a long ugly year.

I can't see us beating ISU this season, even at home.

Um.. you did see where Pomeroy has ISU projected to go 17-14? Right now for ISU that record would be a thing of beauty not ugly.. Would result in a post season bid like the NIT or whatever that other tournament is.

He has Iowa with 10 wins, and that includes a sweep of the state schools.
He has all 3 games a pic em's (2 pt wins) that all are in Iowa's favor.

Me I think there is not enough of a sampling for these Pomeroy rankings to be very accurate yet..

I think Iowa surprises Xavier.

77-74

I have Xavier winning 84- 66.

Bad news? Hawks are not ready for a team like Xavier.
Good news? If Iowa loses, then I will get to watch all three games on the webcast.
If they win, then the next two games are not webcast,right?

I have Xavier winning 84- 66.

Bad news? Hawks are not ready for a team like Xavier.
Good news? If Iowa loses, then I will get to watch all three games on the webcast.
If they win, then the next two games are not webcast,right?

I believe you are correct. If they win they don't play until Sunday, and both games are on TV.

I have Iowa winning down the stretch. 77-71.

Not sure what people have seen these 1st two games that make them think Iowa can beat a team that isnt awful. Hopefully Gatens makes a big difference, but this early i dont see it

Xavier 77
Iowa 65

EDIT - After a little more research Xavier might be bad but i m sticking with my prediction. They are a 6 point favorite FYI

Last edited:
Xavier has a 7'0" center. We don't have anyone taller than 6'7"! They have a true big and better athletes.

Xavier, 81-66

Latest posts