Playoff and Florida State

BigD

Eventually the playoff will expand to take in enough teams to account for bias and error.

Florida State is evidence of what could have happened. Yes they weren’t selected into the four team playoff but they were barely held out.

Also, how many teams may have slipped (not named Alabama) early in the season but by season’s end are one of the best teams in college football.

I am hearing talk of expansion to 24 teams. That may not be a perfect size but it will open a bigger sample size that may include a couple of teams that may have two losses that could possibly go on to win a championship.

By the way Geogia slaughtered Florida State. A Florida State team that whined and cried about being cheated out of being in the four team playoff.

Next year it goes to twelve teams but from comments on the BTN it may not have the best twelve teams in college football. A twenty- four team playoff would allow for inclusion of smaller division champs and still incorporate the perceived top twenty teams (some with two losses) in college football.

Eventually the playoff will expand to take in enough teams to account for bias and error.

Florida State is evidence of what could have happened. Yes they weren’t selected into the four team playoff but they were barely held out.

Also, how many teams may have slipped (not named Alabama) early in the season but by season’s end are one of the best teams in college football.

I am hearing talk of expansion to 24 teams. That may not be a perfect size but it will open a bigger sample size that may include a couple of teams that may have two losses that could possibly go on to win a championship.

By the way Geogia slaughtered Florida State. A Florida State team that whined and cried about being cheated out of being in the four team playoff.

Next year it goes to twelve teams but from comments on the BTN it may not have the best twelve teams in college football. A twenty- four team playoff would allow for inclusion of smaller division champs and still incorporate the perceived top twenty teams (some with two losses) in college football.

No excuses here, but Florida State had 28 players opt out of the game and their starting QB was out with an injury while the 2nd stringer was one of the opt outs. It wasn't really the FSU team that had played early in the year. Still believe they would have lost but not by 60.

No excuses here, but Florida State had 28 players opt out of the game and their starting QB was out with an injury while the 2nd stringer was one of the opt outs. It wasn't really the FSU team that had played early in the year. Still believe they would have lost but not by 60.
Ironically my son just told
me this same thing about the opt outs at the same time you posted this.

They had opt outs and I took that into account as I was watching it. What the expanded playoff will do is put teams like Georgia in. They had no shot to get in when it came to picking the final 4. Michigan and Washington were gimmes. Period. They could take 2 more teams. If the next 3 were Alabama, Texas, and Georgia, what argument did Georgia have? It was settled on the field. Texas beat Alabama and Alabama beat Georgia. Easy to pick two from those 3. You never see it that easy. However, if they were truly taking the 4 best teams, Should Georgia be in it? I think so, but the committee got it right. There will be arguments about who the 12th and 13th teams are next year just like the last at large teams are in basketball, but if you're in those conversations, you just need to be better. You won't have to be perfect anymore. Also, there are those that worry that adding teams makes it watered down (in all sports, NCAA and pros). My take on it is that, while it may be watered down, the more teams that are in it, the more games I get to watch.

They had opt outs and I took that into account as I was watching it. What the expanded playoff will do is put teams like Georgia in. They had no shot to get in when it came to picking the final 4. Michigan and Washington were gimmes. Period. They could take 2 more teams. If the next 3 were Alabama, Texas, and Georgia, what argument did Georgia have? It was settled on the field. Texas beat Alabama and Alabama beat Georgia. Easy to pick two from those 3. You never see it that easy. However, if they were truly taking the 4 best teams, Should Georgia be in it? I think so, but the committee got it right. There will be arguments about who the 12th and 13th teams are next year just like the last at large teams are in basketball, but if you're in those conversations, you just need to be better. You won't have to be perfect anymore. Also, there are those that worry that adding teams makes it watered down (in all sports, NCAA and pros). My take on it is that, while it may be watered down, the more teams that are in it, the more games I get to watch.
Something needs to change. When you have bowls being sponsored by pop tarts and frosted flakes, it has more than jumped the shark. The Wild West of NIL and the Portal has to be tamed some way(s)......and something has to be done to make the post season worthwhile. Minor Bowl games with no skin in the game in giving the chance leading to a possible NT is no longer a go.

Personally I would like to see stipulations made (contracts) that for NIL money, with the exception of legitimate medical injuries or coaching decisons made by coaches, they need to play in the non conference, conference, and post season games. No more opting out for that NIL money, otherwise you owe that sum back. Now, for the best of the best, that still may not be a problem, but it would help slow the decline of the college game.

And, no entering the portal until all post-season games have concluded.

And, yes, add more teams and make it true play-off experience. That is what makes March Madness so great.

This would clean some of this bullshit up and not having embarrassing games like in the Orange Bowl that is suppose to match-up two marquee teams.

Last edited:
You are correct, once the playoffs expand to 12, the 13th through 16th teams (or more) will be arguing they should have been in. The arguments will always be there for more expansion, just like they are in college basketball. There is one big difference between the two sports though. In basketball, there are probably at least 20 teams that could possibly win the championship. In football, once you get past about the top 6-8, the teams are not championship material.

I'm sure the pull of extra money will expand the field to 16 eventually and it does make it line up evenly with no byes, but I hope that's it. Because beyond that in football it becomes very watered down.

Figure out how many conferences "qualify". Win your conference. Go to the playoffs.
This isn't rocket science.
It seems there's a lot of energy being spent discussing how to get quality matchups so they are fun to watch on TV. Which had exactly nothing to do with determining a champion.

Win your conference and go.

We were coming on strong at the end of 2008, whipping Wisconsin, demolishing Minnesota, and pasting South Carolina in the Outback Bowl. The defense was gelling and nobody could stop Shonn Greene.

We might have been one of the four or five best teams in the country by the end of that season and it would have been fun to see how we would have held up in a playoff format. That team was a great example of a team that started slow but finished strong

Latest posts