Positive thread hoops

kgoblee

I really think we look like different team when we take the ball inside. I like that offense much better than the one earlier in the year. I could live with that style of play if we start winning a few more games.

I agree. It is funny, but it seems like Iowa has passed the ball inside more against OSU this year than any other team considering Fort Lauderdale is sitting in there. The inside out game is huge for this team and I hope they continue with it the rest of the season. It definitely gives them better looks from the outside, so maybe we will see some better shooting from the three point range?

Ask yourself WHY we could go inside? We started going inside because their center was in foul trouble. The only teams we have been able to go inside against have teams that we match up well with inside, smaller teams. Once we face teams with large centers we no longer can go inside and are forced to shoot 3's. So the answer is to recruit a 5 10, 6 11, or 7 0 foot center that we can post up.

Iowa was going inside well before Lauderdale was in foul trouble yesterday and they went inside very well in the first game against OSU. Iowa has trouble getting the ball inside when they get pressured on the perimeter and there are athletic big men down low. For example, Purdue and Michigan. I don't think anyone can deny the fact that Iowa has moved the ball inside/out more this year than past years. I would like to see it increase even more the rest of the year.

The ball needs to get inside to keep defenses honest and Cole and Fuller can both score inside. Maybe not all the time but can do it. I see many times that our posts are wide open where the ball could get thrown in but I have noticed the guards don't always throw it in. I have notice this with Gatens a lot, he doesn't throw it in and just waits for screens to come out. Getting the ball in gives us the chance to score, pick up a foul and the D, or kick out to an open shooter.

First off, I completely agree with the positive comments of the OP.
I think it has a lot to do with how we're being played. As an earlier poster said, we struggle mightily against teams that pressure our backcourt in the half court set. It doesn't seem like that was a major emphasis with OSU (although you wouldn't think so considering all the turnovers they forced). Iowa's perimeter players had the ability to actually see the post in the two games against OSU instead of a blanket of opposing guards. When they can see the post player I think it is a priority for this team to get it to them, but that's obviously more difficult than it seems.

Wednesday's game vs NW is a test of our ability to get it inside. OSU dabbles with the 1-3-1 half court zone trap,but is not really dedicated to it. NW is. They play it over 80% of the time based on the many games I have seen them play.

NW has long limbed Shurna and Crawford on the wings,with another long,quick defender,Nash at the top. They force smaller guards to lob over the top out front,and really make it tough to get the ball below the free throw line area...unless you have very quick penetrating guards or tall guards who can make more sharply angled passes around the top which could leave them out of position.

They have 6ft Juice Thompson down in bottom chasing back and forth and matched up against a big guy...if we can get it to Cole or Fuller down there, we can do some damage. Last year with Jake on top, we had the size to counter their long guys better, so getting it below the ft line will probably be an issue for Cully, or lil lick. Gatens and may have a chance.

The NW game will hinge on getting the ball into the paint...good test of your theory.

Wednesday's game vs NW is a test of our ability to get it inside. OSU dabbles with the 1-3-1 half court zone trap,but is not really dedicated to it. NW is. They play it over 80% of the time based on the many games I have seen them play.

NW has long limbed Shurna and Crawford on the wings,with another long,quick defender,Nash at the top. They force smaller guards to lob over the top out front,and really make it tough to get the ball below the free throw line area...unless you have very quick penetrating guards or tall guards who can make more sharply angled passes around the top which could leave them out of position.

They have 6ft Juice Thompson down in bottom chasing back and forth and matched up against a big guy...if we can get it to Cole or Fuller down there, we can do some damage. Last year with Jake on top, we had the size to counter their long guys better, so getting it below the ft line will probably be an issue for Cully, or lil lick. Gatens and may have a chance.

The NW game will hinge on getting the ball into the paint...good test of your theory.

I agree with this. Even watching teams with excellent athletes, they struggle against the NW zone getting inside. I think it is a terrible matchup for this team. This game could be at Illinois ugly. I expect a huge number of 3s and I suspect many will be of the desperation kind. Hope I am wrong

I agree that NW will be a good test of our ability (or lack thereof) to get the ball inside. It will be interesting to see if that has been emphasized against the 1-3-1 that NW plays. I also agree that we did a better job of getting the ball inside against OSU than any other team this year. We only shot 5 three pointers in the first half on Sunday (and made 4) while getting the ball inside right from the start (before Lauderdale was in foul trouble). I am hoping to see this again.

I agree with this. Even watching teams with excellent athletes, they struggle against the NW zone getting inside. I think it is a terrible matchup for this team. This game could be at Illinois ugly. I expect a huge number of 3s and I suspect many will be of the desperation kind. Hope I am wrong

I completely agree. Not looking forward to it.