Please Place ?s for 5/13 Mailbag Pod Here

Food for thought on the BIG Ten fb season... Maybe they can consider a tournament format much like the World Cup? I think this would be a fun dimension to consider for a shortened season... Divisional round robin would give 6 games then seeding for playoff until championship game - start mid Sept & end by 10/30. Then align playoffs to guarantee 3 additional games. Worse two teams from each division could play each other to hit the 9 game guarantee. Championship in Dec. Thoughts? Pretty sure this would never happen. LOL

Who comes after Doyle leaves?

I know that's an unanswerable question, but I was really, really hoping Weisman would stay on and take over. Obviously he could come back when that time comes, but Doyle is 51 and eventually will have to retire. That's huge in my book because we've had the best in the business at Iowa for over 20 years.

Are there any news from the Garza camp? I have not seen any NBA mock drafts that have Garza going in the first round but I don't know if that is a criteria for Luka.

Are there any news from the Garza camp? I have not seen any NBA mock drafts that have Garza going in the first round but I don't know if that is a criteria for Luka.
My thoughts (which are worth how much you paid for them)...

We're not going to see Luka in a Hawkeye uniform again.

If there was a good chance that there'd be a season played this coming winter I think he'd be back to try and make up for some unfinished business from last season. But the longer this drags on the more there's rumblings of not having basketball (at the collegiate level), and I'm guessing that's why he hasn't announced a decision yet. Even on the 1% chance that they have a season this year, it will obviously be in front of empty bleachers, and no matter what anyone says it'd be like glorified pickup games with zero energy and crowd noise. He's not gonna waste a year on that super watered down stuff and possibly get injured when he could go get paid somewhere. Luka is gone baby gone, and it's not his fault at all, just a casualty of the circumstances.

If there was a good chance that there'd be a season played this coming winter I think he'd be back to try and make up for some unfinished business from last season. But the longer this drags on the more there's rumblings of not having basketball (at the collegiate level), and I'm guessing that's why he hasn't announced a decision yet. Even on the 1% chance that they have a season this year, it will obviously be in front of empty bleachers, and no matter what anyone says it'd be like glorified pickup games with zero energy and crowd noise. He's not gonna waste a year on that super watered down stuff and possibly get injured when he could go get paid somewhere. Luka is gone baby gone, and it's not his fault at all, just a casualty of the circumstances.

But how do we know there will even be a NBA season? If he stays the worst case scenario is he winds up with a degree, if he leaves the worst case scenario is he winds up with nothing. I could see if he had a legit shot at being a #1 pick because you get a nice signing bonus with a guaranteed contract. But I don't know what Luka, and his dad, are thinking.

But how do we know there will even be a NBA season? If he stays the worst case scenario is he winds up with a degree, if he leaves the worst case scenario is he winds up with nothing. I could see if he had a legit shot at being a #1 pick because you get a nice signing bonus with a guaranteed contract. But I don't know what Luka, and his dad, are thinking.
I don’t know their thoughts either, but I do know that professional sports just by their nature are much more likely to take place than collegiate just because it’s a job not tied to a student body or university. Pro sports organizations aren’t worried about your health and well being, they just want the money and you know that when you sign up.

Frank is on record

Frank is on record saying that he's looking for a guarantee - not happening. IMO

We're down four runs in the fifth inning but don't know whether to concede the game when it's still winnable or shoot all our guns trying to come back when it's not a guarantee.

If college and pro sports call it a day for 2020, there could be dramatic medical advances in the next two months after the decision to bang sports has been made.

If we forge ahead the virus could surge with nothing to slow it down and all hell could break loose.

Bottom line. Jobs must come back before sports, or millions of people won't be able to attend the games and/or patronize the sponsors anyway.

I said when things started getting shut down back in March that I'm glad I'm not the one making the decisions.

I agree with this 100%. At first I thought it was a no brainer that he'd be back, but think you're absolutely right. He's already considered old in terms of the draft and with the season (both NBA and college) up in the air at this point why wouldn't he declare and go the Euro or D-League route when he doesn't get drafted. Makes alot more sense to get a foot in the door now at the professional levels to get a shot at someday getting to the NBA then waiting another year to have to make the same decision again.

Before pandemic definitely saw him coming back, but with all that's going on now I simply can't see him playing the waiting game to see what lies in store for college sports.

I agree with this 100%. At first I thought it was a no brainer that he'd be back, but think you're absolutely right. He's already considered old in terms of the draft and with the season (both NBA and college) up in the air at this point why wouldn't he declare and go the Euro or D-League route when he doesn't get drafted. Makes alot more sense to get a foot in the door now at the professional levels to get a shot at someday getting to the NBA then waiting another year to have to make the same decision again.

Before pandemic definitely saw him coming back, but with all that's going on now I simply can't see him playing the waiting game to see what lies in store for college sports.
Unlike Uthoff and Cook, Garza is a legit NBA'er who will have a solid journeyman career like a Hinrich/Korver type and might even start somewhere for three or four years. He has absolutely zero to gain by coming back after this shitshow pandemic. It'd be a watered-down season in front of no fans, and if it gets cancelled he ain't gonna wait a second year without playing somewhere.

Garza's gone, my dudes.

Unlike Uthoff and Cook, Garza is a legit NBA'er who will have a solid journeyman career like a Hinrich/Korver type and might even start somewhere for three or four years. He has absolutely zero to gain by coming back after this shitshow pandemic. It'd be a watered-down season in front of no fans, and if it gets cancelled he ain't gonna wait a second year without playing somewhere.

Garza's gone, my dudes.

I absolutely love the way he plays and think he's a phenomenal talent, but I think his skill set gets him drafted in the 80's and 90's, but not so sure now. He's smart and a hard worker on both ends, but I just don't see him able to keep up with NBA bigs.